suggestions: can we please get the ability to pignore threads with certain words

Greasemonkey doesn't access the server at all. It re-writes the DOM after the page is loaded.

if I make my greesemonkey script open every single thread on the front page that it hasn't opened before to run this check it's going to be easier on the server?

Wow. Now you're getting even crazier. The thread table is tiny compared to the post table. Everytime the post table is accessed, the server has to lock it and load it into memory. That's over 5gb worth of data at this point.

Why don't you have a cleaner system? The front couple pages of teedub are not 5gb worth of data. I don't care about page 5000 of the thread list. Just the first one. If I load the second one then I'd care about that one too but not until then.

Try...

PHP:
        $threads = $db->query_read_slave("
                SELECT $votequery $previewfield
                        thread.threadid, thread.title AS threadtitle, thread.forumid, pollid, open, postusername, postuserid, thread.iconid AS threadiconid,
                        thread.dateline, notes, thread.visible, sticky, votetotal, thread.attach, $tachy_columns,
                        thread.prefixid, thread.taglist, hiddencount, deletedcount
                        " . (($vbulletin->options['threadsubscribed'] AND $vbulletin->userinfo['userid']) ? ", NOT ISNULL(subscribethread.subscribethreadid) AS issubscribed" : "") . "
                        " . ($deljoin ? ", deletionlog.userid AS del_userid, deletionlog.username AS del_username, deletionlog.reason AS del_reason" : "") . "
                        " . (($vbulletin->options['threadmarking'] AND $vbulletin->userinfo['userid']) ? ", threadread.readtime AS threadread" : "") . "
                        " . ($redirectjoin ? ", threadredirect.expires" : "") . "
                        $hook_query_fields
                FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "thread AS thread
                        $deljoin
                        " . (($vbulletin->options['threadsubscribed'] AND $vbulletin->userinfo['userid']) ?  " LEFT JOIN " . TABLE_PREFIX . "subscribethread AS subscribethread ON(subscribethread.threadid = thread.threadid AND subscribethread.userid = " . $vbulletin->userinfo['userid'] . " AND canview = 1)" : "") . "
                        " . (($vbulletin->options['threadmarking'] AND $vbulletin->userinfo['userid']) ? " LEFT JOIN " . TABLE_PREFIX . "threadread AS threadread ON (threadread.threadid = thread.threadid AND threadread.userid = " . $vbulletin->userinfo['userid'] . ")" : "") . "
                        $previewjoin
                        $tachyjoin
                        $redirectjoin
                        $hook_query_joins
                WHERE thread.threadid IN (0$ids) $hook_query_where
                ORDER BY sticky DESC, $sqlsortfield $sqlsortorder" . (!empty($sqlsortfield2) ? ", $sqlsortfield2 $sqlsortorder" : '') . "
        ");

And that's after you figure out the threadids, the sticky threads, the announcement threads, etc.

you can probably get rid of your redirection joins & your subscribed thread joins (do you/people seriously use them ever)

if I make my greesemonkey script open every single thread on the front page that it hasn't opened before to run this check it's going to be easier on the server?
Why would you have it open every thread on the front page? You just need to scan the topics. Also, since you're probably the only one that would ever use that script, yes it would be less load on the server as it wouldn't need to do unnecessary queries for users that don't utilize the functionality.

you can probably get rid of your redirection joins & your subscribed thread joins (do you/people seriously use them ever)
Quite a few people use subscribed threads and we move threads with redirects all the time.

Why don't you have a cleaner system? The front couple pages of teedub are not 5gb worth of data. I don't care about page 5000 of the thread list. Just the first one. If I load the second one then I'd care about that one too but not until then.
The post table is the post table. You don't shard the data based on whether it's on the front page or not. It's still all in the same table. That's how databases work.

The post table is the post table. You don't shard the data based on whether it's on the front page or not. It's still all in the same table. That's how databases work.

lol but colosus, its a simple script. your db should be able to run it houndreds of times every few seconds, 24/7. lol its just a database... lol lol lol

edit: i'd fix the spelling error but it makes it that much better.

lol but colosus, its a simple script. your db should be able to run it houndreds of times a second, 24/7. lol its just a database... lol lol lol

edit: i'd fix the spelling error but it makes it that much better.
/me blinks.

I don't see why a database of the top 100 threads first post couldn't be maintained very easily. That's what my greesemonkey script would do

Last edited:
Christ on a fucking pony. Are your eyeballs that inept that you can't possibly just overlook something and ignore it on your own? I hear ignoring something on your own generally has low overhead and minimal coding by the admins btw.

If you want to ignore stuff on here it's not a huge deal. Just do it. If that doesn't work for you then you can ignore certain people. If you want to avoid anti-jew, nazi loving shit you ignore absent. If you want to avoid tinfoil hattery you ignore Orbital123. If you want to avoid big ass train wreck pics like this one ...

ic_wreck.jpg

... then you ignore me. See how easy that is? Have a nice day. :wave:

I don't see why a database of the top 100 threads first post couldn't be maintained very easily. That's what my greesemonkey script would do

because you don't understand how it works.

one part makes the table

the other part displays the table

the way the table is displayed has no impact on what is in the table.

meaning for you to scan the 'posts on the first page' would require much more work than for(each one from 0 - 100) or whatever. people have different page size, people subscribe to threads, there are sticky threads.

top it off with how many people view this place at one time...

couple that with the fact that the admins work for free...

and you'll realize that just because you have some stupid script that works on your site/blog that gets 2 page hits a aweek, doesn' tmean it'll work on a forum thats as active as this.

then couple this with what the guy above me said: this is all so you don't have to be 'bothered' to see those threads cause you're too much of a baby to not just look past them and ignore them?
lol
keep trying

Quite a few people use subscribed threads and we move threads with redirects all the time.

nvm then.

as an alternative, you could really only pull this page, page prior, page after. Anything lower wouldn't use the pignore script, nor do you really need to show that many pages. If you had a box that said goto page x, that wouldn't use the pignore script.

Might be faster in general to only pull a hundred results and not figure out how many pages there really are

in the subject:

I'd like threads where the thread starter includes such words as kurayami, recession, obama, democrats, republicans, fraggle, etc. to not show up on my teedub. Obviously, each poster should be able to have their own list.
^^Evidence that you are an illiterate lazy sh*t with no real intellectual incentive...

:bigthumb: WAY TA' GO, YOU DUMBSH*T!

i would never have any of those keywords because i could miss some actual real news... however its not that bad of an idea. i wuld never click on any baseball game or news threads. :shrug:

Back