[Photography] Show and Tell Spring 2011 Edition

my wife has decided that we need to get a good dSLR to take pictures of our kid. I don't really know much about photography, but I'm kinda interested in learning. since my father has a Nikon D80 I was thinking I'd get a D90 or D7000 so I could borrow his lenses from time to time. people seem to have really good things to say about both of these models. which one should I get? do they have enough automatic modes that my wife, who is sometimes reluctant to learn anything new regarding technology, can kinda point and shoot with it?

Got out to the lake yesterday for some fishing. Decided to try taking a few HDRs. I only brought a crap tripod with a wobbly camera base that my roommate found at work. Ill have to try some more with my gorilla pod. Can't wait to see how graffiti comes out.

5650679890_b8b9ea1ebc_b.jpg

5650677884_9c1d9fa3f5_b.jpg

I think maybe I could've gotten a better shot at a different(lower?) aperture here. I shot it at f 16. I probably over processed a bit too. This was my first time. Any advice is welcome. I have the 2 pictures, 10 total in RAW as well as the 32/16bit hdr.psd of each

Last edited:
Spent easter driving up and down the coast checking out things, this is a metal tree on the coast of a city called Cardwell that bore the brunt of the recent cyclone Yasi. I said metal, and yes, it is bent. I also visited a few other areas but didn't take out the camera out of respect for the home owners, but its scary to see large swathes of land with house stumps and pools near them with nothing else left.

2rohqte.jpg

This is Cardwell, up near the marquee the metal tree above was taken. Note the busted jetty, I couldn't walk on it to take my panorama as I intended unfortunately.

51621876.jpg

This is Hull Heads which was pretty badly damaged. Every house in the picture is either completely destroyed like the one in the center of frame with the excavator on it, or it has structural damage. The thing is, people are sitting on what is left of their balconies drinking beer on ANZAC day, good on em.

51621521.jpg

And finally, this is Townsville, where I spent easter pretty much. I had fun Ice Skating and Bowling, whee.

51622333.jpg

If you want more photos of destruction, follow the link.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=...ll+Heads+Tully+Heads&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Oh, and why? Because this forum lets me post huge pictures.

Last edited:
pak's photos

My favorite of the bunch below, love the sunlight patch on the otherwise shaded water, also nice and sharp image. I wouldn't mind a little more color saturation and a touch of level tweaking though

very very quick edit:

2NXGL.jpg

tX4Z7.jpg

super quick edit^

Got a D7000 a few days ago along with a 35mm and 50-200mm. Here's a couple quick edits while learning Aperture. Both were shot with the 50-200mm.

blossoms.jpg

bridge.jpg

5670964915_be80660eb4_b.jpg

5671532422_06754158cd_b.jpg

So I scored a free HP monitor from work and got a look at the photos I posted earlier through it. they look awful, sorry about that. These seem much better, maybe a little cartoony though. I'm just starting to learn what all the adjustments do in PS

Last edited:
Got out to the lake yesterday for some fishing. Decided to try taking a few HDRs. I only brought a crap tripod with a wobbly camera base that my roommate found at work. Ill have to try some more with my gorilla pod. Can't wait to see how graffiti comes out.

5650679890_b8b9ea1ebc_b.jpg

I like this picture. You need another angle to remove the branch on the right side. I know nothing about photography, but the sky line looks weird. The waterline looks awesome.

[IM G]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5225/5670964915_be80660eb4_b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5306/5671532422_06754158cd_b.jpg[/IMG]

So I scored a free HP monitor from work and got a look at the photos I posted earlier through it. they look awful, sorry about that. These seem much better, maybe a little cartoony though. I'm just starting to learn what all the adjustments do in PS

Gasworks Park nice.

I'm gonna go there again when I get my medium format back from repairs.

Yeah I noticed the weirdness with the skyline on my new monitor. Thanks Jim B. I'm guessing I could use the dodge tool on it, but there may be an easier way I dunno. Didn't even notice that branch till now either.

Gasworks Park nice.

I'm gonna go there again when I get my medium format back from repairs.

I wanted to get more shots in this morning but it started raining on me right after I took the first pic I posted. I hadn't been there before today. I kept seeing it going to and from work on the aurora bridge and figured it would be a cool place to shoot.

Last edited:
I wanted to get more shots in this morning but it started raining on me right after I took the first pic I posted. I hadn't been there before today. I kept seeing it going to and from work on the aurora bridge and figured it would be a cool place to shoot.

It would be so much cooler if there weren't so many smelly hobos hanging around there.

Back