RIP Stadia lmao

I heard something about people having insane amount of hours in characters, but now can't port them to other platforms

^ I care even less than that

I think I ran out of fix to give when I joined this place

i saw this coming long before stadia when some retard exec first said "cloud gaming is teh future"

just as when some dumfk thought NFTs were the future

and another said "single player games are dead"

and "everything must have a battle royale"

and MetAVurSE hurr hURururur

etc

so either the ceos are fuckin stupid, or the investors which theyre scamming are... or most likely both

Stadia died because no one trusts Google TechCrunch
Stadia died because no one trusts Google
Devin Coldewey@techcrunch / 11:45 AM CDT•October 1, 2022
Comment
stadia-glitched
Image Credits: Google / Devin Coldewey
There’s a lot of chatter right now about the “surprise” shutdown of Stadia, Google’s game-streaming service. While it’s true that rivals like Geforce Now and Xbox Cloud Gaming presented entrenched competition and that Google knows next to nothing about gaming, the main trouble — as with most of its products these days — is that no one trusted them to keep it alive longer than a year or two.

It really is that simple: No one trusts Google. It has exhibited such poor understanding of what people want, need and will pay for that at this point, people are wary of investing in even its more popular products.

The technical implementation certainly wasn’t to be faulted. I will admit to being a skeptic when they said they could hit the frame rates and response times they advertised, but by Jove they did it. At its best, Stadia was better than its competitors and almost magical in how it fulfilled the promise of going from zero to in-game in one second.

The business side of things was never quite so inspiring. There is now a great remembering of the much-mocked pre-launch hype display for Stadia: the doomed Dreamcast, pointless Power Glove and E.T. for Atari, the game so bad they buried it in a shallow grave, followed by an empty pedestal on which Stadia would soon sit.

Though it’s clear this was a hilarious misunderstanding of … just about everything, it turned out to be quite apropos. Stadia was doomed, pointless and destined for an undignified death.

The last first; it was only two months ago that Stadia’s Twitter account assured a concerned user that the service was not in fact shutting down.

Image Credits: Google / Twitter

In fact the wheels were probably already in motion, but the higher-ups just hadn’t yet told their social team, developers or pretty much anybody this was the plan. It has been reported that a lot of people close to the service were blindsided by the decision — and who wouldn’t be, after the company publicly declared that everything was fine?

For some the writing was on the wall earlier, when the first-party development team put together by Google to create exclusive games was shut down before it got a chance to do just about anything. The company may have miscalculated how long it takes to develop a game from scratch. At least as long as a Google Doodle.

Still, it could have succeeded even without exclusives if it offered a compelling product. Unfortunately Google Stadia was as pointless and showy as the Power Glove: “It’s so bad,” as the meme has it.

As impressive as its execution was, I couldn’t quite figure out who it was for. A huge, huge proportion of gamers who want to play the latest hit, say Deathloop, will already have either a console, a gaming PC or both. Why would I buy Deathloop for Stadia instead of for my PS5 or on Steam? It will play and look better natively (though Stadia did look surprisingly good), and of course they’ve already invested hundreds into those platforms.

Sure, you could play on the go or on your laptop or something. But … not only do services to do that already exist, but the experience isn’t really great. Full-price games these days are immersive, major affairs where you sit down for an hour or two on the couch and get into it with the surround sound system blasting. Sure, I wouldn’t mind doing a little inventory management on my laptop during a coffee break at the office, but beyond that, having persistent access to AAA games isn’t much of an advantage.

Meanwhile games like Genshin Impact hit AAA levels and are natively portable — played by millions on phones. Again, why was Stadia a better deal?

It might have made sense if the proposal was you pay $20 a month and some Google sorcery let you play your PlayStation, Xbox, Switch or PC games all wherever you want. A real platform-agnostic bridge builder type thing, and Google would probably be paying millions behind the scenes for the privilege. Kind of like what Samsung is attempting:

But no. You couldn’t access your existing games — couldn’t even use your own controller! It cost you a bill to get in the door plus the monthly fee, then you had to buy games on top of that, full price.

And here’s where it was really doomed. Because while people will happily drop a couple bucks here and there for a Google service, no one is going to pay hundreds for something they have a sneaking feeling is going to be completely worthless in short order.

Google’s legacy of killing products is infamous. Its twists and turns on priorities, branding, standards and everything else have made it clear to everyone that they cannot be trusted with anything beyond their core services, and they even like to screw those up now and then.

I still have my original Super Nintendo, which plays as well as it did the day I brought it home. My Mario Kart and Super Metroid cartridges have been working for … my god, 30 years now. I have games on Steam I bought a decade and more ago that I can load up and play as easily as I did then. There are digital copies of games on my PS3 that would boot right up if I felt like digging it out of storage. These companies and services have built trust over decades to show that they either can’t or won’t pull the rug out from under their customers.

Why do you think the whole P.T. drama was so disturbing? It was truly unexpected: An aggressive and unnecessary destruction of a digital product that people thought they owned. Gamers felt a betrayal.

But with Google the shoe is on the other foot. Google has built nothing but mistrust, outside a handful of products no one wants or needs to change. For me (and dozens more of us) the turning point was the assassination of Google Reader — for which I will never forgive them, and try to regularly exert a small vengeance by mentioning it like so — but plenty of other products have been extended, embraced and then extinguished (to repurpose the idiom).

Google couldn’t betray me now if they tried — because there’s nothing to betray. To be honest I would be relieved if they screwed up Gmail so badly that I had no choice but to switch — I can’t work up the volition otherwise.

And although there is no doubt that the people for whom Stadia did make sense for whatever reason (and I was happy for them) do feel betrayed, the millions more who squinted and smiled and said “not this time, big G!” are feeling validated. I will say that I’m surprised Google is doing the right thing by offering a truly robust refund. It’s the least they could do, and god knows they have the money.

I don’t think Stadia could ever really have been a success. Its entire model was probably doomed to failure from the start. But even a long shot can be molded into a successful product with a few pivots if the core is solid and it develops a large, invested community. That was never, ever going to be the case for Stadia. Google has built a case against itself so strong that, whether it’s creators on YouTube, coders and scientists on Colab, or media and advertisers in Search, no community will ever truly trust it again.

Also
Google Graveyard - Killed by Google
Killed by Google

Google Cloud IoT Core
Running out of juice in 11 months, Google Cloud IoT Core was a managed designed to let customers securely connect, manage, and ingest data from globally dispersed devices. It will be over 5 years old.

Conversational Actions
Going poof in 8 months, Conversational Actions extended the functionality of Google Assistant by allowing 3rd party developers to create custom experiences, or conversations, for users of Google Assistant. It will be over 6 years old.

Google Currents (2019)
Getting unplugged in 6 months, Google Currents was a that provided social media features similar to Google+ for Google Workspace customers. It will be almost 4 years old.

Google Stadia
Expiring in 4 months, Google Stadia was a cloud gaming combining a WiFi gaming controller and allowed users to stream gameplay through web browsers, TV, mobile s, and Chromecast. It will be about 3 years old.

YouTube Originals
Off to the glue factory in 3 months, YouTube Originals was a variety of original content including scripted series, educational videos, and music and celebrity programming. It will be over 6 years old.

