San Francisco - comfortable living

loop

Veteran XX
(so)

The GF and I were in SF for a wedding last weekend, and I was blown away by the city overall. Granted, I wasn't there for too long (thurs-mon), but we stayed with people living in Noe Valley and spent a lot of time in the Mission and lots of other neighborhoods. Amazing people all over the place, great food, CLEAN... I was just impressed all around. (she actually lived in SF for 3 years before moving to the midwest, had lots of friends to meet etc).

The downside is the ludicrous cost of property - everything else is just about equal to my midwestern area of the world. 100k or so gets a very comfortable living here - good houses in good neighborhoods can be had for around 180-200. In SF, it looks like 1.5 mill or so for a comparable living situation in a good neighborhood. Since I have kids, I'd be very nervous about going much lower.

Any thoughts on what kind of wages we'd need to combine to in order to be happy and comfortable? We were ballparking about 450-500 combined, but that's a wild-ass-guess for both of us.

lol 250k each? wages arent really different here than anywhere else in the US... its just that there are far more companies and therefore high paying positions available.

and SF is hella clean, wtf you talking about whoop... at least ive never been to, or seen the ghetto parts

Last edited:
it's no surprise that a effeminate smug faggot like you would like sf

south_park_smug.jpg

SF is a dirty fucking shit hole. The entire downtown area smells like piss.

i have watched AT LEAST 5 people take a shit on the sidewalk during the day.

Reactions: bam
lol 250k each? wages arent really different here than anywhere else in the US... its just that there are far more companies and therefore high paying positions available.

yeah, that's another big advantage- in our area of the midwest, there aren't a lot of good opportunities for high-paying jobs. my path maxes out until I start thinking about CTO/CIO or successful startup (both valid choices in my life right now), and those are WAY limited here.

I hope you make the plunge and get a place in SF only to have your GF beat the shit out of you and take it from you like your ex did. Maybe she'll even stab you in front of the kids too.

yeah, that's another big advantage- in our area of the midwest, there aren't a lot of good opportunities for high-paying jobs. my path maxes out until I start thinking about CTO/CIO or successful startup (both valid choices in my life right now), and those are WAY limited here.

right except your chances of being successful arent really different here since youre surrounded by far more competitive and far brighter people than wherever you came from.

its all relative.

the marina and pac heights are cleaner, quieter, nice areas to live in. the marina is the younger crowd and pac heights is older.

north beach is more touristy, and has spill over from china town (dirty gross mess)

raising kids in a city is probably something i'd never do, but thats just me. i'll probably move down to the peninsula when ever that happens. housing down there is expensive as well, $1m for a nice family home or so

they do pay more here, but not enough to offset the costs imo

I am a spec op in suburbia but I love my dirty hippy friends in SF..Do not ever picture living there but I would guess I would need to make 300k range to be ok. I mean that solo.

1 bedroom apartment, thats decent, is 2500/mo minimum to rent in the marina. parking is 250 or so per car.

guessing pac heights is the same or more

everything is more expensive (groceries, restaurants, etc), and CA will tax everything more as well (thx hippy gov't)

Last edited:
SF surprised me by how cold it gets...it's really weird. And traffic on I5 sucks azz.

I've heard that SF is one of the most expensive places to live and is on par if not higher than Oahu in some ways. That's crazy.

SF surprised me by how cold it gets...it's really weird. And traffic on I5 sucks azz.

I've heard that SF is one of the most expensive places to live and is on par if not higher than Oahu in some ways. That's crazy.

I5 doesn't go near SF. Maybe you're thinking of 101?

And lots of my friends live just fine on 100kish, though they're single w/ no kids. You can find 1-bedrooms from 1500-3000, depending on the location/size/etc... 2 bedrooms from 2k+ I think you'd have no trouble raising kids on 200k+/yr, but you wouldn't live in the nicest house in town or anything.

the mission / potrero / haight will have cheaper rent, 1500 would be my guess but it seems rent has gone up quite a bit in the last year or so

the sunset / richmond even cheaper but thats hardly really living in SF

rent has gone up an insane amount here in the past year. studios run around 1800 average, 2200–2300 for a so-so 1br. 3+ roommates is ideal and you'll still be paying around a grand a month minimum.

Crap, you're right...it's whatever road I took to get back to Sacramento before going across the big bridge. That f'ing sucked.

And yah, that sounds comparable to Oahu on those rents...studios are super expensive in Honolulu.

Back