Removing tile backsplash

Falhawk

Veteran XX
I'm replacing a really old and ugly backslash that has likely been on there for 30 years. The grout is really tough. That said I started on a wall that had an edge (end of the counter) and was able to clear that wall quickly. However now I'm at a wall that is tiled from cabinet to cabinet and it is a bitch of a time trying to make an opening.

I have a grout removal tool but it doesn't work for shit. I'm considering getting a grout attachment for my multitool but I don't want to cut into the wall. I figure if I can get the grout out from one (these are 2"x2" squares) I can use a nail set and try to crack it.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

You're gonna want to go to Home Depot and spend about $20 on a day laborer.

How old is the house, if it’s just Sheetrock, remove it down to studs and start with new. If you’re gonna stick to tile, use the tile backer board.

If it’s really old, plastered slats, I’m not sure, I’d google a lot, see what’s common

Cut out the wall and replace drywall.

If it's plaster, hammer out the plaster and put drywall over the lath

Dont need tile backer board. You can use tile adhesive and drywall to attach the new backsplash.

How old is the house, if it’s just Sheetrock, remove it down to studs and start with new. If you’re gonna stick to tile, use the tile backer board.

If it’s really old, plastered slats, I’m not sure, I’d google a lot, see what’s common
It is old, like 1974. I'm not sure if the tile is that old but I wouldn't doubt it.

I was thinking doing what you're talking about, but we just go through replacing the old tile floor with a new one. It was 350 sq ft and the mess was tremendous. We only decided to do the backsplash because everything it still out of the room. The walls that I can start from an edge on weren't bad at all, I just need to create an opening that my chisel edged scraper can fit under and then I can just pop them off. The mess wasn't bad and I did it quick.

The hand grout saws suck.

I'm kind of thinking grout bit for multitool and tile bit for my dremel to get it started. I unfortunately don't have a lot of free time to do it.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

If you don't have a giant belly these days, throw on an old pair of jeans, get the shirt off, go to work and get filthy dirty. You might actually get laid.

Back