Please critique my crappy song

Felonius

Veteran XV
------ EXCUSE SECTION BEGINS HERE ------

I just started on this track a few days ago. It's my first attempt at a progressive rock tune.

------ EXCUSE SECTION ENDS HERE ------

I hope to add vocals in the near future.

LISTEN TO MY CRAPPY SONG: Somber

:wave:

imager.php

I like the tone you use at 1:30 a lot better and think it should just be that way all the way through.

The instrumentation sounds a bit cheesy (8-bit nintendo-ish) but it doesn't sound like a badly composed song.

Kind of A Perfect Circle-esque.

Also, that weird jump up at 1:16 is... weird.

I like the tone you use at 1:30 a lot better and think it should just be that way all the way through.

The instrumentation sounds a bit cheesy (8-bit nintendo-ish) but it doesn't sound like a badly composed song.

Kind of A Perfect Circle-esque.

Thanks for checking it out. At 1:30 is live guitar, whereas the rest of the lead parts are done with a poorly configured synth. I'm new to synths in general, and there's a lot I can do to improve the sound of the sampled instruments.

I'm going to replace all of the guitars with real ones (the acoustic guitar, electric rhythm guitar, and solo guitar)... I'll probably still have some keys and piano in there but more in a background role.

It reminds me of when people used to put music on their webpage back in the day. Also, this one Mega Man game that my cousin used to play all the time. I could definitely fall asleep to this though.

ill only comment on the song from a production standpoint.

my first critique is cut low bass frequencies from instruments/drums/anything that don't use those frequencies -- cut the bass freq's even if you can't hear them.. because the speaker will still try to play them. cut them until it affects the quality of the sound, then edge it back down some.

my second is, get a good drum sample pack and plugin like EzDrummer, or a great one like SuperiorDrummer 2. They come pre-eq'd/comped and sound great, and have good stereo imaging. They can be dropped right into a mix and not really need any mixing.

or just pm me sometime if u want feedback, etc

reference; i do this shit as a side-income

Last edited:
Thanks again for the feedback... It's less Nintendo-sounding now (I got rid of the synth), but once I put in the live guitars that should be much less of a problem.

Prop, I will have to work on EQing the individual parts. I applied an EQ to the final mix in the latest version, but that's kind of the lazy way of doing it. I'll definitely PM you sometime -- the info is much appreciated.

pls don't try to preempt bad things ppl will say when you ask for ppl to say things about your things

just step correct

wanna hit me with a midi output for your drums cause i know how to do those (example)? or you can pick my brain in pm for advice from a fellow amateur if you like the way that sounds... i could use prop style critique too though

Last edited:
wanna hit me with a midi output for your drums cause i know how to do those (example)? or you can pick my brain in pm for advice from a fellow amateur if you like the way that sounds... i could use prop style critique too though

Very nice man. The drums sound awesome. I remember hearing some of your earlier covers here on TW, several years ago. I prefer your vocals to Dave Grohl's.

I should probably focus on writing more dynamic drum parts for my tune, with variations throughout and use of velocity and moving the notes off the beat to humanize it a bit. Do you tweak the drum parts by hand a lot in a MIDI editor? Trying to learn all of this at once is a bit overwhelming, but I prefer just to jump right in rather than be too OCD about it.

A tutorial for my DAW will help a lot, too, particularly learning the MIDI editor. I'm accustomed to scoring things in Sibelius rather than tweaking them in a DAW, and it's two completely different worlds. The Sibelius method works well enough for orchestral stuff, but for this style it's probably best to do everything in the DAW other than some basic mockups.

Do you write your drum parts out in Guitar Pro or anything like that first?

Back