• Yes

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 140 85.4%

• Total voters

sheeptaur

Veteran X
So quick story.

I'm watching my neighbor's dog for 13 days while he is away in Poland visiting family. We live in a 10 unit apartment complex so we're all pretty tight as friends. We're doing this little deed for no cost. He rolls out and we start taking care of his dog.

last night, I walked his dog and brought her back and was playing for about 5 minutes. Girlfriend calls me, she needs to run into the city to drop something off to a friend. We both don't have our cars in Philly right now (we ride our bikes to work...my car is 20 miles away and her's is 15...) so I was like: Great idea, let me borrow his car since his keys are next to the note - with a bottle of wine - that says "thank you, make yourself at home" so we can quickly drop off the stuff and return quickly.

We jump into his car, manual 5 speed 328xi, and drive 2 miles into the city, drop off the stuff, and drive home. I'm a mile to home and the clutch stops working. Press down nothing. Can't go into any gears. I'm like welp, this sucks: so I stop the car / turn it off / call AAA to get it towed.

He doesn't have registration OR insurance in his car. They can't tow it to the dealership but he was nice enough to tow it back to our gated parking lot and it's in his spot. All fluids are ok and nothing is leaking. So I think his clutch is dead, he has about 116,000 miles on it.

Mind you, I've only ever owned / driven a manual car for 10 years so I kind of know what I'm doing. I didn't want to try anything crazy since it wasn't mine.

I e-mail my buddy, tell him whats up and he starts GOING CRAZY. WHAT THE FUCK YOU NEED TO FIX THIS NOW. I was like woah woah dude. First, your registration isn't in the car so I can't do anything. Secondly, I understand your frustration but we didn't get into an accident. clutch didn't work so I pulled over, turned car off. City driving.

SO:

Should I pay for the work or not? I assume it needs a new clutch which will be a nice bill >2k. I put 2.5 miles on the car and the clutch went. as my friend said:

"it's about time for that consumable to have been consumed"

edit: if it's the slave / master cylinder I'll just pay for it.

I'm not paying for a new clutch that he drove 116,000 miles and i drove 2. whats your take nerds.

cliffs:
borrowed friend's BMW 328xi while he is away, we're walking his dog for 2 weeks
clutch failed
towed car home - no registration in car so can't tow it to dealership -
friend is angry. friend wants me to pay.

Last edited:
"Friend" probably knew the clutch was dodgy so he let someone else "break" it so he can get a new one for free.

Cut off all diplomatic relations and kill his dog.

If yall are friends, yall should come to an arrangement of splitting the cost.

Sounds like he didn't give you permission to take his vehicle in the first place. It also sounds like he needed to get this fixed anyway.

So nut up, be a man, say, "Sorry man, I took your car with out your permission, something on it broke. However it would have broken had you driven those extra 2 miles. So here is what I propose, we split the cost. And all trespasses are forgotten."

you shouldn't have to pay

but i guess he's probably mad because the dog sitter used his car and now it's fucked

If yall are friends, yall should come to an arrangement of splitting the cost.

Sounds like he didn't give you permission to take his vehicle in the first place. It also sounds like he needed to get this fixed anyway.

So nut up, be a man, say, "Sorry man, I took your car with out your permission, something on it broke. However it would have broken had you driven those extra 2 miles. So here is what I propose, we split the cost. And all trespasses are forgotten."

I agree. What i'm saying is that if it did break, and the bill is 2,000. Tell him, look, we'll split it. you owe us 1000$ for walking the dog and well split the clutch. He's already up 1000 for having us walk the dog for free.

if you are actually friends with the guy he wouldnt even ask you to pay for it assuming your story is legit

i would find additional ways to prove that you didnt break it, maybe get it towed to a shop and have them look into it for proof

it's a component that wears out, damage is cumulative, he should pay for his own damn maintenance

do the math

you are clearly responsible for 2+ miles of clutch wear and tear

$2000 / 116k miles = 1.7 cents per mile

so you owe him ~3.4 cents

i'm sure he will be happy with this solution

Agree with the earlier posts. Come to an agreement or just ditch him. You might need to pay some nominal amount or something though.

do the math

you are clearly responsible for 2+ miles of clutch wear and tear

$2000 / 116k miles = 1.7 cents per mile

so you owe him ~3.4 cents

i'm sure he will be happy with this solution

that would be the equation i would use as well

then subtract that to his bill for watching the dog

anyways the usual end result with stories like this is either

reasonable people: he fixes the car and your friendship continues

unreasonable people: your friendship is over, he sues you for the clutch damage and is subsequently laughed out of court and forced to pay your related fees. apartment complex hallway awkwardness ensues.

Did he say you could borrow his car?

If not I would find some way to split it fairly evenly. ( 200 from you seems fair)

If he said use the car if you need it I would more inclined to call it a wash with the 13 days of kennel fees you helped him avoid. Shits expensive.

ffs

GET PROOF IT WAS NORMAL WEAR ON THE CLUTCH AND NOT YOU

then offer to pay to tow the car to the dealership/shop for him and thats it

please tell me what magical fantasy land pays $1000 for two weeks of dog walking

Dog Walking Rates and Dog Walking Prices

average rate in a medium sized city is 15-20$ per half hour. We walk her 3 times a day. Our walker was 20$ a half hour. So...

3 * 20 * 13 = 780$ (not including weekend rates). It's typically 5$ additional per walk on weekends. So..because i'm bored

840$. 13 days of walking. Plus, we're watering his plants and actually hanging out with his dog. I'd say that's spot on.

Back