Google OnHub
Running out of juice in 3 months, Google OnHub was a series of residential wireless routers manufactured by Asus and TP-Link that were powered by Google software, managed by Google s, and offered enhanced special features like Google Assistant. It will be over 7 years old.

Google Hangouts
Biting the big one in about 2 months, Google Hangouts was a cross-platform instant messaging . It will be over 9 years old.

YouTube Go
Killed about 2 months ago, YouTube Go was an aimed at making YouTube easier to access on mobile devices in emerging markets through special features like downloading video on wifi for viewing later. It was over 5 years old.

Google My Business ()
Killed 2 months ago, Google My Business was an that allowed businesses to manage their Google Maps Business profiles. It was over 3 years old.

Google Chrome s
Killed 3 months ago, Google Chrome s were hosted or packaged web lications that ran on the Google Chrome browser. It was over 11 years old.

Kormo Jobs
Killed 3 months ago, Kormo Jobs was an that allowed users in primarily India, Indonesia, and Bangladesh to help them find jobs nearby that match their skills and interests. It was almost 3 years old.

Android Auto for phone screens
Killed 3 months ago, Android Auto for phone screens was an that allowed the screen of the phone to be used as an Android Auto interface while driving, intended for vehicles that did not have a compatible screen built in. It was over 2 years old.

G Suite (Legacy Free Edition)
Killed 5 months ago, G Suite (Legacy Free Edition) was a free tier offering some of the s included in Google's productivity suite. It was over 15 years old.

Google Assistant Snapshot
Killed 6 months ago, Google Assistant Snapshot was the successor to Google Now that provided predictive cards with information and daily updates in the Google for Android and iOS. It was over 3 years old.

Cameos on Google
Killed 8 months ago, Cameos on Google allowed celebrities and other public figures to record video responses to the most common questions asked about them which would be shown to users in Google Search results. It was over 3 years old.

Android Things
Killed 9 months ago, Android Things was an Android-based embedded operating system (originally named Brillo) aimed to run on Internet of Things (IoT) devices. It was over 6 years old.

AngularJS
Killed 9 months ago, AngularJS was a JavaScript open-source front-end web framework based on MVC pattern using a dependency injection technique. It was about 11 years old.

Streams
Killed 9 months ago, Streams was a "clinician support " which aimed to improve clinical decision-making and patient safety across hospitals in the United Kingdom. It was about 4 years old.

Material Gallery
Killed 10 months ago, Material Gallery is a collaboration tool for UI designers, optimized for Google's Material Design, with mobile preview s and a Sketch plugin. It was over 3 years old.

Google Toolbar
Killed 10 months ago, Google Toolbar was a web browser toolbar that provided a search box in web browsers like Internet Explorer and Firefox. It was about 21 years old.

Google Sites (Classic)
Killed 10 months ago, Google Sites (Classic) allowed users to build and edit websites and wiki portals for private and public use. It was almost 14 years old.

Your News Update
Killed 11 months ago, Your News Update was a that offered an audio digest of a mix of short news stories chosen at that moment based on a user's interests, location, user history, and preferences, as well as the top news stories out there. It was almost 2 years old.

Google My Maps
Killed 12 months ago, My Maps was an Android lication that enabled users to create custom maps for personal use or sharing on their mobile device. It was almost 7 years old.

Backup and Sync
Killed about 1 year ago, Backup and Sync was a desktop software tool for Windows and macOS that allowed users to sync files from Google Drive to their local machine. It was over 4 years old.

Google Bookmarks
Killed about 1 year ago, Google Bookmarks was a private web-based bookmarking not integrated with any other Google s. It was almost 16 years old.

Chatbase
Killed about 1 year ago, Analytics platform for Google's Dialogflow chatbot & others, started by the Google-funded Area120 incubator then retired and partially merged into Dialogflow itself. It was almost 4 years old.

VR180 Creator
Killed about 1 year ago, VR180 Creator allowed users to edit video taken on 180-degree and 360-degree devices on multiple operating systems. It was about 3 years old.

Posts on Google
Killed about 1 year ago, Posts on Google allowed notable individuals with knowledge graph panels to author specific content that would ear in Google Search results. It was about 9 years old.

Fitbit Coach
Killed about 1 year ago, Fitbit Coach (formerly Fitstar) was a video-based bodyweight workout that used AI to personalize workouts based on user feedback. It was about 8 years old.

Fitstar Yoga
Killed about 1 year ago, Fitstar Yoga was a video-based yoga that created unique yoga sessions based on user preference and skill level. It was almost 7 years old.

Tour Builder
Killed about 1 year ago, Tour Builder allowed users to create and share interactive tours inside Google Earth with photos and videos of locations. It was about 8 years old.

Expeditions
Killed over 1 year ago, Expeditions is a program for providing virtual reality experiences to school classrooms through Google Cardboard viewers, allowing educators to take their students on virtual field trips. It was almost 6 years old.

Tour Creator
Killed over 1 year ago, Tour Creator allowed users to build immersive, 360° guided tours that could be viewed with VR devices. It was about 3 years old.

Poly
Killed over 1 year ago, Poly was a distribution platform for creators to share 3D objects. It was over 3 years old.

Google Play Movies & TV
Killed over 1 year ago, Google Play Movies & TV, originally Google TV, was an used to view purchased and rented media and was ultimately replaced with YouTube. It was about 10 years old.

Measure
Killed over 1 year ago, Measure allowed users to take measurements of everyday objects with their device's camera utilizing ARCore technology. It was about 5 years old.

Zync Render
Killed over 1 year ago, Zync render was a cloud render platform for animation and visual effects. It was almost 7 years old.

Timely
Killed over 1 year ago, Timely Alarm Clock was an Android lication providing an alarm, stopwatch, and timer functionality with synchronization across devices. It was almost 8 years old.

Google Shopping Mobile
Killed over 1 year ago, The Google Shopping Mobile , which had absorbed Google Express when it launched, provided a native shopping experience with a personalized homepage for mobile users. It is now retired and the functionality lives on in the Shopping Tab. It was almost 2 years old.

2012 - 2021

Google Public Alerts
Killed over 1 year ago, Google Public Alerts was an online notification owned by Google.org that sends safety alerts to various countries. It was over 8 years old.

2010 - 2021

Google Go Links
Killed over 1 year ago, (also known as Google Short Links) was a URL shortening . It also supported custom domain for customers of Google Workspace (formerly G Suite (formerly Google s)). It was about 11 years old.

2011 - 2021

Google Crisis Map
Killed over 1 year ago, Google Crisis Map was a website that allowed to create, publish, and share maps by combining layers from anywhere on the web. It was over 9 years old.

2014 - 2021

Google Cardboard
Killed over 1 year ago, Google Cardboard was a low-cost, virtual reality (VR) platform named after its folded cardboard viewer into which a smartphone was inserted. It was over 6 years old.

2018 - 2021

Swift for TensorFlow
Killed over 1 year ago, Swift for TensorFlow (S4TF) was a next-generation platform for machine learning with a focus on differentiable programming. It was almost 3 years old.

2016 - 2021

Tilt Brush
Killed over 1 year ago, Tilt Brush was a room-scale 3D-painting virtual-reality lication available from Google, originally developed by Skillman & Hackett. It was almost 5 years old.

2014 - 2021

Loon
Killed over 1 year ago, Loon was a to provide internet access via an array of high-altitude balloons hovering in the Earth's stratosphere It was over 6 years old.

