TW Parents -

lol

lets not get crazy HK....though this is our first, so there is some trial and error ;)

NGFM - I wont be educating my kids at home (though my wife is a teacher...) as I believe social development is important. I agree about HS though.

The thought is that the first 4-5 years of life are critical in a kids development, and the question is do I want someone other than my wife and I to be spending 70% of their life with them in those years - not really.......

yee of little faith, giga. why so little of it? It is a proven model....and its not like I have never set foot in a kitchen before.

is the venue free or will you have to pay for it? when will they let you do it? on a weekday when it's hard to get customers? or on a weekend when the venue probably wants to maximize its own profits? how will you market it?

you'll prepare everything at home? or will you need to prep there? is anything going to be cooked a la minute? who will help you, or are you planning on doing it alone? who will wash the dishes, the venue or you?

i'm not so sure it's a 'proven model' in terms of one unknown chef trying to make extra money. that's not usually the impetus behind a popup, and most of the people who have done them start by saying 'don't do this if you're just planning on making money'.

ngfm is a better parent than tictac

let that sink in for a moment

ive said it before, we bag on the dude, but he raised a kid who graduated from college (a real 4 year accredited school), didn't get pregnant or in trouble with drugs/drinking and she's got a job and doesn't live in his house. he did something right.

If you want to spend your life raising your kids (education), fine. But pretty soon, they'll be in public school. Private really isn't needed. The big thing is telling your kid to get straight A's in high school, so they can be accepted into a state public college (5k a year). Private college is 20k a year and up, not worth it, unless you're an elite with future job connections.

It's amazing how parents care for the kid when they are young, yet when they are teenagers, that's when they need the most help. In my case, I knew this, and Ashley made it through UF. She sat next to me in the computer room every night doing homework. You want your kid to take advanced classes in HS that count towards college.

The other thing you'd want your kid to do, is develop a photographic memory. Some are gifted and just have it, but those who do well in life, usually have a great memory. So if you are teaching your kid stuff at home, that's it.

That's only a reality if the end result is a job that isn't in demand. There are a lot of companies in our area pushing jr/sr towards bio/pharm degrees and even paying for part of their tuition in exchange for internship for 1-2 years.

My son just started his first semester of college and has had 2 different companies following him around for the past 3 years.

On the first topic, my wife stayed home with both of ours until they hit 1st grade then worked part time so one of us was always home when they were.

For the past few years I've worked from home so we still have somebody here. You just need to prioritize what you feel is important and what can wait

ive said it before, we bag on the dude, but he raised a kid who graduated from college (a real 4 year accredited school), didn't get pregnant or in trouble with drugs/drinking and she's got a job and doesn't live in his house. he did something right.

isn't she dating a nigger though?

most of that is directly attributable to drool towels and horsey shirts

is the venue free or will you have to pay for it? when will they let you do it? on a weekday when it's hard to get customers? or on a weekend when the venue probably wants to maximize its own profits? how will you market it?

you'll prepare everything at home? or will you need to prep there? is anything going to be cooked a la minute? who will help you, or are you planning on doing it alone? who will wash the dishes, the venue or you?

i'm not so sure it's a 'proven model' in terms of one unknown chef trying to make extra money. that's not usually the impetus behind a popup, and most of the people who have done them start by saying 'don't do this if you're just planning on making money'.

The venue will always be free - more often than not it will be either at my house or at a clients/friends house who are in attendance. It will be done probably Friday/Sat nights - marketing will be primarily word of mouth and social media. 80% of food should be able to be prepared at home - anything that needs to (proteins, etc) will be cooked a la minute. Chances are my wife will help with dishes, etc.

Again, not saying this is THE business, just an option to play with.

All these costs are obviously different based on your location. If you aren't clearing more than childcare on each income individually then someone should stay home. Just setup a college fund of 20k in investments when they are born and if they want to go it's paid in full.

20k * 18 years * rate of return = college

If they don't go to college you get the money for yourself.

Sounds more like you're planning on doing a catering business and not a pop up. I'm curious to see what kind of menu you're planning to offer and the food costs to go with. $90 for 2-4 people a weekend isn't really enough to buy in bulk and help cut your food costs.

For $90 a head you're going to be having to do more than some hamburger helper. So you'll most likely be making what $50-40 a head? So say $100 for how many hours of shopping, prepping, preparing + 2-4 hours with your "guests". Wouldn't it be more cost effective to work at McDonalds a couple nights a week?

My wife stays home with our daughter (and future kids) - so I guess at least she gets to see them but we aren't spending $500 a week on daycare.

I did not want my boys to be raised by strangers, and luckily, I only had to use the daycare lady for about five months. In that time, I realized that 1. she was whacky, 2. her husband was a piece of shit, and 3. her husband is a whiny pussy when I called him on how he was treating my boys.

That ended that. My wife stayed home and raised the kids. It was rough, but what she did was begin babysitting for another couple of boys to subsidize and that helped out. She was very good with them, and taught them crafts and stuff like that (not to mention thier ABC's and reading before they entered kindergarten), and before we realized, we had quite a few parents knocking on the door wanting to 'enroll' their kids--but we were not a daycare, so that wasn't going to happen.

Bottom line: We struggled, but we feel we did the right thing. They are teenagers now, but are good kids, both talking about colleges etc.

who the fuck would pay a retard like tic $90 to eat a dinner in their own house

how is this a "supplement my income from home"

women are ruining this country.

they need to stop saturating the job market and get back to taking care of kids and having some family values for fucks sake.

this country is fucked.

buncha selfish bitches!

who the fuck would pay a retard like tic $90 to eat a dinner in their own house

how is this a "supplement my income from home"

remember tic had a rich dad who gave him a business

he probably knows all kinds of douchebags with lots of money to spare

I enjoy the random trolls, truly.

Back to the point at hand -

- animo - its not about clearing more (which we are easily and then some, fortunately for us) its about not wanting the kid to be raised in a 'daycare' environment by a 'stranger'.

- Code - Not so much catering, because we will be inviting the people, the location (be it our place or a friends who hosts) will be aware of that, obviously. Not sure where you get the $90 for 2-4 people, but at say, $90 per person, estimation of food cost to say $20+/- , at 6-10 people per dinner, that is roughly $500-$700 in profit (granted that does not account for overhead, but it is minimal and it all goes back to me as I will have to staff to pay). Again, if we are mortgage free, $1500-$2K/month should be MORE than enough to live on. If you want to go into menu planning, drop me a PM :p

- Semantik - Right on man, its a thought we have considered as well, especially since my wife is a teacher - we had an idea of also offering organic home made lunches to those that might attend.

Lastly, Kids are amazing - nothing that will make you happier than having a little being that you made, your own blood, laugh/smile and give you a big hug. The feeling is unequivocal and worth more than money can buy.

Back