[Vista] uhh...what happened?

impulse

Veteran X
So I went to the beach for a week and left my laptop in sleep mode on my desk (not plugged in). Apparently the battery died during the week and the computer suffered a "unexpected shutdown". So when I restarted it last night Vista (ult x64) does its thing saying it needs to check disks b/c of the "unexpected shutdown" and it says it fixes a bunch of files that got fucked up (....how???). So one would assume all is good...but noooooooooooooooooo.

Now I have absolutely zero sound, opening the volume mixer tells me "no audio devise is installed". Windows Sidebar errors upon starting and will not run. Windows System Restore will not run. It says that vsstrace.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. WTF!?!?!?! I hate vista sometimes.

Up til now the damn computer has been running beautifully but it suddenly has decided to take a big old shit on itself.

Ohhhh and the Networking functions don't work anymore either. It says I am not connected to a network...but I am getting wireless internet. I can't stream media to my xbox anymore and I could last week. Please help...

Welcome to Windows. The worlds' first self-destructing operating system.

Please reinstall regularly.

If a machine shuts off in the middle of writing to a drive, all sorts of nasties can occur.

Then when windows error-checks the drive, it removes truncated files or files it can't find the allocation table.

Which leaves you with having to reformat/reinstall.

Last edited:
If a machine shuts off in the middle of writing to a drive, all sorts of nasties can occur.

Then when windows error-checks the drive, it moves truncated files or files it can't find the allocation table.

Which leaves you with having to reformat/reinstall.
Ayup. Same thing happened to my wife's PC a couple weeks ago.

Ugh...so even putting the Vista install CD in and trying to repair from that won't work? (I need to go find the disk still...)

Just found out Windows Update isn't working anymore either. It gives error code 80070005 which apparently Microsoft knows about but hasn't developed a solution to for x64.

fuck

You're using NTFS? I've never had substantial corruption while using NTFS; I used to have issues any time the computer crashed when I was using FAT16/FAT32 (which happened all the time, what with Windows being shit then).

It can happen though, and when it does you're fairly fucked. You can try using the command that's supposed to scan system files and repair them if they have issues:

sfc /scannow

but I don't know if it'll help.

You're using NTFS? I've never had substantial corruption while using NTFS; I used to have issues any time the computer crashed when I was using FAT16/FAT32 (which happened all the time, what with Windows being shit then).

It can happen though, and when it does you're fairly fucked. You can try using the command that's supposed to scan system files and repair them if they have issues:

sfc /scannow

but I don't know if it'll help.

Yes my C: drive is formatted in NTFS.

running that sfc /scannow thing currently.

Yup, never let your system Sleep/Hybrid sleep/hybernating.

Worst system in the world.

Sleep means your system is still active to a certain point and if power goes out while its in sleep, its normally worse then if your using the computer and the power goes off(because of the windows shutting down with 5% left to allow you to save everything in time and give the system sufficient time to stop doing anything)

first thing I turn off any system is sleep/hybrid sleep or hybernation

You can attempt a repair install from the Vista CD (assuming you have one).

I have not actually done that on a Vista install because I only run XP.

The Vista Repair is a trimmed down version of what use to be Winternals. It'll let you do System Restores and it'll attempt to repair Startup Issues if it detects anything wrong. It's actually very good.

The full version is now called DART - Diagnostic and Recovery Toolset. You can only get access to DART via some retardedly expensive licensing agreement, I believe - we had it at my previous job, and it was fucking amazing. Wish I had made a copy of the disc before I got the axe.

Honestly Josh M, I would just download the most recent Windows 7 build and try that out. Never really liked vista to begin with.

Honestly Josh M, I would just download the most recent Windows 7 build and try that out. Never really liked vista to begin with.

:lol: and which LoH dude are you? (blacksails, ninja w/e I'm guessing...) You guys switch names so often I can't keep track.

Back