Student sentenced to 1 month in jail for party at his home

Blitzkrieg

Veteran XV
http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2006/03/19/local/doc441b6365554bd121728534.txt

Mike Herchenbach was sure he would get a fine. He’d pay a couple hundred dollars, like his roommates, and go on with his life, even though he wasn’t at the party that got out of hand at his rental house. After all, his name was on the lease.

But what he didn’t expect, and hardly believed, was what Lancaster County Court Judge Gale Pokorny had in mind as his punishment for maintaining a disorderly house last Oct. 2.
Herchenbach, on the other hand, said he doesn’t think what he did or didn’t do deserved 30 days. But he hopes other young people throwing parties take note of what happened to him.

--------------------------
Cliffs:
- a party was hosted at a house that neighbor called police on
- person on the lease was not even at home but at his parent's place
- 21 year old man got sentenced to 30 days in prison for having a party at his rental home eventhough he was not at the party himself.

Conclusion:
If you live in Lancaster county, Nebraska, don't host parties that may get out of control or face possible prison sentence.

The part of the story that you didn't know (and this is just a guess) is that this happens all the time and is a problem house. Eventhough he wasn't there they have probably have been at his house countless amounts of times. Obviously a fine is not stopping him from having parties (read the news article....he'd pay a couple hundred dollars....shows that this kid is a problem and a summons is not enough.

He'll be on the talk show circuit.

And the answer is to move out of those cities. When judges, or the police do stupid shit to harass the people who live there, then it's time to move away and tell others.

Don't let people have keys to the house that you can't trust. If so...prepare to pay the consequences.

Alot of this story (like many others we all like to comment on here on TW) is not known but if it was a really bad party, alot of underage drinkers, happened multiple times before, etc. then I really don't think that punishing the owner/leasee is really that bad (whether he/she was at the party or not).

IMHO it's a little severe though. Maybe 7-10 days sentence.

The article says his roommates got fines, while he got 30 days. That doesn't seem fair. I mean if they are going to do it, do it to all of them.

I see nothing wrong with this. I wish it happened more often. I hate it when faggots go out of control and annoy everyone around them.

Kamel said:
The article says his roommates got fines, while he got 30 days. That doesn't seem fair. I mean if they are going to do it, do it to all of them.

Yeah...that seems pretty dumb.

Only thing I could think of is that maybe he is the only name listed on the lease (while the other guys could simply be roomates that he allowed to live there). :shrug:

I was very surprised when I read this news on a foreign news website. I then googled for this news article since I know it occured in Nebraska (I guessed it since it was translated to a foreign language and I had to translate back to English)

If he hosted parties that went out of control, I can understand. I was just quite surprised that he was not even at his rental home when the party occured and he got 30 days sentence. I posted this because someone was asking on TW about giving keg to parties. I said just don't do it to avoid potential liability. I did not imagine if your roommates hosted parties while you're gone, you can be liable...ouch.....

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2006/03/19/local/doc441b6365554bd121728534.txt

Another lesson from this story, don't roommate with irresponsible people, you can be dragged into their mess and pay for it.

Back