so... i just got approved for a $5000 discover card.

I have been working on my credit for a very long time. I already have a $2800 unsecured mastercard and a $1500 unsecured visa. I opened up a $1000 secured card last year to make 3 lines of credit.

I got an offer in the mail for a discover card Tuesday, and I know they suck. I will only use it for emergencies because it's a variable APR card but it has 0% for balance transfers until May 2008.

So I applied, and called back today. I am approved for $5000 and my card will be here in 7-10 days. My card design is Nemo. I can't find a pic online.

The view from the Gold card clouds is mighty nice. Keep your credit in check and pay your fucking bills.
wow you've got some amazing credit limits there

so amazing that 18 yr olds everywhere are... wait no they have those limits too.

Having a good amount of credit from various banks looks good on your credit report and can very much help you when applying for loans (ESPECIALLY when you want to buy a house)

more than that however, it's good to have a long credit history...that is, old accounts in good standing. Closing old credit cards is not good and can lower your score.

People who fear credit cards are idiots. If you can't trust yourself enough not to spend what you don't have, you have serious problems

People who fear credit cards are idiots. If you can't trust yourself enough not to spend what you don't have, you have serious problems

More than half of american credit card holders pay their minimum balance every month. The average american household carries about 10k of credit card debt. By your logic, most americans 'have problems' and I agree. Our generation (18-34) is the worst offender. It's pretty sad how people have no self-control or sense of responsibility when it comes to managing their money.

If I can afford it with cash, I pay with my credit card, then pay the balance off each month.

when I was trying to buy a house, I had only 1 line of credit and lender offers were pretty shitty. Of course it doesn't help that I am self employed, but I ain't working for no mutha fuckin man if I can help it. They didn't care about paid-in-full credit lines like loans.

My lender said three lines of unsecured credit would get my beacons up enough to get better rates. Time will tell when I try to refinance later this year :)

Kindly remember that the goal of credit card companies is to give you enough credit that you get in over your head, but not to the point that you have to declare bankruptcy.

If they give you a 20k limit it is because they think you can make regular monthly payments on a 10-20k balance but not pay it off quickly.

When you are actually doing well is when you realize you have not used your credit card in a year because you buy everything you purchase outright. Unless you are going for CC warranties etc.

nothing wrong with a high credit limit if you warrant the risk.

i find a high limit to be peace of mind for me, but i have past that stage in life when being irresponsible is considered my fun.

people need credit.

Someon (name concealed to protect) tried renting an apartment in LA, but he never had a credit card in his life. They told him to either get a co-signer, or show them his bank statement. He's a major movie actor, and ended up having to get his agent to cosign.

Without credit, you are doooooomed :(

and if we're taking out our credit dicks, i got bumped to 7k at 20.

I think i have a $2k limit. I think I could ask for an increase and easily get one, but I don't really have a reason to. I pay it off in full each month so there is never a balance.

They make money when you use it too, 3-4% from the vendors. Use it a lot, pay it off, but keep a small balance and pay them the exorbitant interest on that small amount, they love that best.

I never once asked for an increase. I just check my online bank and all of a sudden, hey my card has a higher limit.

interesting.

Back