WAR is officially dead, looks like WoW is the winner

yeah, man, i guess zerg vs zerg keep/city sieges actually is a better form of pvp :rolleyes: i'll admit, roaming 6v6 would be fun like daoc 8v8 was, but i'd still prefer 5v5 as it's instant action vs roaming around trying to find fights, you don't have to worry about other groups adding in, and you're matched with equally skilled groups. /shrug, whatever, i know a lot of people laugh at arena - don't really care anymore.

wow came at the right time. when world of warcraft came out can you name one "big" mmo? i mean sure everquest was out but by the time wow came out eq had its few year dynasty, eq had out dated graphics and was due to be pushed off as they put out "everquest 2"

I think wow isnt so much about an amazing game. just something semi decent and made to be very addicting.

It certainly helped that it was Blizzard who created it. They had a great backstory they could work with and that people could get into and enjoy, but even the people who knew nothing about Warcraft got into it simply because it was an easy game to start playing. The learning curve just isn't that steep in WoW. It's a little bit different when you start raiding, and that can separate a lot of the intelligent players from the, well, the rest, but just to play the game is a fun and enjoyable experience because it's like reading a Harry Potter book. It's an easy read, and you don't usually feel like you're working (at least until you raid and do dailies and crap).

theyre two completely different pvp schemes. they shouldnt even be compared. and warhammer could easily have arenas. likeways wow could have rvr... but thats a big "could".

wow came at the right time. when world of warcraft came out can you name one "big" mmo? i mean sure everquest was out but by the time wow came out eq had its few year dynasty, eq had out dated graphics and was due to be pushed off as they put out "everquest 2"

I think wow isnt so much about an amazing game. just something semi decent and made to be very addicting.

When I started playing I think EQ2 had just been released. I remember seeing gameplay video from it and it had shiny bump mapped high poly models of the most generic boring crap imaginable.

The only MMO I've found enjoyable for the past 5 years other than Warcraft was City of Heroes/City of villains. It had some of the same "fun to play" elements that World of Warcraft had. However, where WoW evolved to get rid of a lot of its grind, and create new more detailed and interesting environments, CoH/V kept the same xp penalties, the same prefab office buildings, and reused a lot of powersets, only lighting was red now. It won me over on concept for quite a while, but its execution wasn't enough to hold me in.

Other than that, Age of Conan stole some thunder for about 2 weeks but now I'm sure the servers are ghost towns.

Well, it can't really be blamed on the people who played the game. From the looks of it it's a lack of support from EA/Mythic. I'm not going to Itoldyouso that they would be after the initial $50 and run, I did buy the game after all (in my defense I was pressured while drunk). But let's just say I have a complete lack of surprise.

fundamentally its a better game, just requires a strong population

the player mentalities were all wrong too with people sc grinding.

that could have been fixed with some easy changes by mythic

Perhaps some folks will be flowing back to WAR after they clear everything in WotLK in a few weeks.

Doubt it. Blizz's strength is there adaptability and flexibility. Those attributes are typically much more evident in smaller companies (with smaller brand names).

Any MMO out there that has similar characteristics will fail. If you ask me, AoC had a better chance had they had the support.

The real problem with MMOs is that it is a saturated genre now. The same reason I fucking hate new WW2 games is the same reason I didn't play WAR.

There needs to be something new to make it exciting again.

I played Duke3d, Quake (and quake was a lot less fun). Then bam, Tribes happened. I played fps games since then until I found shadowbane. That was excellent.

Even WoW was excellent. I got the "This is cool, I feel like playing it tonight" vibe.

Since WoW, I haven't found a game like that, but it's bound to happen again soon.

i had a lot more fun playing warhammer than world of warcraft

i played wow like other ppl play sudoku

it takes almost no concentration and i feel like i'm doing something while i watch tv

If WAR's legacy is that it makes Blizz get its shit together and start making changes with their game, so be it.

There are fundamental mechanics in WAR that I wish Blizzard would implement into their engine, but Iczer said it best. I don't agree that there is no content at 40 but I believe they needed something a bit more considering when they released the game.

They should have waited and released the game well after WOTLK came out, because the timing played right into Blizzard's hand. I know in the current market it's not really economically feasible to just wait 6 more months but it would have helped a lot.

The population is the main reason I've switched back to WoW. Frankly, all my friends got fed up with getting zerged by 40 people when we had 15, and left. WoW is a much easier game to sit down and play with 5-6 buddies...in that sense it's even more casual than WAR.

But with all of this said, I've given WoW a lot of hate in the past, and honestly I'll be the first to say this expansion is a VAST fucking improvement over BC and even WAR. Mechanically I still fundamentally disagree with the CC of WoW, but overall this expansion is a great success.

The game is darker, the zones are much more detailed and epic (Icecrown is perhaps the most badass zone in any MMO I've played) deep arms in warrior got some love for PvP (DEEP arms, not MS.), some of the RNG is gone with the removal of mace stuns and the changing of windfury (now if we could get rid of blackout, imp hammie, imp wing clip, etc) and they are making an honest effort to integrate utility into the prot tree for PvP. The new BGs (the world BG and SotA) are more complex and objective based--a nice change of pace.

So I actually applaud Blizz for knowing what they needed to do to get some of the WAR players back--even some of the more fanboyish ones like myself. Again, if this is WAR's legacy, to give Blizz a bunch of reasons to improve their game, fine by me :)

Last edited:
Back