2016 - 2021

Killed over 1 year ago, was a tool that allowed its users to build and deploy custom business s easily and securely on the web without writing much code. It was about 4 years old.

2010 - 2020

Google Cloud Print
Killed almost 2 years ago, Google Cloud Print allowed users to 'print from anywhere;' to print from web, desktop, or mobile to any Google Cloud Print-connected printer. It was over 10 years old.

2017 - 2020

Google Home Max
Killed almost 2 years ago, Google Home Max was a large, stereo smart speaker with two tweeters and subwoofers, aux input, and a USB-C input (for wired ethernet) featuring Smart Sound machine learning technology. It was about 3 years old.

2016 - 2020

Science Journal
Killed almost 2 years ago, Science Journal was a mobile that helped you run science experiments with your smartphone using the device's onboard sensors. It was over 4 years old.

2017 - 2020

YouTube VR (SteamVR)
Killed almost 2 years ago, YouTube VR allowed you to easily find and watch 360 videos and virtual reality content with SteamVR-compatible headsets. It was almost 3 years old.

2016 - 2020

Trusted Contacts
Killed almost 2 years ago, Trusted Contacts was an that allowed users to share their location and view the location of specific users. It was almost 4 years old.

2011 - 2020

Google Play Music
Killed almost 2 years ago, Google Play Music was a music and podcast streaming , and online music locker. It was almost 9 years old.

2017 - 2020

Nest Secure
Killed almost 2 years ago, Nest Secure was a security system with an alarm, keypad, and motion sensor with an embedded microphone. It was almost 3 years old.

2016 - 2020

YouTube Community Contributions
Killed about 2 years ago, YouTube Community Contributions allowed users to contribute translations for video titles or submit descriptions, closed captions or subtitles on YouTube content. It was over 4 years old.

2017 - 2020

Hire by Google
Killed about 2 years ago, Google Hire was an licant tracking system to help small to medium businesses distribute jobs, identify and attract candidates, build strong relationships with candidates, and efficiently manage the interview process. It was about 3 years old.

2019 - 2020

Password Checkup extension
Killed about 2 years ago, Password Checkup provided a warning to users if they were using a username and password combination checked against over 4 billion credentials that Google knew to be unsafe. It was over 1 year old.

2017 - 2020

Playground AR
Killed about 2 years ago, Playground AR (aka AR Stickers) allowed users to place virtual characters and objects in augmented reality via the Camera on Pixel phones. It was over 2 years old.

2019 - 2020

Focals by North
Killed about 2 years ago, Focals were a custom-built smart glasses product with a transparent, holographic display that allowed users to read and respond to text messages, navigate turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, and integrate with third-party s like Uber and Amazon Alexa. It was over 1 year old.

2019 - 2020

CallJoy
Killed about 2 years ago, CallJoy was an Area 120 project that provided phone automation for small-to-medium businesses allowing them to train the bot agent with responses to common customer questions. It was about 1 year old.

2020 - 2020

Google Photos Print
Killed over 2 years ago, Google Photos Print was a subscription that automatically selected the best ten photos from the last thirty days which were mailed to user's homes. It was 5 months old.

2018 - 2020

Pigeon Transit
Killed over 2 years ago, Pigeon Transit was a transit that used crowdsourced information about delays, crowded trains, escalator outages, live entertainment, dirty or unsafe conditions. It was almost 2 years old.

2008 - 2020

Enhanced 404 Pages
Killed over 2 years ago, Enhanced 404 Pages was a JavaScript library that added suggested URLs and a search box to a website's 404 Not Found page. It was over 11 years old.

2019 - 2020

Shoelace
Killed over 2 years ago, Shoelace was an used to find group activities with others who share your interests. It was 11 months old.

2018 - 2020

Neighbourly
Killed over 2 years ago, Neighbourly was a mobile designed to help you learn about your neighborhood by asking other residents, and find out about local s and facilities in your area from people who live around you. It was almost 2 years old.

2014 - 2020

Fabric
Killed over 2 years ago, Fabric was a platform that helped mobile teams build better s, understand their users, and grow their business. It was over 5 years old.

2014 - 2020

Google Contributor
Killed over 2 years ago, Google Contributor was a program run by Google that allowed users in the Google Network of content sites to view the websites without any advertisements that are administered, sorted, and maintained by Google. It was over 5 years old.

2018 - 2020

Material Theme Editor
Killed over 2 years ago, Material Theme Editor is a plugin for Sketch which allows you to create a material-based design system for your . It was almost 2 years old.

2015 - 2020

Google Station
Killed over 2 years ago, Google Station is a that gives partners an easy set of tools to roll out Wi-Fi hotspots in public places. Google Station provides software and guidance on to turn fiber connections into fast, reliable, and safe Wi-Fi zones. It was over 4 years old.

2013 - 2020

One Today
Killed over 2 years ago, One Today was an that allowed users to donate $1 to different organizations and discover how their donation would be used. It was almost 7 years old.

2011 - 2020

Androidify
Killed over 2 years ago, Androidify allowed users to create a custom Android avatar for themselves and others. It was almost 9 years old.

2012 - 2020

Google Fiber TV
Killed over 2 years ago, Google Fiber TV was an IPTV that was bundled with Google Fiber. It was about 7 years old.

2012 - 2019

Field Trip
Killed almost 3 years ago, Field Trip was a mobile that acted as a virtual tour guide by cross-referencing multiple sources of information to provide users information about points of interest near them. It was over 7 years old.

2013 - 2019

AdSense (mobile )
Killed almost 3 years ago, AdSense (mobile ) allowed users to manage their AdSense accounts in a native for iOS and Android. It was over 6 years old.

2011 - 2019

Google Correlate
Killed almost 3 years ago, Google Correlate was a that provided users information about how strongly the frequency of multiple search terms correlates with each other over a specified time interval. It was over 8 years old.

2009 - 2019

Google Translator Toolkit
Killed almost 3 years ago, Google Translator Toolkit was a web lication which allowed translators to edit and manage translations generated by Google Translate. It was over 10 years old.

2009 - 2019

Google Fusion Tables
Killed almost 3 years ago, Google Fusion Tables was a web for data management that provided a means for visualizing data in different charts, maps, and graphs. It was over 10 years old.

2018 - 2019

Google Bulletin
Killed almost 3 years ago, Google Bulletin was a hyperlocal news where users could post news from their neighborhood and allow others in the same areas to hear those stories. It was almost 2 years old.

2018 - 2019

Touring Bird
Killed almost 3 years ago, Touring Bird was an Area 120 incubator project which helped users compare prices, book tours, tickets, and experiences, and learn about top destinations around the world. It was about 1 year old.

2019 - 2019

Game Builder
Killed almost 3 years ago, Game Builder was a multiplayer 3D game environment for creating new games without coding experience. It was 5 months old.

2017 - 2019

Datally
Killed almost 3 years ago, Datally (formerly Triangle) was a smart by Google that helped you save, manage, and share your mobile data. It was over 2 years old.

2017 - 2019

Google Clips
Killed almost 3 years ago, Google Clips was a miniature clip-on camera that could automatically capture interesting or relevant video clips determined by machine learning algorithms. It was about 2 years old.

