Satellite radio

|aYg.Leone*|

Special User Title
Veteran X
XM vs Sirius

Going out to pick up a receiver today. I have looked over both of the lineups and they seem pretty much similar. Anything I should know that would sway my opinion either way?

XM vs Sirius

Going out to pick up a receiver today. I have looked over both of the lineups and they seem pretty much similar. Anything I should know that would sway my opinion either way?

They are merging...so don't really need to sweat it too much.

For my money, I'd go with XM, due to the fact that there are some local radio shows from where I live that broadcast on XM, so I could listen to them nationwide. My father had sirius for a while, it was pretty good. From what I can tell, they seem about identical.

I have Sirius and love it. I know people who have had XM and switched to Sirius because the music is better.

I have sirius in my car. it is teh awesome.

Earlier in the year I drove around for a while in a car that had XM. It was teh suck. Their programming and channel categories just don't do anything for me. Oh yeah, and the advertisements on some of the music channels is annoying.

i've had both. switched to sirius so i could have npr + stern

(i think xm has npr now tho)

the music isn't better for the type of music i like...actually xm was better for that for the most part. overall they are pretty much the same.

:wave: PG

it's basically picking stern or O&A. if it doesn't matter, the music channel lineup probably won't either

Neither, they both suck these days, and I have both.
XM = Clear Channel
Sirius = Removing channels so they can put single artist channels on.

Bastards.

Let me explain what Sirius has been doing. They had a channel called Planet Jazz #70, it was my favorite channel. What do they go and do? Remove it so they can put the Grateful Dead on 24/7 with their own channel. They took away half their jazz lineup by doing it and the only place to hear new jazz.

They took away channel #11 so they could put on a 24/7 Bruce Springstein channel. Sounds wonderful, but I can't listen to one artist 24/7. Their programming directors don't know what they're doing, which is why the "buzz" with both companies is wearing off and people aren't recommending either.

Both companies are in trouble financially because they pay talk show host too much money, and the merger won't help, no it hasn't happened yet. So they're removing channels and cutting back in order to save money.

Sirius will get you Bubba and Howard, but after you listen to them for a while you don't care. It's the music content I want the most, and Sirius is removing channels.

Keep your money and get an iPhone or something. You'll have more fun surfing the net standing in lines. Sure, the iPhone doesn't have 3G, but it's fast enough for normal surfing.

Last edited:
i have sirius, and prefer sirius to xm.

unless you like hardcore or old school punk and butt rock, sirius has better music.

edit: ngfm, your jazz moved to channel 72...the dead channel is 32. they don't take away channels, they just move them around. spend five minutesdoing some googling or something.

Last edited:
Springsteen channel ftw.

I got Sirius because they had the NFL contract and I was pleasantly surprised with the music selection.

Back