"True" 5.1 headset (xbox) recommendation?

ThUnda

Veteran XX
I just returned a set of Tritton ax 720's because the connector to my controller for voice chat would cut in and out with static then end up just not working. The audio itself was ok... so screw Tritton.

I'm looking for a headset with 4 speakers per cup. I would imagine it would be better than the simulated 5.1/7.1 surround headsets I've been seeing.

Just looking for some ideas of what to buy if anyone has had any experience with some of these headsets.

Thanks!

I picked up the turtle beach x41's about a month ago

wireless 5.1/7.1

I love them

like $200 at bestbuy but once I decided I wanted them, I ordered them for $150 on amazon and then just returned the shipped ones to best buy for the extra $60 bucks back ($60 because of the tax)

415rMOrvRUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SQ0QCT1KCD0P2MX4X69

Last edited:
what is the definition of "true" 5.1 headphones? with so little spacing between speakers, how are they able to output 5.1 without being technically simulated?

I honestly don't know if you'd notice a real difference with discreet speakers vs. a headset with a very good DSP

I was in the same boat as you looking for a good headset since I play a lot at night and don't want to bug the neighborhood. There aren't a ton of options for a multi-speaker solution and I don't think the price premium is worth any difference you might notice.

I couldn't be happier with the Turtle Beach set. They sound terrific. At that range I don't think there is a noticeable difference.

I would imagine aside from spacing and angles on your ear with individual speakers they can all have individual levels, vs 1 speaker trying to do it?

I guess I always go with physical vs simulated but you have a point, it may all be the same result in this situation

Just got turtle beach earforce 11s for Xmas

no batteries needed...they seem real nice but I'm not an expert

I have had the turtle beach x1's for about a year. It makes quite a difference in a few games like call of duty.

Hearing footsteps approaching in modern warfare 2 would save your life a round easily. I hate dealing with batteries so a cord is fine.

Also X41's here, love them but do yourself a favor and buy some rechargable AAAs. Eneloops are usually considered the best and you can land 4 AAA for about 10 bux on Amazon...if you need a charger, i just bought a Energizer charger on clearance from Staples that charges AA and AAA...really doesn't matter.

Back