2016 - 2019

Google Daydream
Killed almost 3 years ago, Google Daydream was a virtual reality platform and set of devices that worked with certain Android phones. It was almost 3 years old.

2010 - 2019

YouTube Leanback
Killed about 3 years ago, YouTube Leanback was an optimized version of YouTube used for television web browsers and WebView lication wrers. It was about 9 years old.

2013 - 2019

Message Center
Killed about 3 years ago, Message Center is a web console where Gmail users view and manage spam email messages. It was almost 6 years old.

2011 - 2019

Follow Your World
Killed about 3 years ago, Follow Your World allowed users to register points of interest on Google Maps and receive email updates whenever the imagery is updated. It was over 8 years old.

2013 - 2019

G Suite Training
Killed about 3 years ago, G Suite Training (previously known as Synergyse) provided interactive and video-based training for 20 Google G Suite products in nine languages through a website and a Chrome extension. It was over 6 years old.

2017 - 2019

YouTube Messages
Killed about 3 years ago, YouTube Messages was a direct messaging feature that allowed users to share and discuss videos one-on-one and in groups on YouTube. It was about 2 years old.

2013 - 2019

YouTube for Nintendo 3DS
Killed about 3 years ago, YouTube for Nintendo 3DS, 2DS, and New 3DS allowed users to stream YouTube videos on the portable gaming console. It was almost 6 years old.

2014 - 2019

Works with Nest API
Killed about 3 years ago, Works with Nest was an API that allowed external s to access and control Nest devices. This enabled the devices to be used with third-party home automation platforms and devices. It was about 5 years old.

2016 - 2019

Google Trips
Killed about 3 years ago, Google Trips was a mobile that allowed users to plan for upcoming travel by facilitating flight, hotel, car, and restaurant reservations from user's email alongside summarized info about the user's destination. It was almost 3 years old.

2011 - 2019

Hangouts on Air
Killed about 3 years ago, Hangouts on Air allowed users to host a multi-user video call while recording and streaming the call on YouTube. It was almost 8 years old.

2011 - 2019

Personal Blocklist
Killed about 3 years ago, Personal Blocklist was a Chrome Web Extension by Google that allowed users to block certain websites from earing in Google search results. It was over 8 years old.

2018 - 2019

Dragonfly
Killed about 3 years ago, Dragonfly was a search engine designed to be compatible with China's state censorship provisions. It was 11 months old.

2015 - 2019

Google Jump
Killed over 3 years ago, Google Jump was a cloud-based VR media solution that enabled 3D-360 media production by integrating customized capture solutions with best-in-class automated stitching. It was about 4 years old.

2018 - 2019

Blog Compass
Killed over 3 years ago, Blog Compass was a blog management tool that integrated with WordPress and Blogger available only in India. It was 9 months old.

2017 - 2019

Areo
Killed over 3 years ago, Areo was a mobile that allowed users in Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Gurgaon, and Pune to order meals from nearby restaurants or schedule ointments with local professionals, including electricians, painters, cleaners, plumbers, and more. It was about 2 years old.

2015 - 2019

YouTube Gaming
Killed over 3 years ago, YouTube Gaming was a video gaming-oriented and for videos and live streaming. It was almost 4 years old.

2012 - 2019

Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Killed over 3 years ago, Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) was a notification that enabled developers to send messages between servers and client s running on Android or Chrome. It was almost 7 years old.

2015 - 2019

Data Saver Extension for Chrome
Killed over 3 years ago, Data Saver was an extension for Chrome that routed web pages through Google servers to compress and reduce the user's bandwidth. It was about 4 years old.

2015 - 2019

Inbox by Gmail
Killed over 3 years ago, Inbox by Gmail aimed to improve email through several key features. It was almost 4 years old.

2011 - 2019

Google+
Killed over 3 years ago, Google+ was an Internet-based social network. It was almost 8 years old.

2009 - 2019

Google URL Shortener
Killed over 3 years ago, Google URL Shortener, also known as goo.gl, was a URL shortening . It was over 9 years old.

2013 - 2019

Google Spotlight Stories
Killed over 3 years ago, Google Spotlight Stories was an and content studio project which created immersive stories for mobile and VR. It was over 5 years old.

2016 - 2019

Google Allo
Killed over 3 years ago, Google Allo was an instant messaging mobile for Android, iOS, and Web with special features like a virtual assistant and encrypted mode. It was over 2 years old.

2015 - 2019

Google Notification Widget (Mr. Jingles)
Killed over 3 years ago, Mr. Jingles (aka Google Notification Widget) displayed alerts and notifications from across multiple Google s. It was almost 4 years old.

2008 - 2019

YouTube Video Annotations
Killed over 3 years ago, YouTube Video Annotations allowed video creators to add interactive commentary to their videos containing background information, branching ("choose your own adventure" style) stories, or links to any YouTube video, channel, or search results page. It was over 10 years old.

2013 - 2019

Google Realtime API
Killed over 3 years ago, Google Realtime API provided ways to synchronize resources between devices. It operated on files stored on Google Drive. It was almost 6 years old.

2015 - 2019

Chromecast Audio
Killed over 3 years ago, Chromecast Audio was a device that allowed users to stream audio from any device to any speaker with an audio input. It was over 3 years old.

2002 - 2018

Google Search liance
Killed almost 4 years ago, Google Search liance was a rack-mounted device that provided document indexing functionality. It was almost 17 years old.

2015 - 2018

Google Nearby Notifications
Killed almost 4 years ago, Google Nearby Notifications were a proximity marketing tool using Bluetooth beacons and location-based data to serve content relevant to an Android user's real-world location. It was over 3 years old.

2007 - 2018

Google Pinyin IME
Killed almost 4 years ago, Google Pinyin IME was an input method that allowed users on multiple operating systems to input characters from pinyin, the romanization of Standard Mandarin Chinese. It was over 11 years old.

2016 - 2018

Google News & Weather
Killed almost 4 years ago, Google News & Weather was a news aggregator lication available on the Android and iOS operating systems. It was about 2 years old.

2018 - 2018

Killed almost 4 years ago, Reply was a mobile that let users insert Smart Replies (pre-defined replies) into conversations on messaging s. It was 8 months old.

2017 - 2018

Tez
Killed about 4 years ago, Tez was a mobile payments by Google, targeted at users in India. It was rebranded to Google Pay. It was 11 months old.

2010 - 2018

Google Goggles
Killed about 4 years ago, Google Goggles was used for searches based on pictures taken by handheld devices. It was almost 8 years old.

2016 - 2018

Save to Google Chrome Extension
Killed about 4 years ago, Save to Google Chrome Extension enabled you to quickly save a page link with image and tags to a Pocket-like . It was over 2 years old.

2013 - 2018

Google Play Newsstand
Killed over 4 years ago, Google Play Newsstand was a news aggregator and digital newsstand . It was over 4 years old.

2010 - 2018

Encrypted Search
Killed over 4 years ago, Encrypted Search provided users with anonymous internet searching. It was almost 8 years old.

2010 - 2018

Google Cloud Prediction API
Killed over 4 years ago, Google Cloud Prediction API was a PaaS for machine learning (ML) functionality to help developers build ML models to create lication features such as recommendation systems, spam detection, and purchase prediction. It was almost 8 years old.

