The Drawing Thread

I cant decide which way this flow. arrgh what do you guys think???
tomb_raider_reborn_by_zero_optix-d5tsg8p.jpg

tomb_raider_11_copy_flip_by_zero_optix-d5ueva8.jpg

Thanks! I see. You know when you look at a piece for way too long its time to take a break or get some fresh eyes. I still have a lot to do but you helped for sure.

Pyro, do you have a portfolio?

Not really at the moment, since most of my jobs have been through contacts or people finding me on vimeo.
There's my website mcnostril.com but I haven't updated that thing since like early 2012, and it's probably going to be a while to get around to it cos I need to overhaul the site anyway. I generally just point people to my tumblr (see sig) or my blog. It's basically the same stuff I post on TW, with more rambling and sketches.

I gotta say, it's pretty impressive the way Pyro has progressed. Just further proof that if you stay dedicated to something for long enough, you will get better at it.

I gotta say, it's pretty impressive the way Pyro has progressed. Just further proof that if you stay dedicated to something for long enough, you will get better at it.

I think pyro is past the need for dedication. Hes probably so used to this kind of work that all it takes for him is a little bit of thought and motivation.

Haha, not quite.
There's always things to learn and practice, and once you get better at the purely technical side there's all the other things like composition and style (which I never really paid much attention to and I am now having a devil of a time with), not to mention the whole creative part where you still need to come up with something interesting - and on top of that, as an animator, there's also other skills like timing, acting, and continuity (I kind of have that jack-of-all-trades problem at the moment, which is annoying when you're trying to do one specific thing).
Doing it for a living helps since you're technically always practicing, but you still need to push yourself beyond work unless you happen to be working on something totally awesome (and even then...).
Most of the things I end up posting are studies, which you are right in assuming that they don't take much thought, since they remove most of the big questions about color, composition and subject matter. They're more to practice specific things like lighting, rendering, etc... and that's where the effort goes, in figuring out how to render this thing efficiently or how to make that color pop just so. It all helps down the line when you're trying to make actual illustrations but those are something I don't do enough of, and that I probably should now that I have more free time.

Plus there's just so many different ways of doing things and they're all quite awesome. I render a lot (which is a look I actually don't like so it's kind of ironic I got better at it), but then you have people like Sam Bosma who don't actually do that much of it and yet end up with totally amazing pictures through style, color sense and composition.
Look at this thing, it's awesome
tumblr_m2c04eJJoy1r2uzyoo1_1280.png

Or like Andy Helms who does amazing design-y stuff like this
il_fullxfull.356162410_8wku.jpg

And there's so many more great artists out there with their own thing, and something to learn from each of them. Eventually you kind of find your own thing, but I can't say that I've really found mine. I do have my own style of sketching I guess, but sketching only gets you so far (and I have yet to get paid to sketch things. God that would be the best job ever).

I don't think anyone gets so good they don't need to make the effort. The guys who are really really crazy good may not need to practice quite as often, but if you follow some of them you'll see they're always still pushing for new things, and the ones that don't keep pushing forward, well, they're usually not that good or having a midlife crisis or something.
Art, I think, is a lot like working out. I'm always amused when people say "I'll never be able to do that." Sure, there's some crazy talented people out there, but the reason they are so is hard work and dedication; talent is that tiny little edge that takes them from good to great which may be down to different things like their influences and so on, but I would say most of that 'talent' is from working hard at it, and working smart (which is generally what a good art school will try to force you to do). There's just so many things to practice that, well, it's hard, and just like physical training, you need to switch it up and go out of your comfort zone or you'll end up like one of those dudes at the gym with the hilariously big arms that aren't very good for anything.

Mind you, I'm talking more about illustrative art than some of the more abstract stuff because that shit flies way over my head most of the time, though I suspect the same is true (in fact I feel that experimentation is way more important the more abstract you get).

Man that's a lot of words.
(i like talking about art)

Back