[so] my computer isnt working...

pino

Veteran X
So I bought parts for a new computer:

Athlon64 3200+ socket 939
Nvidia 6600GT PCI-e
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 (has a socket 939 and PCI-e port)
Hitachi 80 gig
2 sticks of 512 MB Corsair XMS Xtra-Low Latency RAM
rosewill dvd-cd-rw combo drive
a samsung floppy drive :)

anywho, everything is all put together, and the mobo claims everything is cool. I put in my winXP pro installer disc, and once it formats and copies the necessary files to the HD, it says it needs to reboot. Upon reboot, it won't boot. It just gets stuck at the "Boot from CD" line.

The boot order in BIOS is:

1.floppy
2.CD
3.HD

The motherboard came with an "Xpress Recovery" Disc that claims to have drivers, diagnostics, and other crap. However, when I try to run the CD, it gives me this error message:

"ERROR: No HPA-enabled Hard Drive Installed"

so what gives? I've been to Hitachi and Gigabyte and have tried to find diagnostics, drivers, etc... Nothing. Any advice (aside from sandpaper) would be appreciated... :heart:

Cliffs before you even ask for them:
1. Parts: Hitachi SATA HD and Gigabyte Mobo
2. Problem: winXP formats the HD just fine, upon restart, HD will not boot
3. Boot order: floppy, CD, HD
4. Already tried: Hitachi and Gigabyte driver searches, included CD with mobo. HD had no included disc, was OEM from newegg.

hmmm... short the bios by takin out battery.. grab anything thats metal and slap your metal object on the neg - and pos + inside the battery slot, then reinsert battery.

make sure u unplug the power cord at the back of your comp first...

Leiawen said:
If your computer doesn't work....how are you posting? :scared:
other computer.

and yeah T-Funk, I think it may be a HD driver problem, but whats the best way to fix this? Neither Hitachi nor Gigabyte websites give me any downloads. The closest I came was a Hitachi HD scanning program that pretty much said everything was fine. But its not.

Did you try setting the boot order to make the HDD boot first?
Once the files are copied over you shouldn't need to boot from the Windows CD anyway. Let it try and boot from the HDD and see what happens.

Leiawen said:
Did you try setting the boot order to make the HDD boot first?
Once the files are copied over you shouldn't need to boot from the Windows CD anyway. Let it try and boot from the HDD and see what happens.

dot.

i was going to mention making sure you took your cd out of your cd/dvd rom drive after the reboot. Normally it should skip over it unless the cd has some sort of fucked up boot sector.

no no, both the CD and the floppy are out. If the CD is in, it just boots the CD. If its not in, then the "boot from CD" line just hangs there for eternity.

pino said:
no no, both the CD and the floppy are out. If the CD is in, it just boots the CD. If its not in, then the "boot from CD" line just hangs there for eternity.

So turn off boot from CD in BIOS and make it boot from the HDD first. Its crazy, but it just might work.

the driver u need is on the mobo disc somewhere but u may have to copy it to floppy
did u ever hit f6 or something during the xp install to install additional drivers?

T-Funk said:
the driver u need is on the mobo disc somewhere but u may have to copy it to floppy
did u ever hit f6 or something during the xp install to install additional drivers?

Thats for his SATA drivers, right? I think he must have done that already else Windows wouldn't have even been able to format the drive and copy the files in the first place.

Leiawen said:
Thats for his SATA drivers, right? I think he must have done that already else Windows wouldn't have even been able to format the drive and copy the files in the first place.
its happened to me before and installing sata drivers fixed it

Back