TW IT Gurus: ntbackup Question

Arcanox

Contributor
Veteran X
Recently I picked up an external hard drive for the purposes of backing up some of my 3d work. I have quite a bit of data that I don't want to lose and I've gotten extremely tired of burning DVD's or storing stuff on smaller external hard drives.

This one in particular is networked and I have it mapped as a network drive on all the computers in my house. Instead of doing the manual method of copying files over, I was hoping to do weekly backups of all the working folders for my art assets. I have about 60 GB of data that I need backed up regularly.

I'm using ntbackup to create archives of all this data on a regular basis and I have it scheduled properly but some of the options are a bit strange. Ideally I'd like to create one master .bkf file and keep adding to it with any files that have been created or modified since the last backup date, but some of the options aren't letting me do that.

The /m parameter has Normal, which is fine but it backs up all of the data. It's sort of pointless to replace 50GB of data when only 10GB is altered so this really isn't ideal.

If you switch the mode to Incremental, it picked out the modified data but scrapped the rest. Adding an Append flag to my command line didn't fix this at all.

I'm a noob at NT things, so if anyone could give me a hand and suggest the command line I'm looking for to back this up properly I'd appreciate. Basically I just want to copy an entire directory, and update the bkf whenever files are created or modified. Any other suggestions on what to use would be appreciated as well.

Get microsoft synctoy.. its free you can also set file type rules or folder inclusive/exclusive rules.. and you can schedule it

oh and it only does difs.. so the copy will be super quick after the first run...

SyncToy looks perfect for what I need it for. I may also set it up on all my computers to automatically sync any working files to all the computers when it first runs.

This was a huge help, I didn't want to go through the headache of dealing with ntbackup or any other crapware software. Thanks a bunch.

xcopy or robocopy. just write a batch file. it's super easy, and will back them up as files so you can easily get a single file/folder, instead of having to load up a bkf file etc etc etc.

Back