PC gaming nerds enter here

Yeah. This is where I'm at. My current PC is 5 years old and has a 1080Ti and runs everything just fine, but with nothing to do during this Covid crap I've really had the itch to build a new one. Just can't see the point if I can't go "all in" with top of the line components. But no 3080/3090's to be found anywhere and it doesn't look like that is going to change any time soon. Oh, well...
I missed this post.

Does your 5 year old 1080ti pc really run everything fine? What's everything? And what's fine?

My only real tossup now is price bracket versus how much I'll actually use this pc. Right now I've already jumped into shopping the 3080 arena without really considering what the additional performance means over a slightly older 2080 system. Yours is even older.

You dont need a 3080 for the games you listed. fo sho.

This is true but if you get a 3080 now your computer will be good for another 5 years at least instead of having to upgrade within 2 years for the newer game that you want to play

Even Cyberpunk is meh at best.

It just depends on your finances imo.

the 2080 wouldnt need to be upgraded in the next 2 years imo

I don't care about cyberpunk. Listed games, plus rdr2, Gta5, and obviously the next gta game too....

Here's another question... What's the useful life of, say, a 9700k? Like if I buy that with a 20 series card now, can i stuff a high end 30 series in there in like 2 years time and not skip a beat?

gpu and memory are almost always the bottlenecks, I think you'd be fine

just make sure the psu is beefy enough, probably 700w at least

Real talk, these slightly used computers seem cheaper than the sum of their parts. Also everyone is talking about gpu shortages and all this shit, would i even be able to get all the parts?

Maybe I'll shop the parts tonight when the kids go to sleep...

gpu shortages are only an issue if you're in the higher echelons of video cards and really its not that big of an issue any longer

Well it only took 4 minutes to remember why I didn't wanna build it myself.

OCD'ing over every fucking component before I even buy anything is gonna take me all night.

Cool thanks. Now that Im seeing parts costs (and availability locally) I'm even more inclined to buy one already built. Its cheaper and faster.

Covid. And Im in Canada. Shipping stuff across the border must be a nightmare, and fuck exchanging for USD too. Meh.

Back