Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer out at midnight

Aren't the stormtroopers clones? how can one be black?

Theories abound, but the prevailing logic is that after the Clone Wars (around the time of A New Hope) when the Empire was peaking, military ranks swelled and new Stormtrooper units were created from the long line of conscripts and volunteers from conquered worlds. Remember, Luke was planning to go to the Imperial military academy before Owen and Beru died. If he had flunked out of pilot school (unlikely) he might have ended up a trooper. The Stormtroopers were basically the rank & file Imperial army by that point. There were a fixed number of clones anyway - Kamino wasn't pumping them out indefinitely - and many of them would have died during the Clone Wars. Some of the EU books postulated that many Stormtroopers were still clones who had lived through the Clone Wars and the fall of the Empire -- Luke could sense this unique quality about them through the Force.

There are plenty of blacks in star wars, they just never visited Hutta, Nar Shaada or the parts of Coruscant where white people used to live in the movies before.

Or, you know, maybe he just borrowed the uniform to escape a tight spot..?

sw-luke-stormtrooper-trash-movie.jpg

edit: Wouldn't it be great to hear someone in EP VII say, "Aren't you a little black to be a stormtrooper?"

even if there were not a single black person in any of the prequels, the residual blackness of Billy Dee, Colt 45 spokesman, more than compensates.

it's also a travesty that he's not gonna be in the new one. the dude destroyed the second death star... by flying inside it...

Last edited:
even if there were not a single black person in any of the prequels, the residual blackness of Billy Dee, Colt 45 spokesman, more than compensates.

it's also a travesty that he's not gonna be in the new one. the dude destroyed the second death star... by flying inside it...

You might even say that he penetrated it.

The officers were regular humans (hence the Imperial Academy). The stormtroopers were all clones during the clone wars. At some point during the clone wars, the cloning facilities on Kamino were destroyed. Cloning technology was lost. I believe at some point in the Zahn series (if it wasn't Zahn, it was another book, which I know isn't canon, but makes sense), the remnants of the empire were looking for lost cloning tanks so that they might restore the technology and have the ability to pump out enough stormtroopers to regain the advantage.

Yeah it was in the Thrawn trilogy. Grand Admiral Thrawn found a clone facility on Wayland, Mount Tantiss where he also found a clone of a Dark Jedi that was insane. Joruus C'baoth.

I really don't get why nerds argue canon set by the prequels.
I'm always just as confused. I acknowledge the clone wars happened, but not the way Lucas told it.

Emperor Palpatine managed to clone himself and "resurrect" into a clone body in one series. I never read it, but a lot of the EU authors acknowledged it in their novels in one way or another.

Back