Post Capitalism

Shoddy

Veteran X
As programs and robots become more capable, there will be fewer and fewer tasks for which a human is better suited. At some point, it will not be feasible to sell one's labor to make a living as we are used to doing, since there will simply not be enough demand for human labor. So it would seem that we will need some other economic system.

Will the U.S. turn to Communism by 2050 (Y/N)?

we will either destroy ourselves because we choose not to adapt, or the world our grand children live in will be very different

we would have to wait and see how easy technology makes it to move commodity. Ultimately we waste a lot of time grocery shopping, etc. Gassing up our car, picking up supplies

a universal inventory system could take care of all this, we already do way less work to live than people 50 years ago. Seems to me ignorance is an inevitable by product as you have people even now that have no idea whats in their food, and have no real reason to move anyways when MacDonald fattens you up.

Already if a president doesnt basically mail out money for free, he won't get elected

i guess you could automate the system that selects a president, too

Last edited:
Holy...I actually agree with Togo. Right. Can anyone suggest a good Psychotherapist?

I think Neal Stephenson said it best:
"When it gets down to it — talking trade balances here — once we've brain-drained all our technology into other countries, once things have evened out, they're making cars in Bolivia and microwave ovens in Tadzhikistan and selling them here — once our edge in natural resources has been made irrelevant by giant Hong Kong ships and dirigibles that can ship North Dakota all the way to New Zealand for a nickel — once the Invisible Hand has taken away all those historical inequities and smeared them out into a broad global layer of what a Pakistani brickmaker would consider to be prosperity — y'know what? There's only four things we do better than anyone else:
music
movies
software
high-speed pizza delivery"

That shit has already started. Production jobs are going the way of the dodo. What happens next? That question wakes me up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night.

robots are the next step, but to get there you have to clean up the infrastructure, a lot. Industrial robots need a laboratory clean environment in order to recognize car parts by color, outline/shape, and uses other visual guides to install...

one thing we have been talking about at school is (and a lot of engineers seem to be thinking this) a new highway system that uses electrical induction/magnetism to power cars, just like the electric high speed trains developped in Germany and being installed in China. But it would be an advancement on this technique.

Of course people still drive cars, and we need to replace them with computers, so that you can replace your bottle necks and send commodities racing down the road at 500 kph instead of 50.

This would work in north america where there are such huge distances... what you would have it what appears to be roads, but with wire buried inside controlled by computers.

This would put an end to traffic accidents, impaired driving, and almost eliminate drive times, and eliminate a lot of unnecessary driving too. A frictionless road/car system would also eliminate our need for oil, bearings, axles, all of which wear out. We would see that system employed first in the big cities...

at least thats my pipe dream

the area around the road would have to be cleaned and monitored by machines as well, but you can bank your bottom dollar on any technology that eliminates moving parts and people.

in order to properly control a system like that, everyone would have to be intimately tied into it. The system would monitor your habits, your diet, what you like to buy, and shuffle goods around so that your preferences were always near by.

also, the upfront cost for a system like this would be out the window, but it was the same for the first cell phones.

Last edited:
the google will control everything for us and life will be perfect for all of us once we except the google as our master

"A nationalised planned economy, run on democratic lines with the full participation and control of the workers, would enable us to mobilize the full productive potential of society to its fullest extent. The talents of young people now being wasted by unemployment would be put to use for the satisfaction of human needs: a crash building programme for new houses, hospitals and schools would immediately be set in motion."

you have to watch that a program like that doesn't become permanent and the sole employer.

Eventually, you run out of houses and buildings to build...

Two tier.

Robots and their owners in enclaves.

The disenfranchised in a semi rural setting.

Two tier.

Robots and their owners in enclaves.

The disenfranchised in a semi rural setting.

Unfortunately this is where I see society heading. Metaphorically anyway, big walled centers of opulence surrounded by masses of extreme poverty.

As programs and robots become more capable, there will be fewer and fewer tasks for which a human is better suited. At some point, it will not be feasible to sell one's labor to make a living as we are used to doing, since there will simply not be enough demand for human labor. So it would seem that we will need some other economic system.

Will the U.S. turn to Communism by 2050 (Y/N)?

r u stupid

ok serious answer since I got it on page one. this is why principles of macro needs to be a required course in college. your post displays a lack of understanding of how prices work. the myth that capital, by increasing the productivity of labor, will depress wage prices, is false. people had this same idea when the industrial revolution happened, when modern computers were invented. fuck they probably flipped out when they first got a horse to pull a plow.

real wages will continue to rise as productivity rises. there will always be a role for humans to supervise the machines or perform service tasks. the level of production that you are talking where the basic wage-price system fails is at least 100-200 years away and will probably never happen.

Back