2010 - 2018

qpx-express-API
Killed over 4 years ago, A that Google developed for long-tail travel clients. ITA Software will create a new, easier way for users to find better flight information online, which should encourage more users to make their flight purchases online. It was almost 8 years old.

2008 - 2018

Google Site Search
Killed over 4 years ago, Google's Site Search was a that enabled any website to add a custom search field powered by Google. It was over 9 years old.

2010 - 2018

reCAPTCHA Mailhide
Killed over 4 years ago, reCAPTCHA Mailhide allowed users to mask their email address behind a captcha to prevent robots from scraping the email and sending spam. It was almost 8 years old.

2016 - 2018

SoundStage
Killed over 4 years ago, SoundStage was a virtual reality music sandbox built specifically for room-scale VR. It was over 1 year old.

2014 - 2017

Project Tango
Killed almost 5 years ago, Project Tango was an API for augmented reality s that was killed and replaced by ARCore. It was about 3 years old.

2006 - 2017

Google Portfolios
Killed almost 5 years ago, Portfolios was a feature available in Google Finance to track personal financial securities. It was over 11 years old.

2010 - 2017

YouTube Video Editor
Killed about 5 years ago, YouTube Video Editor was a web-based tool for editing, merging, and adding special effects to video content. It was over 7 years old.

2007 - 2017

Trendalyzer
Killed about 5 years ago, Trendalyzer was a data trend viewing platform. It was over 10 years old.

2013 - 2017

Glass OS
Killed over 5 years ago, Glass OS (Google XE) was a version of Google's Android operating system designed for Google Glass. It was about 4 years old.

2008 - 2017

Google Map Maker
Killed over 5 years ago, Google Map Maker was a ming and map editing where users were able to draw features directly onto a map. It was almost 9 years old.

2013 - 2017

Chromebook Pixel
Killed over 5 years ago, Chromebook Pixel was a first-of-its-kind laptop built by Google that ran Chrome OS, a Linux kernel-based operating system. It was about 4 years old.

2016 - 2017

Google Spaces
Killed over 5 years ago, Google Spaces was an for group discussions and messaging. It was 9 months old.

2016 - 2017

Google Hands Free
Killed over 5 years ago, Google Hands Free was a mobile payment system that allowed users to pay their bill using Bluetooth to connect to payment terminals by saying 'I'll pay with Google.' It was 11 months old.

2010 - 2017

Gesture Search
Killed almost 6 years ago, Google Gesture Search allowed users to search contacts, lications, settings, music, and bookmark on their Android device by drawing letters or numbers onto the screen. It was almost 7 years old.

2005 - 2016

Panoramio
Killed almost 6 years ago, Panoramio was a geo-location tagging and photo sharing product. It was about 11 years old.

2005 - 2016

Google Showtimes
Killed almost 6 years ago, Google Showtimes was a standalone movie search result page. It was about 11 years old.

2012 - 2016

Pixate
Killed almost 6 years ago, Pixate was a platform for creating sophisticated animations and interactions, and refining your designs through 100% native prototypes for iOS and Android. It was over 4 years old.

2010 - 2016

Google Nexus
Killed almost 6 years ago, Google Nexus was Google's line of flagship Android phones, tablets, and accessories. It was over 6 years old.

2015 - 2016

Together
Killed about 6 years ago, Together was a watch face for Android Wear that let two users link their watches together to share small visual messages. It was about 1 year old.

2013 - 2016

Project Ara
Killed about 6 years ago, Project Ara was a modular smartphone project under development by Google. It was almost 3 years old.

2012 - 2016

Web Hosting in Google Drive
Killed about 6 years ago, Web hosting in Google Drive allowed users to publish live websites by uploading HTML, CSS, and other files. It was almost 4 years old.

2011 - 2016

Google Swiffy
Killed over 6 years ago, Google Swiffy was a web-based tool that converted SWF files to HTML5. It was about 5 years old.

2013 - 2016

Google Wallet Card
Killed over 6 years ago, Google Wallet Card was a prepaid debit card that let users pay for things in person and online using their Wallet balance at any retailer that accepted MasterCard. It was over 2 years old.

2014 - 2016

Nexus Player
Killed over 6 years ago, Nexus Player was a digital media player that allowed users to play music, watch video originating from Internet s or a local network, and play games. It was over 1 year old.

2012 - 2016

Revolv
Killed over 6 years ago, Revolv was a monitoring and control system that allowed users to control their connected devices from a single hub. It was about 4 years old.

2007 - 2016

Freebase
Killed over 6 years ago, Freebase was a large collaborative knowledge base consisting of structured data composed mainly by its community members, developed by Metaweb(acquired by Google). It was about 9 years old.

2012 - 2016

Google Now
Killed over 6 years ago, Google Now was a feature of Google Search that offered predictive cards with information and daily updates in Chrome and the Google for Android and iOS. It was almost 4 years old.

2009 - 2016

MyTracks
Killed over 6 years ago, MyTracks was a GPS tracking lication for Android which allowed users to track their path, speed, distance, and elevation. It was about 7 years old.

2015 - 2016

uWeave
Killed over 6 years ago, uWeave (pronounced “micro weave”) was an implementation of the Weave protocol intended for use on microcontroller-based devices. It was 4 months old.

2015 - 2016

Google Compare
Killed over 6 years ago, Google Compare allowed consumers to compare several offers ranging from insurance, mortgage, and credit cards. It was about 1 year old.

2012 - 2016

Google Maps Coordinate
Killed over 6 years ago, Google Maps Coordinate was a for managing mobile workforces with the help of mobile s and a web-based dashboard. It was over 3 years old.

2013 - 2016

Pie
Killed over 6 years ago, Pie was a work-centric group chat website and comparable to Slack. It was over 2 years old.

2013 - 2016

Google Maps Engine
Killed over 6 years ago, Google Maps Engine was an online tool for map creation. It enabled you to create layered maps using your data as well as Google Maps data. It was over 2 years old.

2007 - 2016

Songza
Killed over 6 years ago, Songza was a free music streaming that would recommend its users' various playlists based on time of day and mood or activity. It was about 8 years old.

2005 - 2016

Google Code
Killed over 6 years ago, Google Code was a that provided revision control, an issue tracker, and a wiki for code documentation. It was almost 11 years old.

2005 - 2015

Google Blog Search API
Killed almost 7 years ago, Google Blog Search API was a way to search blogs utilizing Google. It was over 10 years old.

2008 - 2015

Google Earth Browser Plug-in
Killed almost 7 years ago, Google Earth Browser Plug-in allowed developers to embed Google Earth into web pages and included a JavaScript API for custom 3D drawing and interaction. It was over 7 years old.

2012 - 2015

Timeful
Killed almost 7 years ago, Timeful was an iOS to-do list and calendar lication, developed to reinvent the way that people manage their most precious resource of time. It was almost 4 years old.

2002 - 2015

Picasa
Killed almost 7 years ago, Picasa was an image organizer and image viewer for organizing and editing digital photos. It was almost 13 years old.

2008 - 2015

Google Flu Trends
Killed about 7 years ago, Google Flu Trends was a attempting to make accurate predictions about flu activity. It was almost 7 years old.

2011 - 2015

Google Catalogs
Killed about 7 years ago, Google Catalogs was a shopping lication that delivered the virtual catalogs of large retailers to users. It was almost 4 years old.

