[TW COOK] Cheap meals that are awesome.

what do you use for the wrapping? i got some square dumpling ones from wal-mart in my first attempt, but they refused to fucking fold properly and completely split open in the cooking process.

I use the standard square-shaped wanton wraps, I've used two different brands, I forget the brands though.

The first brand I tried was perfect, the second one I tried, a different brand, was well coated with either flower or some kind of starch, the second brand didn't taste as good as far as texture goes, and the excess starch made it difficult to moisturize them to seal the edges.

I've used both water and egg white to seal the edges, both seem to work just fine, although egg white seemed to hold a little better.

As far as filling goes I've tried both ground beef and pork - pork seems to retain flavor a lot better than the beef did - and the beef has a tendency to fall apart. I've seasoned with a variety of things, everything from oyster sauce, soy sauce, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, chives/green onions, ketchup, mustard, etc.

Another thing I've done is the normal fry-to-steam method, then added additional broth, cooked for a bit longer to make a type of soup. It's pretty good, but if you overcook them the wantons can fall apart.

I'll have to look into the chilli sauce, is this something you can find at Wal-Mart, or is this a sort of specialty item?

I'll have to look into the chilli sauce, is this something you can find at Wal-Mart, or is this a sort of specialty item?

yeah, got mine at a wal-mart. it's either in the hot sauce section or the "asian" aisle

how do you fold the wontons? whatever i was doing was not fucking working. that, or i had way too much filler

also, chili paste, not sauce. they make a sauce too, but it's the wrong kind of flavor for it imo

you want this (exactly what i have):
IMG_4097.JPG

made mine with ground pork too, but that shit's fucking expensive compared to ground beef :(

Last edited:
What about sexlexya?

Best cheap meal:

Eggs + Rice

Cook white rice
Scramble 2-3 eggs with some soy sauce and milk for fluffyness.

Combine rice + egg - use soy sauce as desired.

I hadn't had an Egg McMuffin in years. Along with french fries and the chicken snack wraps they're the only reason I go to McDonalds. Friday morning I found myself in the area with the time and opportunity to get in during breakfast hours, so I ordered two combos (ham + cheese, hashbrowns, and medium drink) and two extra (ham + cheese). The total was $12 and change.

Thinking I could do better, I purchased the following at Wal-Mart:

1 dozen JUMBO eggs = $1.76
6 Thomas Original English Muffins = $2.74
1 lb Canadian Bacon = $1.98
16 slices Kraft Select Singles = $3.47

If I had purchased two boxes of muffins the total would be $12.69 for everything. I could have bought cheaper cheese, smaller eggs, and maybe store brand muffins to save even more. As you can see the ingredients to make 12 imitation McMuffins are less than it cost to get 4 with hashbrowns and drinks.

----------------------------------

I have these 1 cup microwave safe bowls. They're the perfect diameter for a muffin. Wal-Mart and Publix both sell them in packs of three for something like $4.

How to make the perfect imitation McMuffin:
  1. Add a teaspoon of water to glass bowl.
  2. Crack the egg into the bowl, break the yolk.
  3. Securely cover the bowl + egg with a paper towel, microwave for :45.
  4. While the egg is cooking, lightly toast both halves of the muffin.
  5. After the :45, place a slice of the Canadian Bacon on top of the egg.
  6. Microwave egg + ham together for an addition :10.
  7. Assemble: bottom half muffin, egg, cheese, Canadian bacon, top half muffin.
  8. Enjoy!
The whole process takes less than 2 minutes.

Chicken cacciatore

pasta or rice ($1)
6 chicken legs ($2)
1 onion ($1)
1 bell pepper ($1)
4 oz mushrooms ($1)
1 can chicken broth
4 cloves garlic

flour
olive oil ($1)
leftover pasta sauce ($1)

$8 for 3-4 meals.

Coat the chicken with flour. Brown the chicken well on both sides. Add the veggies and let them brown a bit. Add the chicken broth and pasta sauce. Cover and bake at 350F for 45 minutes. Serve over pasta or rice.

Chicken soup

1. You see al those rotisserie chickens grab one. Eat what yo want and save it.
2. Pot of boiling water boil down the chicken carcass bones and all for about 2-3 hours
3. strain out bones
4. Add about 2-3 yellow onions
5. add 10 stalks finely chopped celery
6. add 2 bay leaves
7. add 1 pkg sweet frozen corn
8. Salt and pepper to taste

this will last you a few days easily until you are sick of chicken soup but its fucking yummy. I personally started with a beer can chicken and went from there.

i do something similar but i also put in short grain white rice after removing bones, boil, then add ingredients. it adds some filling to it.

i also sometimes buy bulk packs of chicken drumsticks/thighs and you can use those also to make stock too.. just boil the chicken, use it for whatever (i like to use it for chicken salads, sandwiches, whatever).

stomboli:

1 bag of trader joes pizza dough, $1 (this makes two)
1 package mozzarella
1 jar tomato sauce
1 bag meatballs

These are pretty good and its cheap, just flatten out the dough, put on the mozz and meatballs. season with italian spices. fold in half, bake at 350 until brown then dip in sauce. its delicioso

Back