So What Were Your Favorite Albums of 2008?

Magus

Veteran XX
well it's a little late for this but whatever. there were many good albums in 2008. some i haven't even really had a chance to listen to yet. i'm slow when it comes to that. but here's my list...

third.jpg

Portishead - Third
At first I was kinda pissed it wasn't a "Part 3" and dismissed it, since it's been 11 years. After a few listens I realized how stupid I was being...

twins.jpg

The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
Growing up as a huge Afghan Whigs fan, anything Dulli touches his hands to is gold to me. Mark Lanegan is just a good, if not better, on this album than when he rolls back up on Twilight Singers albums. Solid.

marnie.jpg

Marnie Stern - This Is It And I Am It And You Are It And So Is That And He Is It And She Is It And It Is It And That Is That
When I first heard Marnie I was cutting her shit for Pitchfork.tv just a few months back, since then i've seen her live three times around the city. This album is addicting; it finally gives me something to cheer for off KillRockStars. It's awesome KRS is supporting an act that doesn't live in Portland. NYC all the better for me!

m83.jpg

M83 - Saturdays = Youth
This was my favorite pop album of the year, it reminded me of listening to Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me when I was in high school. Good shit. The addition of Morgan Kibby took Gonzalez in a somewhat different direction. Graveyard Girl sounds like the theme to a movie.

illbill.jpg

Ill Bill - The Hour of Reprisal
Fuckin' A do you get your money's worth with this crew. Non Phixion mastermind Ill Bill has some of THE BEST beats, as usual. His paranoid ramblings crush. Hardcore underground hiphop at its best. Fuck LCN Bill, focus on solo shit or get Non Phixion back together. The coolest part about this album was snaggin it on Vinyl at Fatbeats yielded a free DVD of Bill playing CBGBs. The undisputed champion of 2008 in my humble opinion right here.

Honorable Mentions go to...
stilts.jpg
bmsr.jpg

Crystal Stilts - Alight of Night
Black Moth Super Rainbow - Dandelion Gum (this is actually from 2007)

Young Jeezy - The Recession
jeezy.jpg

The Game - L.A.X.
the%20game.lax%20times.album%20cover.thumbnail.jpg

Killer Mike - I pledge allegiance to the grind II
killer-mike-i-pledge-allegiance-to-the-grind-ii-420x420.jpg

Termanology - Politics as Usual
Termanology_Politics_As_Usual_LP_Cover_Art.jpg

meh, i was really unimpressed with the TV on the radio album. The single sucked but people raved about the album so i gave it a shot, not worth the bandwith

Back