PC gaming nerds enter here

amRam

Contributor
Veteran XX
I'm cruising the classified for a PC to game on. I'm not building one myself. I'm also not buying one from a box store or builder. Are these worth a damn?

Random finds:

PC1
- Processor CPU: Intel i7-9700k
- Graphics Card GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 ZOTAC GAMING AMP Extreme
- MotherBoard MoBo: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming
- Memory: G.SKILL 24GB RAM
- Storage: 512GB SSD
- Power Supply PSU: 750W EVGA
- Case: Phanteks Evolv X RGB
- Windows 10 Home

PC2
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO Video Card
Mobo: ASUS Prime Z390-A LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series, H60
Storage: XPG 512GB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 Plus Gold PSU

everything there is excellent. PC2 has more storage, but you can always add that yourself to pc1. Also, since you express no interest in building one yourself, I would shy away from water cooling which is what PC2 has (corsair hydro). In case something goes wrong, who is fixing it? Yep, thats you. PC1 didn't list any special cooling, so air cooling it is, and it is simpler.

I will say that the 2080 cards are theoretically a bad value proposition while still being excellent cards--but newer cards keep getting gouged so it's really up to you if you wanna wait

Have no real frame of reference for what is good or fair/expected in classifieds though

everything there is excellent. PC2 has more storage, but you can always add that yourself to pc1. Also, since you express no interest in building one yourself, I would shy away from water cooling which is what PC2 has (corsair hydro). In case something goes wrong, who is fixing it? Yep, thats you. PC1 didn't list any special cooling, so air cooling it is, and it is simpler.

:lol: there is nothing high maintenance with that Hydro.

it depends on the price.....
PC2 is CA$1600, so about $1250 US tho I'm not sure how hardware prices differ between Canada and US, nor do I care about pinching every penny.

PC1 is CA$1850, about US$1450

Keep in mind these are classifieds, and I can probably knock another 10% off ez.

To clarify, I'm not building it because I don't feel like it not because lack of knowledge

If shit breaks i fix it, no problem.

Is the 2080ti the best card in the 20 series?

The only thing you have after the 2080ti is the Titan RTX but Titan has a very steep price point over the ti for a marginal benefit.

GeForce 20 series - Wikipedia

I always recommend to go ti. They are so solid and excellent peformance wise.

When I built my PC 5 years ago, I went 980 first and could already see the limits of it. I was lucky and sold it back with loss of 100$ only on initial price and went ti for an extra 100$ (so 200$ more to upgrade to ti).

I haven't had a single regret and my 980ti is still going strong@3440x1440 even after all those years.

edit: That 24gb of RAM on PC1 is overkill. PC2 really offers a better deal. MSI>Zotac. Better PS, better mobo. More storage. A much better build imo.

Last edited:
PC2 all the way. Zotac does not a have a good reputation. They are essentially the 'bottom shelf' as far as the quality and 2 things never to skimp on are mobo and power supply.

3080 or bust.

Yeah. This is where I'm at. My current PC is 5 years old and has a 1080Ti and runs everything just fine, but with nothing to do during this Covid crap I've really had the itch to build a new one. Just can't see the point if I can't go "all in" with top of the line components. But no 3080/3090's to be found anywhere and it doesn't look like that is going to change any time soon. Oh, well...

Back