Quakewars. Holy shit im getting excited!

At E3 the systems used to play the Enemy Territory Quake Wars had:

Apparatus: Area-51 7500
Processor: Intel Pentium D Processor 950 w/ Dual Core Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
Power Supply: Alienware 650 Watt ATX 2.0 Power Supply with Active PFC
Chassis: Alienware Full-Tower Case - Space Black
Chassis Upgrades: AlienIce 2.0 Video Cooling
Motherboard: Alienware NVidia nForce4 SLI X16 Motherboard
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 x 1024MB
Video: NVIDIA 7800GTX 512MB
System Drive: High Performance - 160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
Sound Card: Alienware Edition Sound Blaster X-Fi High Definition 7.1 Audio with XRAM Technology
Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet

We were running our E3 build of ET:QW at 1024c768 with 2xMSAA (MultiSampling Anti-Aliasing) locked at 30 FPS. Your mileage may vary.
I R gotz teh leet systemz to plays your rehashed game with 0 innovation or original thought on our part. God I hate the gaming industry.

I R gotz teh leet systemz to plays your rehashed game with 0 innovation or original thought on our part. God I hate the gaming industry.

WTF?

You bitches bitch about people RE INVENTING the wheel, then you bitch at people taking a WORKING formula and making the graphics better.

You never stop BITCHING, BITCHES

My computer has been around for ~4 years and can still play everything (though Oblivion and Supreme Commander run like shit). That's about the lifetime of a console. Buy smarter.

I seen this on another forum....

For gamers dying to check out Quake Wars themselves, the good news is that a limited public beta (maybe 50,000-60,000 people) is scheduled to come to Fileplanet in mid-April.

Enemy Territory : Quake Wars - GDF Tutorial - Google Video

Looks like about 6 different games combined... some of it they arn't even hiding.

Battlefield games: The vehicles
Wolfenstein ET: The classes and level objective design
Tribes: Mapping... jetpacks ect.
Quake: Its in the title? :shrug:
Halo: Space marines and aliens look really really similar not that those two are anything new.
CNC: GDF and the human vehicle design screams it.

^ Recipe for success however so I wont complain. Rip out all the good parts of those games and smash them all together with some shiny graphics FTW!

The Quake part is the alien design. Just look at Quake 2 or 4 - robozombies!

I'm eager for this game because it will let me shoot down BF copter junkies with a motherfucking railgun. The whole Quake vs. Battlefield faction design sounds really interesting.

Tahnit must be the easiest-to-please gamer ever. He's excited about every game.

(Also, I believe he has no life outside of gaming.)

No. Its just that i look at games as what they are, unlike most of tw that says most games suck. You guys are way too picky.

You missed the followup.

Its a whole new architecture model though. Its equivalent to the 3dfx or the hardware T&L days.

Older gen cards had dedicated pixel/whatever shaders. The 8800 has universal shaders that can adapt to do any job a certain scene needs. The 8800 is also much more efficient.

There is a huge leap in technology between 7800-8800.

Its a whole new architecture model though. Its equivalent to the 3dfx or the hardware T&L days.

Older gen cards had dedicated pixel/whatever shaders. The 8800 has universal shaders that can adapt to do any job a certain scene needs. The 8800 is also much more efficient.

There is a huge leap in technology between 7800-8800.

The leap only affects DX 10 games, which currently do not matter. They will start to matter with Crysis, but even then :shrug:

I'm just saying: I'm having higher hopes for ATI.

The leap only affects DX 10 games, which currently do not matter. They will start to matter with Crysis, but even then :shrug:

I'm just saying: I'm having higher hopes for ATI.

Incorrect. 8800's are fantastic dx9 cards. The unified shader leap works with all games. If a game calls for pixel shaders the gpu decides which shaders will become pixel shaders and which will become other things. It has to work this way because in the 8800 gpu architecture there are no SET pixel/geometry/vertex shaders AT ALL. Its all unified.

Which means current dx9 games are seeing the increase.

From what i hear of the ATI card, its fucking humongous. Uses insane amounts of power and is just a tad faster then the 8800 gtx.

Yah the 8800 is big but nowhere near the ATI beast. Also its power consumption is actually quite decent.

Nvidia FTW again.

Edit: read this for a better explanation of the 8800. Rage3D.com : GeForce 8-Series Review [ Introduction ]

Last edited:
Incorrect. 8800's are fantastic dx9 cards. The unified shader leap works with all games. If a game calls for pixel shaders the gpu decides which shaders will become pixel shaders and which will become other things. It has to work this way because in the 8800 gpu architecture there are no SET pixel/geometry/vertex shaders AT ALL. Its all unified.

Which means current dx9 games are seeing the increase.

From what i hear of the ATI card, its fucking humongous. Uses insane amounts of power and is just a tad faster then the 8800 gtx.

Yah the 8800 is big but nowhere near the ATI beast. Also its power consumption is actually quite decent.

Nvidia FTW again.

Again, it's maybe 50% faster than the X1950 in some games. Two X1950s are cheaper than it. That's what I was saying. All that fancy mumbojumbo means nothing except that it's more powerful per watt (which is interesting in its own right, but not what I was talking about). Hellooo.

This game makes my PC cry.

*********************5 star drudge alarm**********

I get stable FPS (and I 50+) running quake wars on my dell xps, with a core 2 duo, 7900gtx go, and 2 GB of ram

if you can run quake 4 at good settings, you'll be ok with this

and yes, this game is fucking awesome and fast paced, its ET with some bf style gameplay (except tanks are fucking gay)

and onto DX10 shit-

I don't think the beta even runs in vista worth a shit, XP all the way
i've heard rumors its been pushed back to 2008

you are very wrong, its incredibly polished right now, and thats having played 9 maps so far

and the icarus does NOT feel like tribes and skiing, I could see how you could implement code, but its no tribes and you aren't going to ski down hills and own everything that moves, if you are buying this for tribes, you are so far from the truth its not even funny

its ET, pure and simple, if you hate ET, you'll hate this

Last edited:
Again, it's maybe 50% faster than the X1950 in some games. Two X1950s are cheaper than it. That's what I was saying. All that fancy mumbojumbo means nothing except that it's more powerful per watt (which is interesting in its own right, but not what I was talking about). Hellooo.

HardOCP compared an 8800GTX to ATI's flagship, I think it's a bit more than 50 percent faster, I think it was closer to just shy of double ATI's flagship

HardOCP compared an 8800GTX to ATI's flagship, I think it's a bit more than 50 percent faster, I think it was closer to just shy of double ATI's flagship

Depends on the game. Anandtech's review (which I linked to) gives it ~50-80% in some games, and ~100% in one or maybe two. More than a hair shy.

You are forgetting the fact that you can run those same games with double resolution and add in AA and 16x ansiotropy with almost NO HIT. Trust me. I have an 8800 and the thing is a fucking monster. Its fucking fast.

Back