So I've probably got Ringworm

RINGWORM - FACTSHEET
What is Ringworm?
Ringworm is a fungal infection of the skin that can affect the scalp, skin, fingers, toe nails or foot.

Who gets Ringworm?
Anyone can get ringworm. Children may be more prone to certain varieties while adults are affected with other varieties.

How are Ringworm infections spread?
Spread occurs by direct skin-to-skin contact with infected people or animals. Since the fungus can survive usually on furniture, clothes, hairbrushes, etc, these may also be a possible source of spread.

What are the symptoms of Ringworm infection?
It typically appears as flat, spreading, ring-shaped patches. The edges, which are well defined, are usually reddish and may be dry and crusted or moist and crusted. As each ring spreads, the middle clears, leaving more normal-looking skin. Ringworm of the scalp usually begins as a small pimple which becomes larger in size leaving scaly patches of temporary baldness. Occasionally, yellowish cup-like crusty areas are seen. With ringworm of the nails, the affected nails become thicker, discoloured and brittle, or it will become chalky and disintegrate. Ringworm of the foot appears as a scaling or cracking of the skin especially between the toes.

How soon do symptoms appear?
Ringworm of the scalp is usually seen 10 to 14 days after contact and ringworm of the body is seen 4 to 10 days after initial contact.

Does infection with Ringworm make a person immune?
Since so many species of fungus can cause Ringworm, infection with one species will not make a person immune to future infections.

What is the treatment for Ringworm infections?
Ringworm can be treated by topical creams - when disease is extensive or deep seated, tablets may be required. It is important to continue treatment until the skin is completely clear.

What can be done to prevent the spread of Ringworm?
Towels, hats and clothing of the infected individual should not be shared with others.

Household members and pets should be checked for signs of infection and treated if there are signs of spread.

Children with Ringworm on exposed areas (such as the scalp) should have commenced treatment for 1 week before returning to nursery/day care.
However, if the infected area is covered by clothing, they can return within 24 hours of treatment starting.

Swimming is allowed if creams or ointments prescribed are reapplied after this activity. When multiple cases occur, seek advice from the Consultant in Communicable Disease Control (CCDC) or Community Infection Control Nurse (CICN).

[MoM] Gort said:
Occasionally, yellowish cup-like crusty areas are seen.

When I was really little there was a neighbors kid who had this. I will never forget it as long as I live...some of the nastiest shit I've ever seen.

- R

My son just got rid of ringworm on his forehead. Poor little guy looked like he was trying to be Indian or something. Anyway, straight from one of our docs in the ER to me to you... Go to the store and buy some Lamisil ointment. Use this stuff on the spots for 7-10 days and the "worms" will disappear. This is what they will tell you to get if you were to see a doctor. And he told me that Lamisil is 10x stronger than Tenactin. Thank me later. :)

looks like I wont be going over to my parents house any time soon....

(for those who don't know, Fool is my brother who lives with our parents.)

Back