paul giamatti is the best actor in america

I forgot about Day Lewis, and his performance in There Will Be Blood is better than anything of Crowe's. But Crowe's catalog is greater than Day Lewis'. If Day Lewis didn't make a film every 5 years, taking time off to be a cobbler.. he'd probably be hands down the greatest actor living.

Christian Bale is British. Other than that, I agree

i am glad someone said this.. i was about to stab myself in the face with my fork with the stupidity people were showing.

russell crowe is also not american, nor is anothny hopkins.

if he was more productive i would say ddlewis. but other than that i would have to go with Robert De Niro in his hay day. Right now, as in last decade, someone like Johnny Depp really is up there... with denzel.

i am glad someone said this.. i was about to stab myself in the face with my fork with the stupidity people were showing.

russell crowe is also not american, nor is anothny hopkins.

if he was more productive i would say ddlewis. but other than that i would have to go with Robert De Niro in his hay day. Right now, as in last decade, someone like Johnny Depp really is up there.

You can stab yourself in the face for saying Daniel Day Lewis too, who is English born and an Irish citizen.

Never understood the clamour for De Niro, people seem to confuse strong characters in films with great acting. I've always felt De Niro's range was pretty limited.

For me, the best current American actor is Philip Seymour Hoffman, and from the ageing crowd (although he's not really done anything special for quite some time) I rate Dustin Hoffman, despite his method acting.

Last edited:
I'm not saying he's the among the best or anything, but Shia LaBeouf was pretty good in Disturbia.

He was an overzealous faggot in Transformers, but that was part of the character, I guess.

yesterday my brother was walking around in NYC and ran into Paul Giamatti freaking out on a cab driver who bumped into his car

apparently he yelled at the guy for like 10 minutes

One of the best actors in America today is returning to film soon. Daniel Day Lewis. He is strange and goes on sabaticals to work as a tradesman, but he has a nomination or award to show for almost every acting credit on his resume.

Plus, he was rad in Gangs of New York opposite a better younger actor than Christian Bale (Although I like Bale in almost everything he has done).

couldn't agree more

washington does the same roll every time. Same acting style etc
He won 2/3 of his oscars for movies in which he is nothing like Training Day or Gangster.

And even so, if you think his character in Training Day is the exact same as American Gangster, you're on crack.

He certainly has people using that "badass" style of acting for blockbusters but every movie he's in he does well, regardless of the quality of the movie.

I think "Glory" was a terrible movie, but he was excellent, and he was not Ray Lucas at all.

The reason people think he's not versatile is because of all the stupid kids running around saying "OMG HE'S SO BADASS IN TRAINING DAY HE SAYS KING KONG AINT GOT SHIT ON ME LOLOL" so those are the only performances anyone will fucking acknowledge...it's pretty stupid, though he is brilliant playing that character...but it's not the only character he plays.

And in the end I agree that he's not the MOST versatile actor in the world but to suggest that he plays 1 character is absurd...he's simply my favorite actor, that doesn't mean I think he's the best actor in the world.

I think Crowe is a better actor in terms of character, Denzel just brings more emotion than anyone right now.

Last edited:
Johnny depp, Tom Hanks, John Travolta, John Malcovich just cuz he is bad ass, and I am gay for Keanu Reeves.

Not necessarily in that order.

denzel has the same mannerisms and tone of voice in every roles he play. so even when he does a completely different character, you see him pretending to be a different role, instead of disappearing into the role
i agree with de niro being overrated and doesnt have a lot of range.
i agree with bale,spacey being up top.

denzel has the same mannerisms and tone of voice in every roles he play. so even when he does a completely different character, you see him pretending to be a different role, instead of disappearing into the role
i agree with de niro being overrated and doesnt have a lot of range.
i agree with bale,spacey being up top.

Disagree - we must all look alike to you ;)
Denzel - Courage Under Fire - Training Day...same guy?
De Niro - Meet the Fockers - he play tough guy and retarded dad - muy grande range

Michael Caine, James Cagney, Edward G Robinson, Sean Connery, Tom Hanks, Kevin Spacey, Gary Sinese, there are many good actors around.

Back