Tribalwar on wikipedia

It's interesting because it was a member who suggested the sandpaper

Edit: fixed the entry

Last edited:
Yea because most people who add to it are complete fucking retards who screw it all up anyway. They'd have you believe we invented every internet cliche.

Chairgate

In 2004 then-administrator of Tribalwar.com "Colosus" elected to sit his portly self upon a chair, which thereafter broke in front of many members of the Tribes community who had elected to watch Colosus and others sit via an internet video link. The incident was instantly, and somewhat ironically dubbed "Chairgate" in the convention of suffixing embarrassing scandals with "gate" since President Nixon's involvement with Watergate, despite a self-evident lack of conspiracy about the incident on Colosus' part. The events were widely broadcast and intermittently recounted several times across TW IRC and message boards. Some of TW's members expressed pleasure at the incident, which was in their view just deserts for Colosus' alleged fraudulent conduct involving a "Labtop".

Labtop incident

Few, if any persons at all would be able to disclose information as to the design or function of a "Labtop". However the precious information on it has been widely propagated: it is most certainly valuable, and was purchased by "Colosus" with money that may or may not have been fraudulently extracted from philanthropic members of TW upon contended pretences of supporting server maintenance. Some of this money may or may not have also been spent on airplane tickets, champagne cocktails and furry costumes for WorldCon. Years later, in 2005, Colosus began repaying this debt in hopes of eliminating a lifetime of shame. This event later led to the Church of Mountain Dew in which, Colosus, after receiving threatening letters from a lawyer regarding taking donation money from a nonprofit and buying a labtop declared Tribalwar a church dedicated to Mountain Dew and became Cardinal DeWald.

Sandpaper Incident

One of the more gullable members of Tribalwar, finalheaven, once asked how to remove a small scratch from his fairly new CRT Monitor. One of TW's Members, Trop, stepped to the plate and suggested sandpaper. Being gullable, the member proceeded to sand his monitor with fine grit sandpaper only making it worse. Ever since then, a common reply to a "How do I....?" question is sandpaper.

:lol:

that is fucking awesome

Haha like the AYB craze as far as I remember badcrc took photoshops from TW, SA and other random websites aswell as his own and theres no mention of him in that post. So it sort of leads people to beleive that TW created it. But even so id like to see someone add some real content to it. and by "it" i mean the wikipedia post :eek:

Last edited:
Calipso said:
Haha like the AYB craze as far as I remember badcrc took photoshops from TW, SA and other random websites aswell as his own and theres no mention of him in that post. So it sort of leads people to beleive that TW created.

Same with the AYB article.

wikipedia said:
TribalWar lays claim to popularizing the phenomenal internet meme All Your Base Are Belong To Us which started simultaneously across any number of Internet hotspots including Something Awful. The forum's other major exfiltration into the rest of the web involved afflicting roughly 300,000 CNN readers with a modified form of the "goatse" image. The opportunity to do so arose by chance after a still image captured from film of the September 11th terrorist attacks was hosted on TW, claiming that the devil's likeness was visible in the clouds of smoke billowing from the towers. The image rapidly accrued direct links from around the world as e-mail forwards and articles spread like wildfire across the web - the problem in this being that all the news sites and forwarders had hot linked the image directly from the TW servers. The article in question had originated from a syndicated wire source, which subsequently resulted in the hotlinking of the accompanying image on the websites of the world's largest news networks, including CNN. Anthony 'Rayn' Maio, the TribalWar administrator responsible for switching the image to that of "goatse", claimed he was left no alternative by CNN and others who had placed an inexorable burden upon TW servers by hotlinking the image. The article was adjusted by CNN soon after its readers were "goatse'd" to remove the image, but not until (according to TribalWar server logs) the image had received roughly 300,000 "hits" from visitors to CNN.com. A valuable lesson was learned by the Internet that fateful day, and Anthony 'Rayn' Maio went on to receive several thousand letters of hatemail.
:rofl:

ofredn.jpg

Calipso said:
I thought this was a good read although its missing many many things such as that flames for cash douche etc. I did a search to see if this was posted before i didnt find any threads but it still could be OFN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribalwar

its on wikipedia because we made a thread about getting onto wikipedia.. I remember that night well.. because we made the article, then a whole bunch of assbags went onto it and edited to say stupid shit like "LOL SA SUCKS!!!!!"

So for like 2 days, only me and like 2 other people from TW were allowed to edit the article by the wikimods, nobody else from any other ip was allowed to. Of course, I didn't make the article into its current incarnation, I just lost focus because it was the middle of the semester and didn't bother with it beyond that one thread.

link to original thread where the article was created:
http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370254

Last edited:
off topic: The Tribes wiki is severely lacking. cf. RTCW enemy territory, Homeworld series, and many other games. Tribes should have better representation. But isn't that the case with tribes in every aspect? Greatest game evar but severely underrepresented, undermarketted, underfunded, and underplayed. So maybe the wiki is right on target.

Back