Open Source Tribes 1 using V12 engine

JoMo said:
$100, but I'm sure you can find it as an ISO warez in a few days :p

Not a good idea. They charge 100 bucks for every person who uses it I think. So if you make something using the warez, and you get caught, and you had 10 people you gave it to, I think they could charge you 1000$ damages...not positive though.

heh.

I think it'd be cool. I'd hate to get involved though, since I tend to get way too involved whenever I work on a mod. :lol:

you'd need

2-3 programmers
2-3 2D artists
2-3 model makers
a dozen or so map makers (not regular tribes map makers, people who are able to make their own buildings, etc.)
a really gung ho project manager who could do the PR to keep staff positions full and organize master servers, webspace, and FTP

as a minimum.

would be a kickass project, and a definite ticket for anyone with some talent who wanted to eventually get a job in the gaming industry.

And the one thing I think they should reconsider is the $100 fee to try the engine. They should make the fee apply only if you distribute your project, that way people can dink around with it with no risk, and once they decide to go ahead with a project, they can drop the few bucks to make it legit.

good point, thax for the info my offer is retracted, but I'll chip in if some else want to take responsibility

That map making stuff might be tough. Wouldn't you have to include your own compiler for map objects? Or could you use the same one that Dynamix distributed?

are we all talking bout the same thing,tribes but not tribes, different maps, but a t1 FEEL, and a T2"eye candy look"?

Somebody get the engine and put up a website.

might be a good idea to have a couple different project going that are separate, but share ideas/code/models/etc. to help things along a bit faster.

first part is the hardest. Once the game becomes playable, people flock to it like rats, but before that, it's tough to get help and push the project forward.

no. I'm saying I think it'd be cool to see this happen, but I don't want to be the one to do it. :)

I understand, I think your a left wing liberal sir, and a threat to all I hold dear........but I also think your quite intelligent, and most of all I think your honest

[16:39] <MAD-ness> btw, what did you mean, it wasn't so clear hearing you in irc
[16:39] <MAD-ness> I mean, what specifically.
[16:39] <daerid|w3rk> Get a project together that would take the V12 engine, and re-create the physics of T1. New Maps, new Textures, new Sounds ( for legal reasons )
[16:39] <daerid|w3rk> but the physics, that's what makes gameplay

That's pretty much like it.

CRC.. I'll give you s3x0r if you get in on it. It sounds like you know what you're doing, but alas, I don't.

Back