Overclocking the refresh rate of LCD/LED monitors

Master_01

Veteran XV
Did you guys know that its harmless to test and overclock the refresh rate of your lcd monitor?
People have reported getting their 60hz monitors up to 75hz.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN 6 GB Review | techPowerUp
NVIDIA tells us that overclocking the monitor is perfectly safe. You will just get visual errors or a black screen if the monitor can't handle the setting, and I tend to agree.

You may be able to achieve higher refresh rates by lowering the monitor resolution.
I tried this on my 120hz monitor for shits and found out its capable of 130hz.

Here is another article that has the link to the program on it which I will also link afterwards.

Week In Tech: Overclock Your Monitor With NVIDIA | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Program: http://3dvision-blog.com/wp-content/files/evgapixelclockoc.exe

Go try it out and report back your findings!

do you guys not understand that if you increase your 60hz monitor to 70-75hz, you will get smoother gameplay?

not pointless.

FPS is tied to refresh rates. If you're getting 70 FPS on a 60Hz monitor you don't see the extra 10 FPS (from what I understand anyway).

So I could see the use for it for those with PCs that get FPS that high. :shrug:

FPS is tied to refresh rates. If you're getting 70 FPS on a 60Hz monitor you don't see the extra 10 FPS (from what I understand anyway).

So I could see the use for it for those with PCs that get FPS that high. :shrug:

some people drop graphics quality for extra performance on first person shooters for that extra edge.

60fps on a 120hz monitor is pretty laggy, i cant tell a difference anything over like 100fps though

Human eye can't detect the difference after 60fps.

derp

Have you ever tried a 120hz monitor?
Do you know how the human eye actually works?
Do you know what it means to detect a difference in frame speed?

I don't think you can actually answer any of those questions without first googling.

Lols @ people thinking anything above 60hz doesn't matter. I can't imagine going back to a 60hz for gaming... ew.

My monitor wont allow me to go over 60hz even to 61. It just says "Out of Range" so no go for me. I play FPS quite often and do quite well with my 60hz monitor though. It's a 1920x1200 Asus that I just got actually. I considered going to a 1080 120hz but I like the larger resolution personally.

My monitor wont allow me to go over 60hz even to 61. It just says "Out of Range" so no go for me. I play FPS quite often and do quite well with my 60hz monitor though. It's a 1920x1200 Asus that I just got actually. I considered going to a 1080 120hz but I like the larger resolution personally.

When I used this program, i increased one increment and my mouse was doing wierd shit. So i increased by 8-10 points and it worked out better for some reason. Now it works at any increment no greater than 130. weird.

With my experience on the 120hz though, I must say that having such fluid gameplay. I am able to acquire and aim at targets much quicker than with a 60hz monitor. Also playing some other games in 3D is very interesting. Not to mention getting 3d torrent movies to work on the nvidia 3d player.

One thing I think about with higher resolution monitors is that I may be able to acquire targets further away on battlefield and make easier headshots since the detail of the distant character is much better quality.

Gamers would have a much greater advantage with using a higher resolution and hz monitor. 1440p with even 100hz would be pretty awesome.

EDIT: may i suggest to you and everyone else who cant achieve higher refresh rate on their monitors, as an experiment, Try lowering the resolution first before increasing the refresh rate. If this is the case. It may be the pixel clock limit imposed on your graphics card, monitor, and/or dvi cord.

Last edited:
Back