[video games] Section 8 Hmmm.....this looks kind of familiar.

Im having fun testing it, it doesnt play like tribes at all. Jetpack is very limited.

Im looking forward to it. Im getting tired of the COD games. Granted they are fun but something like this will be a nice change.

Hopefully it will come close to what Tribes used to be but im doubting it.

i've been playing it for the past few weeks.....it certainly has elements of tribes (deployables) but in reality is soooooooo slow, that it plays nothing like tribes. the lead game designer was a shoutcaster for tribes matches, not sure what nick he uses though (saw it in an interview). imagine tribes 2, with no skiing, and slowed down about 20x, then they put an overdrive feature in like legions where if you hold down the sprint key long enough, you run really fast (their version of skiing i guess)

i could see it being really fun if they really speed it up a bunch...

the jetpack only has like a few seconds worth of fuel, and then it needs to recharge for about 10-15 seconds i think.

years ago, i went down to timegate studios (makers of section8) as part of my job - we were hoping to work with them on something else, but it didn't work out for whatever reason. anyway, when i brought up tribes to the guys, they certainly knew quite a lot about it....and tribes:vengeance (told me t:v accidently shipped with all the unrealscript game source and you could extract it with a certain command lol...i think this mattered less because sierra eventually released most of the script source)

Last edited:
Looks pretty good.. but that video mentions sniping 3 times in less than 3 minutes :cry: Can people not make FPS games without sniping?

i've been playing it for the past few weeks.....it certainly has elements of tribes (deployables) but in reality is soooooooo slow, that it plays nothing like tribes. the lead game designer was a shoutcaster for tribes matches, not sure what nick he uses though (saw it in an interview). imagine tribes 2, with no skiing, and slowed down about 20x, then they put an overdrive feature in like legions where if you hold down the sprint key long enough, you run really fast (their version of skiing i guess)

i could see it being really fun if they really speed it up a bunch...

the jetpack only has like a few seconds worth of fuel, and then it needs to recharge for about 10-15 seconds i think.

years ago, i went down to timegate studios (makers of section8) as part of my job - we were hoping to work with them on something else, but it didn't work out for whatever reason. anyway, when i brought up tribes to the guys, they certainly knew quite a lot about it....and tribes:vengeance (told me t:v accidently shipped with all the unrealscript game source and you could extract it with a certain command lol...i think this mattered less because sierra eventually released most of the script source)

Brett Norton is Nordramor who used to cast T2 for TsN.

Back