[So] Quitting without being an asshole about it

burnsep

Veteran X
I've been working at a law firm for two and a half years. This past summer the continental director for a risk consulting/business intelligence company contacted me about coming to work for their regional office. At first I wasn't interested but I started getting bored at my firm and, to make a long story short, I just got home from my final interview, and I start work in early April.

Thing is, the senior partners at my current place of employment are great people, and we have excellent working relationships. I really want to leave without offending them or being an asshole about this whole thing. I know I should offer between 2 weeks and a month of "setting my affairs in order" and trying to find a replacement, but what else should I do, and how should I do the actual quitting?

Cliffs:

* Bored with current job, got a new more interesting one
* Want to quit without leaving a bad impression
* Have a bit of apple skin stuck between my teeth.

Just give them a month's notice and say you found a better opportunity. I don't see how they can fault you for that.

Be prepared though, they might counteroffer.

So, to be safe, make sure you mention that you are afraid that your current job is growing 'stale' and you are seeking new challenges.

Do you work with children? Tell them your intentions and leave; they're not going to cry over you leaving.

"i was offered a better paying paying job and i was interested. talked to them and they seem like cool people so im going to give it it a shot. no offense guys, you're all great but i just need a change. they want me to start in a month so ill make this month here a great one.... so how about them steelers?"

Rev_Night said:
Say that you are openly gay and they will fire you. then you can sue them

Well, I could tell the senior partner about the time in high school when I nailed his daughter. Or about the friday afternoon when my girlfriend dropped by the office and I sullied the conference room table.

But again, I want to go out on a friendly note.

Back