[TRVE METAL] Gaahl / Gorgoroth Documentary

awesome, I'll watch these tonight.

I love Gorgoroth

funny this came up actually, I got bleach on my gorgoroth shirt about a week ago (accident) ((now its fucked))

awesome, I'll watch these tonight.

I love Gorgoroth

funny this came up actually, I got bleach on my gorgoroth shirt about a week ago (accident) ((now its fucked))

I'd be so sad if I fucked up my Gorgoroth shirt and immediately buy a new one.

haha, awesome...i never really got into black metal but its cool to see what these guys are like

btw whats the best (ie cheapest) place to get band shirts online? i used to go to infin1 but thats a bit pricy

haha, awesome...i never really got into black metal but its cool to see what these guys are like

btw whats the best (ie cheapest) place to get band shirts online? i used to go to infin1 but thats a bit pricy

For Black Metal stuff jsrdirect.com has good stuff at reasonable prices... they got a good selection too, you can find some hard to find bands there.

heres the one I had
WU.jpg

eBay: GORGOROTH T shirt ANTICHRIST BLACK METAL (item 250105556982 end time Apr-18-07 16:35:27 PDT)

I didn't get it online though, I bought it at a 1349 show, there was a vendor w/ a bunch of bm shirts I had never seen. I thought they might be knock offs but whatever.

ha, i put in 1349 on wikipedia and it gave me some of the big events in that year

# January 9 - The Jewish population of Basel, Switzerland is rounded up and incinerated, believed by the residents to be the cause of the ongoing bubonic plague.
# February 14 - Roughly 2,000 Jews are burned to death in Strasbourg.[1]

sounds like jewish people had a pretty rough deal throughout history

ha, i put in 1349 on wikipedia and it gave me some of the big events in that year

# January 9 - The Jewish population of Basel, Switzerland is rounded up and incinerated, believed by the residents to be the cause of the ongoing bubonic plague.
# February 14 - Roughly 2,000 Jews are burned to death in Strasbourg.[1]

sounds like jewish people had a pretty rough deal throughout history

That's also when the Black Plague came to Norway. Where the band 1349 got it's name. Also their album Hellfire is sweet. But you know this.

Very interesting vids. I'd thought black metal was tongue in cheek, kind of surprising that some people take it this seriously.

This reminds me that there is a store right down the street from me that has a few Gorgoroth shirts. They are black and just say Gorgoroth across the front in fairly big letters. I take it this is the "only" Gorgoroth shirt you are speaking of?

Anyway I will pick one up soon.

Gorgorth are playing a handful of shows this summer and will no doubt have merch at them so check ebay / king's record label website around june - august to see if they're selling anything.

I want to know how Peter Beste got interested in Black Metal. He doesn't seem like the Black Metal fan, yet he's taken some of the best photos of the musicians.

VBS: Peter, this project wasn’t just a one-off for you, you’ve been documenting the Norwegian Black Metal scene for a while. How did you hook up with all these guys?
Peter Beste: In April 2002 I went over there for the first time, and I’ve gone back a couple of times since. I went to a few metal shows when I lived in Austin. I saw Gorgoroth, and folks like Dimmu Borgir and Enslaved. I took a few pictures of them, sent them to the guys in the band and told them I wanted to come to Norway and work on this little project. Slowly but surely they let me in—I’d meet one guy and become friendly, then he’d give me other guys’ numbers, and it kind of snowballed from there. By the second year I pretty much knew everybody I needed to meet, and now I’m just getting to know them better every visit.

So the guys in Gorgoroth were some of the first ones you hooked up with?

I met them at Milwaukee Metalfest and I’d taken a picture of Gaahl that he really liked, so they were into me tagging along with them and taking pictures right from the beginning. That’s why I’ve photographer Gorgoroth so much over the past few years—they’re incredibly photogenic and they’re really into it. Then from the strength of all those pictures, other bands have agreed, and it’s just sort of kept expanding.

This reminds me that there is a store right down the street from me that has a few Gorgoroth shirts. They are black and just say Gorgoroth across the front in fairly big letters. I take it this is the "only" Gorgoroth shirt you are speaking of?

Anyway I will pick one up soon.

Does it have a stylized upside down cross on the back? Thats the one that Gaahl wears and its the only "official" shirt you can buy in the US.

VBS: Peter, this project wasn’t just a one-off for you, you’ve been documenting the Norwegian Black Metal scene for a while. How did you hook up with all these guys?
Peter Beste: In April 2002 I went over there for the first time, and I’ve gone back a couple of times since. I went to a few metal shows when I lived in Austin. I saw Gorgoroth, and folks like Dimmu Borgir and Enslaved. I took a few pictures of them, sent them to the guys in the band and told them I wanted to come to Norway and work on this little project. Slowly but surely they let me in—I’d meet one guy and become friendly, then he’d give me other guys’ numbers, and it kind of snowballed from there. By the second year I pretty much knew everybody I needed to meet, and now I’m just getting to know them better every visit.

So the guys in Gorgoroth were some of the first ones you hooked up with?

I met them at Milwaukee Metalfest and I’d taken a picture of Gaahl that he really liked, so they were into me tagging along with them and taking pictures right from the beginning. That’s why I’ve photographer Gorgoroth so much over the past few years—they’re incredibly photogenic and they’re really into it. Then from the strength of all those pictures, other bands have agreed, and it’s just sort of kept expanding.

Interesting. They all seem very down to earth and willing to help out if you're "cool" enough by their standards (basically not another fanboy from what I can figure). I'm just pissed I didn't think of it first...

Back