Scammer Spam

JuggerNaught

Contributor
Veteran XX
Is this happening to anyone else?

For the last 3-4 months, i have been getting these random 'accidental' texts. I get probably 2-3 of these a week from different numbers It will be something like "Hey, Anne, this is Julie where are we going tonight'. Or one was 'Hi Bill, im just checking to see if my divorce papers are ready', something like that. Always an 'accident' text.

I'll tell them straight out 'wrong number', they will apologize and then say something like 'You seem like a nice person' (they get this from me simply saying 'wrong number') 'this is a happy accident, do you mind if we get to know each other?....' or something similar

I play along just because it amuses me to waste their time. Then after a bit of chit-chat they will send a picture and its always some hot Asian female, 20's looks to be probably Korean, maybe Japanese. And these aren't just pics, these are obviously posed, professional pictures. My guess is the person in the photo is some kind of wanna-be model that has no idea her image is being used. The person texting usually texts like English is not their first language, and I would guess generally not female as their replies have more of a masculine feel to them.

Originally the story was something like 'I'm in Los Angeles, originally from [insert Asian country here]' And when asked what they do, they are either in fashion (own their own boutique) or they are in finance and have the inside track thanks to an American uncle. The specifics vary a bit, but generally the same thing. And they always have some kind of company or organization that helps underprivileged kids 'in the mountains'

Like any good computer nerd, i immediately start searching the phone number and doing a reverse image search on the pictures. The pictures usually turn up 100's of similar looking Asian females. The phone number never comes up from where they say they are calling from. They always say they are either in L.A. or NYC, but the phone number comes up as originating in Ohio, or Texas, or leads back to WhatsApp (which is where i figure this is originating from as you can change your number in WhatsApp to anything). And when questioned about it, the answer is always 'oh i bought this phone when i was going through that state and lost my phone'

Usually it ends up with them somehow working in that they invest in crypto or they mine crypto or something like that and they try to get me to follow a link to stake mine some random coin.

The reason im asking here is because i listen to a local morning show on the radio and i heard the main guy talking about getting these same calls, just wondering if any TW people are getting them as well. This seems to be some new campaign being used by the scammers, so beware.

I play along just because it amuses me to waste their time. Then after a bit of chit-chat

Replying to spam is always an intelligent move. It lets them know they contacted a working number with someone willing to respond. Now you have a new friend, gj.

I don't answer calls or reply to texts I don't recognise. Anyway I'd prefer a fake Russian bride BS to an Asian. Wonder how that Nigerian Prince is going he's been quiet the last couple decades.

The common one in Dubai is "this is Abdullah from central bank, your ID needs to be updated or your account will be closed". Me - "which bank do you mean I have several accounts". Abdullah - ""which banks are you with and what are the account numbers?". And so on. Hours of fun if I'm sufficiently bored.

Last edited:
You and Juggs should start messaging.
I don't want to hear about any MonkeyPox though, you little rascals.

The scam calls here are "duct cleaning" services. Pakis spoofing local numbers...... hang up and block, etc etc. Probably get 3 a week.

Others pretend they're calling from the CRA (Canadian IRS) and threaten arrest/legal trouble.. they've successfully talked people into going to gas stations to buy GIFT CARDS or bitcoin to settle their "tax debt with the government" :lol: how fucking stupid are people

it's probably just a new scam from the last company you ordered a wife from, and they already had your contact info and purchase order information, so they probably just trying to sell you another one.

The common one in Dubai is "this is Abdullah from central bank, your ID needs to be updated or your account will be closed". Me - "which bank do you mean I have several accounts". Abdullah - ""which banks are you with and what are the account numbers?". And so on. Hours of fun if I'm sufficiently bored.

Yeah get those too. About once or twice a month on my office phone i get these computer voiced calls that say something like 'your credit card number has been flagged for suspicious activity, there is a $1700 charge for an ipad that is going to go through if you ignore this call'

This is a total business line, never used for anything personal.

I let it go through and it always clicks over to some sand monkey that starts stumbling as soon as you ask them what name/account/card they are talking about.

Another favorite of mine is the calls i get from some place saying that a friend or family has put my name in for a free weeks stay at hilton hotels.

Knowing my friends don't stay at hilton hotels...again..ends up being some random indian with an accent so thick you can barely understand them, named 'Fred' or "bob'

Why would you reply? They'll just send more.

Replying to spam is always an intelligent move. It lets them know they contacted a working number with someone willing to respond. Now you have a new friend, gj.

Do not engage. Ever. Read that again.

I've been getting random xxxxxx@outlook.com messages lately. SMS through outlook is fairly new to the scammers, but they seem to be embracing it.
SMS through E-Mail: Cingular, Nextel, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, Virgin Mobile
These messages are sent and received on a computer which simplifies the information gathering.

On an android phone you can tap and hold the body of the message, tap on details and find out if they sent it as a group text. Not sure on Apple phones. How many recipients are there? If you reply, Apple defaults to reply all, and no one bothers to check if it's a group text before replying, and then it's a confusing clusterfuck of 'who dis'. Hilarious and frustrating at the same time if you know what's going on.

Again, don't engage. At best it's a waste of time, but you're giving up information by simply replying.

Last edited:
Back