2008 - 2015

Google Moderator
Killed over 7 years ago, Google Moderator was a that used crowdsourcing to rank user-submitted questions, suggestions, and ideas. It was almost 7 years old.

2011 - 2015

Android @ Home
Killed over 7 years ago, Android @ Home allowed a user’s device to discover, connect, and communicate with devices and liances in the home. It was about 4 years old.

2013 - 2015

Google Helpouts
Killed over 7 years ago, Google Helpouts was an online collaboration where users could share their expertise through live video. It was over 1 year old.

2012 - 2015

YouTube for PS Vita
Killed over 7 years ago, YouTube for PlayStation Vita was a native YouTube browsing and viewing lication for the PS Vita and PSTV game consoles. It was over 2 years old.

2013 - 2015

BebaPay
Killed over 7 years ago, BebaPay was a form of electronic ticketing platform in Nairobi, Kenya that was developed by Google in partnership with Equity Bank. It was almost 2 years old.

2013 - 2015

Google Play Edition
Killed over 7 years ago, Google Play Edition devices were a series of Android smartphones and tablets sold by Google. It was over 1 year old.

2013 - 2015

Google Glass Explorer Edition
Killed over 7 years ago, Google Glass Explorer Edition was a wearable computer with an optical head-mounted display and camera that allows the wearer to interact with various lications and the Internet via natural language voice commands. It was almost 2 years old.

2010 - 2015

Word Lens
Killed over 7 years ago, Word Lens translated text in real time on images by using the viewfinder of a device's camera without the need of an internet connection; The technology was rolled into Google Translate. It was about 4 years old.

2004 - 2014

Orkut
Killed about 8 years ago, Orkut was a social network designed to help users meet new and old friends and maintain existing relationships. It was over 10 years old.

2010 - 2014

Google TV
Killed over 8 years ago, Google TV was a smart TV platform that integrated Android and Chrome to create an interactive television overlay. It was over 3 years old.

2013 - 2014

Quickoffice
Killed over 8 years ago, Quickoffice was a productivity suite for mobile devices which allowed the viewing, creating and editing of documents, presentations and spreadsheets. It was 9 months old.

2007 - 2014

Google Questions and Answers
Killed over 8 years ago, Google Questions and Answers was a free knowledge market that allowed users to collaboratively find answers to their questions. It was almost 7 years old.

2012 - 2014

Wildfire Interactive
Killed over 8 years ago, Wildfire by Google was a social marketing lication that enabled businesses to create, optimize and measure their presence on social networks. It was over 1 year old.

2012 - 2014

BufferBox
Killed over 8 years ago, BufferBox was a Canadian startup that provided consumers 24/7 convenience of picking up their online purchases. It was about 1 year old.

2013 - 2014

SlickLogin
Killed over 8 years ago, SlickLogin was an Israeli start-up company which developed sound-based password alternatives, was acquired by Google and hasn't released anything since. It was 7 months old.

2011 - 2014

Google Schemer
Killed over 8 years ago, Google Schemer was a Google for sharing and discovering things to do. It was over 2 years old.

2010 - 2014

Google Chrome Frame
Killed over 8 years ago, Google Chrome Frame was a plugin for Internet Explorer that allowed web pages to be displayed using WebKit and the V8 JavaScript engine. It was over 3 years old.

2005 - 2014

Google Notifier
Killed over 8 years ago, Google Notifier alerted users to new emails on their Gmail account. It was about 9 years old.

2009 - 2014

Bump!
Killed over 8 years ago, Bump! is a discontinued iOS and Android mobile that enables smartphone users to transfer contact information, photos, and files between devices. It was almost 5 years old.

2011 - 2014

Google Offers
Killed almost 9 years ago, Google Offers was a offering discounts and coupons. Initially, it was a deal of the day website similar to Groupon. It was over 2 years old.

2011 - 2013

Google Currents
Killed almost 9 years ago, Google Currents was a social magazine by Google, which was replaced by Google Play Newsstand. It was almost 2 years old.

2006 - 2013

Google Checkout
Killed almost 9 years ago, Google Checkout was an online payment processing that aimed to simplify the process of paying for online purchases. It was over 7 years old.

2010 - 2013

Google Trader
Killed almost 9 years ago, Google Trader was a classifieds run by Google in Ghana, Uganda, Kenya, and Nigeria to help customers trade goods and s online. It was almost 3 years old.

2005 - 2013

iGoogle
Killed almost 9 years ago, iGoogle was a customizable Ajax-based start page or personal web portal. It was over 8 years old.

2009 - 2013

Google Latitude
Killed about 9 years ago, Google Latitude was a location-aware feature of Google Maps, a successor to an earlier SMS-based Dodgeball. It was over 4 years old.

2005 - 2013

Google Reader
Killed over 9 years ago, Google Reader was an RSS/Atom feed aggregator. It was over 7 years old.

2012 - 2013

Nexus Q
Killed over 9 years ago, Nexus Q was a digital media player that allowed users with Android devices to stream content from supported s to a connected television or speakers via an integrated amplifier. It was about 1 year old.

2011 - 2013

Punchd
Killed over 9 years ago, Punchd was a digital loyalty card and targeted towards small businesses that originated as a student project at Cal Poly in 2009 and was acquired by Google in 2011. It was almost 2 years old.

2009 - 2013

Building Maker
Killed over 9 years ago, Building Maker enabled users to create 3D models of buildings for Google Earth on the browser. It was over 3 years old.

2005 - 2013

Google Talk
Killed over 9 years ago, Often remembered as 'Gchat', Google Talk was a messaging for both text and voice using XMPP. It was over 7 years old.

2004 - 2013

Google SMS
Killed over 9 years ago, Google SMS let you text questions- including weather, sports scores, word definitions, and more- to 466453 and get an answer back. It was over 8 years old.

2008 - 2013

Google Cloud Connect
Killed over 9 years ago, Google Cloud Connect was a free cloud computing plugin for multiple versions of Microsoft Office that automatically stored and synchronized files to Google Docs. It was about 5 years old.

2007 - 2013

Picnik
Killed over 9 years ago, Picnik was an online photo editing that allowed users to edit, style, crop, and resize images. It was over 6 years old.

2007 - 2012

Google Chart API
Killed almost 10 years ago, Google Chart API was an interactive Web that created graphical charts from user-supplied data. It was about 5 years old.

2007 - 2012

Google Mini
Killed almost 10 years ago, Google Mini was a smaller version of the Google Search liance. It was about 5 years old.

2008 - 2012

AdSense for Feeds
Killed almost 10 years ago, AdSense for Feeds was an RSS-based for AdSense that allowed publishers to advertise on their RSS Feeds. It was over 4 years old.

2009 - 2012

Google Listen
Killed almost 10 years ago, Google Listen was an Android lication that let you search, subscribe, download, and stream podcasts and web audio. It was about 3 years old.

2010 - 2012

Google Refine
Killed almost 10 years ago, Google Refine was a standalone desktop lication for data cleanup and transformation to other formats. It was almost 2 years old.

2011 - 2012

Sparrow
Killed almost 10 years ago, Sparrow was an email client for OS X and iOS. Google acquired and then killed it. It was over 1 year old.

2008 - 2012

Google Insights for Search
Killed about 10 years ago, Google Insights for Search was a used to provide data about terms people searched in Google and was merged into Google Trends. It was about 4 years old.

