quick hard drive question

eldee

Veteran XX
looking to purchase 2-3 2TB drives to put in my drive bay I just ordered, what would be the best hard drives I could put in here with the lowest failure rate. Just using this for storage and to stream to my tv through a laptop.

WD drives are less shit than the others. 5 year warranties against the others 1 year. If you're doing raid the WD reds and WD re4's are raid specific. If it's not mission critical you could go with samsung for about 2/3 of the price.

I thought Seagate had the 5 year and everyone else had 3 year? Either way, I've had great experiences with both of them.

If its just storage you can go dirt cheap and get 5400 RPM HDD's. Don't need speed when its just file storage.

Seagate/WD/whatever... Everyone has bad batches now and then, and unless you're talking to a SAN admin, most people don't deal with them enough to get good pictures... and if you ARE talking to a SAN admin, then they're likely bringing a whoooole lot of baggage along that you'll never have to deal with anyway, so it's "grain of salt" territory there, as well.

There. That wasn't that hard a drive question. Your thread title is misleading.

5400 will stay cooler and should last longer with no real performance loss just for storage. i have 2, 2, 3, 3 TB externals i would like to cram all into one package and they are all 5400 and great.

the hard drive quality is all the same.
I have had multiple types of drives and only 1 has died on me.

The only thing you have to double check on before you buy is the 3TB drive.
Make sure your motherboard supports the drive. You may need to get an update for it.

without support the 3tb drive will show up as 2.2tb.

Seagate/WD/whatever... Everyone has bad batches now and then, and unless you're talking to a SAN admin, most people don't deal with them enough to get good pictures... and if you ARE talking to a SAN admin, then they're likely bringing a whoooole lot of baggage along that you'll never have to deal with anyway, so it's "grain of salt" territory there, as well.

There. That wasn't that hard a drive question. Your thread title is misleading.

lol a SAN admin would have as much a clue about consumer drives as any other consumer.

WD drives are less shit than the others. 5 year warranties against the others 1 year. If you're doing raid the WD reds and WD re4's are raid specific. If it's not mission critical you could go with samsung for about 2/3 of the price.

:signed:

why are people suggesting 5400 when he said he wanted a quick hard drive

I thought Seagate had the 5 year and everyone else had 3 year? Either way, I've had great experiences with both of them.

Most of the new seagates I've been seeing have a 1 year. Everytime a deal on one comes up on Bensbargains, someone is in the thread bitching about the warranty

Back