Play Dwarf Fortress you faggots. (look at my ugly shit fortress!)

Its been officially awhile now since we have had a dwarf fortress thread according to me and that means that im correct naturally.

Everybody knows what dwarf fortress is... terrible ASCII graphics that you can change into mildly terrible graphic sets... build a super complicated fortress of alcoholics in a game that rivals Tribes in its learning curve... profit.

Here is link to the Newb packing containing the latest version and graphics + utilities.
Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.1] Updates

(If you have an older version saved game you can drag it into the saves for the new version and that will allow you to play your old game minus some of the new major creatures like the Night Creatures)

Here is my fortress ive been working on since forever but i started playing again switching to the new version.

the new version fixes alot of stuff in world gen (like megacreatures actually dying in the history now) and adds cool shit like ghosts when guys remain unburied or without a memorial when the body is gone... the come back in the mood they were last in meaning you can have ghosts starting parties or killing / causing violent possession/ scaring the shit out of people.

Also included new Titan like major creatures call Night creatures that are really bogeymen that come as extremely bizarre and gross creations that can steal members of the opposite sex that are either human, dwarf, or Elf.

Nazam1-1.jpg

This is my first floor (note that this is the entire square in one screen)

Nazam2-1.jpg

This is my chamber that leads to my first two execution rooms (One has a captive dragon in it and the other is a firing range for crossbows)

nazam3-1.jpg

Dragon pit (note said dragon and not many corpses because i just captured the fucker)

Nazam4-1.jpg

Firing range (great for making crossbowmen)

Nazam5-1.jpg

Barracks and hospital (note beds and blue hero dwarves... not all shown here; in total I have 8 elite legendary dwarves.)

Ive now killed a pair of bronze colossi and a Hydra without suffering a single injury. (having legendary +5 dodgers with +5 fighter and weapons helps)

Nazam6-1.jpg

Book keeping screen showing basic shit (in total ive got 40 soldiers and 198 dwarves with my highest being 204)

Nazam7-1.jpg

This is the chamber that leads to the execution drop pit. 27 levels down from surface (The bars at the bottom is the opening goblins are shoved through to be killed)

Nazam9-1.jpg

26 stories below the drop point is the impact point.

The x marks the point of impact with the bones meaning parts that fly off (about 30 bodies there or so... upon impact parts of bodies can fly up to 16 squares away and 8 Z levels back up the pit into the air)

Nazam8-1.jpg

Watery pond containing goblin parts from pit.

Nazam10-1.jpg

Lowest formal room from surface. (mines continue another 10 levels down from here... this is)

This is 67 levels below surface.

This is the link again for the Newb pack containing everything you need including graphics plus utilities for seeing the fortress better and the therapist for better organizing dwarves into their jobs.

Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.1] Updates

Last edited:
I tried playing this once. Everyone was fantastic until my dwarfs refused to remove items from shops. I had to delete the shops to leave everything sitting there in a little pile before they would move it to the designated location. I thought maybe I had fucked up along the line so I made a new fortress. Same thing happened. Then I gave up.

I wish I could actually enjoy Dwarf Fortress, but I more just enjoy reading other peoples escapades into it.

I should probably read up on the latest versions, but this game is such a time sink for me, I probably won't fire it up because it will swallow me whole like it does every goddamn time.

Did he fix the absolutely brutal megabeasts (stuff like poisonous ichor that ends up infecting your entire fortress and there's nothing you could do about it)?

I know a lot of people like it, but am I the only one here that just cannot get into this game?

I fully support you guys playing games you enjoy. I'm just curious as to whether only ppl that enjoy DF come into DF threads or if everyone but me enjoys it.

I have a few friends try it cause I make it sound fuckin awesome to play, but they just couldn't get into it.

I know a lot of people like it, but am I the only one here that just cannot get into this game?

I fully support you guys playing games you enjoy. I'm just curious as to whether only ppl that enjoy DF come into DF threads or if everyone but me enjoys it.

I enjoy reading the elaborate craziness that people spend hours upon hours playing and is compiled into like, a forum post.

But I can't actually play the game myself really either.

It's kind of like EVE Online, all the drama/etc is actually pretty interesting but the game itself is really not fun to play at all.

Back