1999 - 2012

Postini
Killed about 10 years ago, Postini was an e-mail, Web security, and archiving that filtered e-mail spam and malware (before it was delivered to a client's mail server), e-mail archiving. It was about 13 years old.

2005 - 2012

Google Video
Killed about 10 years ago, Google Video was a free video hosting from Google, similar to YouTube, that allowed video clips to be hosted on Google servers and embedded onto other websites. It was over 7 years old.

2005 - 2012

Meebo
Killed about 10 years ago, Meebo was a browser-based instant messaging lication which supported multiple IM s. It was almost 7 years old.

2009 - 2012

Google Commerce Search
Killed over 10 years ago, Google Commerce Search was an enterprise search that powered online retail stores and e-commerce websites that improved speed and accuracy. It was over 2 years old.

2011 - 2012

Needlebase
Killed over 10 years ago, Needlebase was a point-and-click tool for extracting, sorting and visualizing data from across pages around the web. It was about 1 year old.

2008 - 2012

Knol
Killed over 10 years ago, Knol was a Google project that aimed to include user-written articles on a range of topics. It was almost 4 years old.

2009 - 2012

Google Wave
Killed over 10 years ago, Google Wave was an online communication and collaborative real-time editor tool. It was over 2 years old.

2009 - 2012

Google Flu Vaccine Finder
Killed over 10 years ago, Google Flu Vaccine Finder was a maps mash-up that showed nearby vaccination places across the United States. It was over 2 years old.

2011 - 2012

Google One Pass
Killed over 10 years ago, Google One Pass was an online store developed by Google for media publishers looking to sell subscriptions to their content. It was about 1 year old.

2011 - 2012

Google Related
Killed over 10 years ago, Google Related was introduced to be an experimental navigation assistant launched to help people find useful and interesting information while surfing the web. It was 8 months old.

2005 - 2012

Urchin
Killed over 10 years ago, Urchin was a web statistics analysis program developed by Urchin Software Corporation. It analyzed web server log file content and displayed the traffic information on that website based upon the log data. It was almost 7 years old.

2005 - 2012

Slide
Killed over 10 years ago, Slide was a photo sharing software for social networking s such as MySpace and Facebook. Later Slide began to make lications and became the largest developer of third-party lications for Facebook. It was almost 7 years old.

2008 - 2012

Google Friend Connect
Killed over 10 years ago, Google Friend Connect was a free social networking site from 2008 to 2012. It was almost 4 years old.

2006 - 2012

Jaiku
Killed over 10 years ago, Jaiku was a social networking, micro-blogging and lifestreaming comparable to Twitter. It was almost 6 years old.

2006 - 2012

Google Code Search
Killed over 10 years ago, Google Code Search was a free beta product which allowed users to search for open-source code on the Internet. It was over 5 years old.

2008 - 2012

Google Health
Killed almost 11 years ago, Google Health was a personal health information centralization that provided users a merged health record from multiple sources. It was over 3 years old.

2009 - 2011

Noop Programming Language
Killed almost 11 years ago, Noop was a project by Google engineers Alex Eagle and Christian Gruber aiming to develop a new programming language that attempted to blend the best features of 'old' and 'new' languages and best practices. It was almost 3 years old.

Apture
Killed almost 11 years ago, Apture was a that allowed publishers and bloggers to link and incorporate multimedia into a dynamic layer above their pages. It was over 4 years old.

Google Buzz
Killed almost 11 years ago, Google Buzz was a social networking, microblogging and messaging tool that integrated with Gmail. It was almost 2 years old.

Gears
Killed almost 11 years ago, Gears (aka Google Gears) was utility software that aimed to create more powerful web s by adding offline storage and other additional features to web browsers. It was over 4 years old.

Google Notebook
Killed almost 11 years ago, Google Notebook allowed users to save and organize clips of information while conducting research online. It was over 3 years old.

ZygoteBody
Killed almost 11 years ago, ZygoteBody, formerly Google Body, is a web lication by Zygote Media Group that renders manipulable 3D anatomical models of the human body. It was 10 months old.

2009 - 2011

Google PowerMeter
Killed about 11 years ago, Google PowerMeter was a software project of Google's philanthropic arm that helped consumers track their home electricity usage. It was almost 2 years old.

2009 - 2011

Google Squared
Killed about 11 years ago, Google Squared was an information extraction and relationship extraction product that compiled structured data into a spreadsheet-like format. It was over 2 years old.

2009 - 2011

Google Sidewiki
Killed about 11 years ago, Google Sidewiki was a browser sidebar tool that allowed users to contribute information to any web page. It was almost 2 years old.

2009 - 2011

Aardvark
Killed about 11 years ago, Aardvark was a social search that connected users live with friends or friends-of-friends who were able to answer their questions. It was over 2 years old.

2006 - 2011

Google Pack
Killed about 11 years ago, Google Pack was a collection of software tools offered by Google to download in a single archive. It was announced at the 2006 Consumer Electronics Show, on 6. Google Pack was only available for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. It was over 5 years old.

Google Desktop
Killed about 11 years ago, Google Desktop allowed local searches of a user's emails, computer files, music, photos, chats and Web pages viewed. It was over 3 years old.

2009 - 2011

Google Fast Flip
Killed about 11 years ago, Google Fast Flip was an online news aggregator, something of a high tech microfiche. It was almost 2 years old.

2009 - 2011

Google Dictionary
Killed about 11 years ago, Google Dictionary was a standalone online dictionary . It was over 1 year old.

2002 - 2011

Google Labs
Killed about 11 years ago, Google Labs was a technology playground used by Google to demonstrate and test new projects. It was about 9 years old.

Google Rebang
Killed about 11 years ago, Rebang was a Zeitgeist-like centered on providing to a Chinese audience. It was incorporated into Google Labs as of late 2010, and later discontinued along with its parent project. It was over 4 years old.

2000 - 2011

Google Directory
Killed about 11 years ago, Google Directory was an Internet website directory organized into 14 main categories that allowed users to explore the web. It was over 11 years old.

2009 - 2011

Google Image Swirl
Killed about 11 years ago, Google Image Swirl was an enhancement to the image search tool that came out of Google Labs. It is built on top of image search by grouping images with similar visual and semantic qualities. It was over 1 year old.

2009 - 2011

Google Real-Time Search
Killed over 11 years ago, Google Real-Time Search provided live search results from Twitter, Facebook, and news websites. It was over 1 year old.

2009 - 2011

Google Script Converter
Killed over 11 years ago, Google Script Converter was an online transliteration tool for transliteration (script conversion) between Hindi, Romanagari, and various other scripts. It's ended because Google shut down Google Labs and all associated projects. It was over 1 year old.

2002 - 2011

Google Sets
Killed over 11 years ago, Google Sets generates a list of items when users enter a few examples. For example, entering "Green, Purple, Red" emits the list "Green, Purple, Red, Blue, Black, White, Yellow, Orange, Brown". It was about 9 years old.

1997 - 2011

Google Specialized Search
Killed over 11 years ago, Google Specialized Search allowed users to search across a limited index of the web for specialized topics like Linux, Microsoft, and 'Uncle Sam.' It was over 13 years old.

Google Hotpot
Killed over 11 years ago, Google Hotpot was a local recommendation engine that allowed people to rate restaurants, hotels, etc. and share them with friends. It was 5 months old.

