UFC 148: Silva vs Sonnen

WTF is that. Two out of shape guys who look like they are in slow motion. Shows how much better the athletes train and are in shape these days.

That was after 7 rounds of Ali absorbing an onslaught from Foreman to gas him out, and then finishing him off when he realised he had nothing left in his tank.

Not 3 like your MMA fights. 7 rounds of being a human punching bag.

Both of them looked exhausted? Yeah no shit.

Out of shape? Troll more.

That was after 7 rounds of Ali absorbing an onslaught from Foreman to gas him out, and then finishing him off when he realised he had nothing left in his tank.

Er...

To be fair,

Boxing is not a gym sport. You can succeed and not be in the best shape of your life. Boxing has a great deal of skill involved but one of them is not physical condition.

the UFC is a gym sport. It has much smaller gloves, wrestling and grappling (which forces blood into the arms and weakens punching ability) and etc etc

Thanks, I appreciate they aren't the same sport.

Would you agree that Ali and Foreman were out of shape in that fight then?

In comparison to MMA fighters? Hell yeah those guys were out of shape.

Boxers have always put good emphasis on rope work and cardio in general but nothing compares to the level MMA took it.

some of these guys are training at Olympic levels. They have the physical statistics of marathon runners/triathlon competitors of world calibre. It's just a whole new science in terms of health and fitness.

That's a bit of an unreasonable comparison. Like saying that 100m runners in the 70's were "slow" compared to Usain Bolt.

The two were still pretty damn fit.

3 minute rounds compared to 5 minutes. and MMA is more tiring because grappling uses more muscles.

Today's athletes are leaps and bounds better. This is true for ANY sport. Larger population pool + better training = better results.

But arguing today's boxers are in worse shape than their mma counterpart is fucking absurd.

Boxing is dying because top athletes go into other sports.

Boxing is dying because top athletes go into other sports.

lol, i don't think you have cause and effect down pat on this one.

if the money was there and talent translated to money, they would be there. if you're a top athlete a guaranteed contract sounds a lot better than trusting a promoter in a shady sport to 'bring you to the top'

lol, i don't think you have cause and effect down pat on this one.

if the money was there and talent translated to money, they would be there. if you're a top athlete a guaranteed contract sounds a lot better than trusting a promoter in a shady sport to 'bring you to the top'

I agree with you. I didn't say WHY top athletes no longer pursue a boxing career, just that they don't.

I was commenting on the "Boxing requires less cardio than MMA" comments. Fucking ridic

I agree with you. I didn't say WHY top athletes no longer pursue a boxing career, just that they don't.

I was commenting on the "Boxing requires less cardio than MMA" comments. Fucking ridic

well, it definetely doesn't require more. Personally i always thought wrestlers often had the most strenuous workouts

Boxing is dead because it's a hidden sport. Only on PPV, no fights on ABC's Wide World of Sports like the old days. Greed from promoters has caused this. 4 leagues, too complicated to follow. If boxing was so great, it would be on ESPN, or a major network (ABC) like the old days, but it isn't. They don't want to develop a soap opera. Every sport needs a soap opera for the fans to follow, or it doesn't matter.

In comparison to MMA fighters? Hell yeah those guys were out of shape.

Boxers have always put good emphasis on rope work and cardio in general but nothing compares to the level MMA took it.

some of these guys are training at Olympic levels. They have the physical statistics of marathon runners/triathlon competitors of world calibre. It's just a whole new science in terms of health and fitness.

some of them have pretty terrible cardi0 tho LoL

even those challenging 4 the belts :)

yeah right...

You can say what you want but Ali's striking is leagues ahead of MMA fighters. In truth, most of the UFC fighters are sloppy kickboxers at best.

They aren't the same caliber of striker as seen in K-1 or something.

MMA is better for me to watch but there is a place for both MMA and Boxing in this world.

Boxing fans are just jealous of MMA's surging popularity. They forget that its a young sport here.
MMA fighter in K1:

bro boxing is on espn. espn2 fight night is like the only boxing on TV in america these days

the europeans have way more boxing matches on friday/saturday nights but u can only see those if u search for them; not on the boobtube

Back