Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge

Fatman

Veteran XX
I've got an i7-860 currently and have caught the upgrade bug once again.
Thinking of going mini itx this time around. I'm tired of the large bulky cases that just suck in all the dust on the floor. I want something I can put on my desk, or carry around easily.

I see a large number of folks love the i5-2500k and i7-2600k for overclocking.
I would consider an aio water cooling kit, but want to know if the performance is there the justify springing for an i5-3570k, or i7-3770K.

If you're looking to overclock, don't care about power consumption, and don't care about the embedded graphics, I would go for the 2500k. Everything I've seen indicates that Ivy doesn't OC as well as Sandy.

Are CPU's going nowhere right now? I just saw a deal on an i5 3570k for $180...about the same price I paid for an i5 2500k a year ago which is about the same speed. So it's a year later and there's a ~05% performance gain (you know, per dollar), is that right? If so, RIP AMD.

Are CPU's going nowhere right now? I just saw a deal on an i5 3570k for $180...about the same price I paid for an i5 2500k a year ago which is about the same speed. So it's a year later and there's a ~05% performance gain (you know, per dollar), is that right? If so, RIP AMD.

I recall reading a news release from Intel on a new family of PC chips under development but can't find it atm. Keep getting ivy bridge info.

Right now it's probably the better option to go with the cheaper Sandy Bridge as you most likely won't use the features the IVY Bridge CPU supports. By the time your ready to use PCIe 3.0 there will be much better options out there. Also, Sandy Bridge CPU's overclock better anyway.

It's what Intel has been doing for years. One year they put out a new architecture with significant improvements, then the next year they just do a die shrink of the same thing to improve costs and power usage. Last year they released Sandy Bridge, which was a good performance boost over the previous architecture, but on the same old 32nm manufacturing process. This year they released Ivy Bridge, which is mostly the same as Sandy Bridge but on a 22nm process for a smaller die (more chips per per wafer of silicon = cheaper for them to make) and lower power consumption. Next year's processor (Haswell) will still be on 22nm, but will be an updated architecture.

It's what Intel has been doing for years. One year they put out a new architecture with significant improvements, then the next year they just do a die shrink of the same thing to improve costs and power usage. Last year they released Sandy Bridge, which was a good performance boost over the previous architecture, but on the same old 32nm manufacturing process. This year they released Ivy Bridge, which is mostly the same as Sandy Bridge but on a 22nm process for a smaller die (more chips per per wafer of silicon = cheaper for them to make) and lower power consumption. Next year's processor (Haswell) will still be on 22nm, but will be an updated architecture.

Ah, that's it, Haswell: Intel Roadmap Slides Leak Haswell Z87 Chipset Motherboards - to be released 2nd Quarter of 2013.

Where I first read of them: Phys.org Search - haswell

Last edited:
Back