2009 - 2011

Gizmo5
Killed over 11 years ago, Gizmo5 was a VOIP communications network and a proprietary freeware soft phone for that network. It was over 1 year old.

2009 - 2011

Real Estate On Google Maps
Killed over 11 years ago, Real Estate on Google Maps enabled users to find places for sale or rent in an area they were interested in. It was over 1 year old.

fflick
Killed over 11 years ago, fflick was a review, information, and news website that used information from aggregated Tweets to rate movies as positive or negative. It was 6 months old.

2005 - 2010

Google Base
Killed almost 12 years ago, Google Base was a database provided by Google into which any user can add almost any type of content, such as text, images, and structured information. It was about 5 years old.

2007 - 2010

GOOG-411
Killed almost 12 years ago, GOOG-411 (or Google Voice Local Search) was a telephone that provided a speech-recognition-based business directory search. It was over 3 years old.

2008 - 2010

BumpTop
Killed over 12 years ago, BumpTop was a skeuomorphic desktop environment that simulates the normal behavior and physical properties of a real-world desk and enhances it with automatic tools to organize its contents. It was about 2 years old.

2008 - 2010

Google SearchWiki
Killed over 12 years ago, SearchWiki was a Google Search feature which allowed logged-in users to annotate and re-order search results. It was over 1 year old.

2006 - 2010

YouTube Streams
Killed over 12 years ago, YouTube Streams allowed users to watch a YouTube video together while chatting about the video in real-time. It was about 3 years old.

1998 - 2010

Marratech e-meetings
Killed over 12 years ago, Marratech was a Swedish company that made software for e-meetings (e.g., web conferencing, videoconferencing). It was about 11 years old.

2002 - 2009

Google Web APIs
Killed almost 13 years ago, The Google Web APIs were a free SOAP for doing Google searches so that developers could use the results in almost any way they wanted. It was over 7 years old.

2005 - 2009

Google Ride Finder
Killed almost 13 years ago, Google Ride Finder was a that used GPS data to pinpoint and map the location of taxis, limos, and shuttle vehicles available for hire in 10 U.S. metro areas. It was over 4 years old.

2005 - 2009

Google Toolbar for Firefox
Killed about 13 years ago, Google Toolbar for Firefox It was about 4 years old.

2007 - 2009

Google Radio Automation
Killed about 13 years ago, Google Radio Automation was a and software used by radio operators to automate song playing among other radio station functions. It was over 2 years old.

2008 - 2009

On2 Flix Cloud
Killed about 13 years ago, Flix Cloud was a high-capacity online video encoding . It was 9 months old.

2007 - 2009

Google Mashup Editor
Killed about 13 years ago, Google Mashup Editor was an online web mashup creation with publishing, syntax highlighting, and debugging. It was about 2 years old.

2007 - 2009

Google Shared Stuff
Killed over 13 years ago, Google Shared Stuff was a web page sharing system that allowed users to bookmark pages and share them. It was over 1 year old.

2005 - 2009

Grand Central
Killed over 13 years ago, Grand Central was a Voice over IP that was acquired by Google, and turned into Google Voice. It was about 4 years old.

2003 - 2009

Dodgeball
Killed over 13 years ago, Dodgeball was a location-based social network where users texted their location to the , and it notified them of friends and points of interest nearby. It was over 5 years old.

2008 - 2009

Google Audio Ads
Killed over 13 years ago, Google Audio Ads allowed advertisers to run campaigns on AM/FM radio stations in the US using the AdWords interface. It was 7 months old.

2008 - 2008

Google Lively
Killed almost 14 years ago, Google Lively was a web-based virtual environment that provided a new way to access information. It was 6 months old.

2006 - 2008

SearchMash
Killed almost 14 years ago, SearchMash was an experimental, non-branded search engine that Google used to be able to play around with new search technologies, concepts, and interfaces. It was about 2 years old.

2006 - 2008

Google Page Creator
Killed about 14 years ago, Google Page Creator was a website creation and hosting that allowed users to build basic websites with no HTML knowledge. It was about 2 years old.

2006 - 2008

Send to Phone
Killed about 14 years ago, Google Send to Phone was an add-on to send links and other information from Firefox to their phone by text message. It was almost 2 years old.

2006 - 2008

Google Browser Sync
Killed over 14 years ago, Google Browser Sync was a Firefox extension that synced information like passwords and browsing history. It was about 2 years old.

2002 - 2008

Hello
Killed over 14 years ago, Hello was a by Picasa that let users share pictures "like you're sitting side-by-side." It was almost 6 years old.

2005 - 2008

Google Web Accelerator
Killed over 14 years ago, Google Web Accelerator was a client-side software that increased the load speed of web pages. It was over 2 years old.

2001 - 2007

Zeitgeist
Killed almost 15 years ago, Google Zeitgeist was a weekly, monthly, and yearly snapshot in time of what people were searching for on Google all over the world. It was almost 7 years old.

2004 - 2007

Google Click-to-Call
Killed almost 15 years ago, Google Click-to-Call allowed a user to speak directly over the phone to businesses found in search results. It was almost 4 years old.

2006 - 2007

Google Video Player
Killed about 15 years ago, The Google Video Player plays back files in Google's own Google Video File (.gvi) media format and supported playlists in 'Google Video Pointer' (.gvp) format. It was 12 months old.

2006 - 2007

Google Video Marketplace
Killed about 15 years ago, Google Video Marketplace was a that included a store where videos could be bought and rented. It was over 1 year old.

2002 - 2006

Google Answers
Killed almost 16 years ago, Google Answers was an online knowledge market. It was over 4 years old.

2005 - 2006

Writely
Killed almost 16 years ago, Writely was a Web-based word processor. It was about 1 year old.

2002 - 2006

Google Public Search
Killed about 16 years ago, Google Public Search provided governmental, non-profit and academic organizational search results without ads. It was over 4 years old.

2003 - 2006

Google Deskbar
Killed over 16 years ago, Google Deskbar was a small inset window on the Windows toolbar and allowed users to perform searches without leaving the desktop. It was over 2 years old.

AS SEEN ON
Business Insider
The Next Web
Fast Company
Lifehacker
Fortune
Gizmodo Japan
Ars Technica
BGR: Boy Genius Report

Killed by Google
Killed by Google is the Google graveyard; a free and open source list of discontinued Google s, products, devices, and s. We aim to be a source of factual information about the history surrounding Google's dead projects.

Contributors from around the world help compile, research, and maintain the information about dying and dead Google products. You can join the discussion on GitHub, or follow us on Twitter. A project by Cody Ogden.

Press inquiries and other assorted death threats?
Throw a knife@killedbygoogle.com.

© Cody Ogden. - Analytics
GitHub
Twitter

Last edited:
thanks for that info dump of your specialist subject, the bleeding obvious

but maybe you should kill yourself instead

I used GFN to stream games for a while but then the connection went to shit when they officially went live with the service mainstream. I kinda thought Stadia might have a shot but guess it wasn't profitable enough for them.

Built a PC afterwards.

It died because there's nothing better than a decently fast running computer
with Tribes preloaded

I was drinking coffee with stevia for awhile
because it's supposed to be better than sugar
than i realized f that
nothings better than sugar

Back