[Travel] The Mother Land

I was recently accepted to a program in which I will be doing health and pediatric work in Malawi, Africa (get a map). It's only for two weeks in the summer, but I'm still fucking pumped. Has any of the TW population ever traveled to Africa? I'm mostly curious about the immunizations and shit that I'll have to go through.

there are a couple of immunizations you'll want to get, but probably won't end up needing... also go with malarone for the malaria pills.

...there's only ONE Motherland...

russia_motherland.jpg

i got all of the vaccinations you're going to need - a couple (yellow fever i think) are a three step process, so make sure you start at least a couple months ahead of time

there are a couple of immunizations you'll want to get, but probably won't end up needing... also go with malarone for the malaria pills.

FUCK malarone. i had to stop taking it because the side effects were literally worse than malaria would have been

FUCK malarone. i had to stop taking it because the side effects were literally worse than malaria would have been

:shrug: i had no side effects with malarone, my friends were on something else (begins with an L) they all had lots of side effects...

anyway regardless of the side effects, you really don't want malaria, so if you choose not to take the pills be sure to sleep with a mosquito net and wear gallons of repellent.

:lol: i had no side effects with malarone, my friends were on something else (begins with an L) they all had lots of side effects...

anyway regardless of the side effects, you really don't want malaria, so if you choose not to take the pills be sure to sleep with a mosquito net and wear gallons of repellent.

yeah, joke was on me - i ended up with some insect borne illness that wasn't malaria.

still better than ruining my vacation putting up with that shit though.

i've heard some people go there to see awesome animals in their natural environtment... it's called safari or something crazy like that. (kenya, for one)

other people go there to climb one of the 7 summits, it's called mt kilimanjaro or something crazy like that. (tanzania)

other people go there to check out a world wonder, it's called the pyramids of giza or something crazy like that. (egypt)

other people just go to there to do crazy shit like pay someone to let you ride them bareback, or pay someone to fly you in a fighter jet, or pay someone to put you in a shark cage and dip you in great white infested waters. (south africa)

i don't know why anyone would go there voluntarily - i'd rather stay in kansas!

Malaria would be the big one off the top of my head, and many of them you need to start taking months before you leave, so visit a doctor to check into that ASAP. It's not immunizations but pills, and malaria can literally stay in your system forever.

Another TWer spent three weeks in Malawi, working in an orphanage. It's a very socially conservative country, which is why they have a much lower incidence of AIDS. Decently stable compared to some of it's neighbours, you won't need bodyguards or anything.

Back