One flush or two?

Cuthbert said:
you know, two flushes is pretty wasteful. I'm not an environmentalist kinda guy, but I try to only flush once unless absolutely necessary
Yea, the toilet is a pretty amazing invention, not only does it get rid of your shit, but it teleports the water to a completely new dimension never to be seen again. It just disappears, man.

Cuthbert said:
you know, two flushes is pretty wasteful. I'm not an environmentalist kinda guy, but I try to only flush once unless absolutely necessary
I guarantee you that flushing twice wastes as much water as spending 30 extra seconds in the shower.

And like Dipstick said water doesn't magically disappear.

At home I generally flush just once. In public restrooms I generally flush between logs.

On a side note I also find the most secluded/clean spots at my school, which is where 99% of my non-home shits have been. I always place toilet paper on the seat and tend to freeze up if anyone enters the restroom. Im a stealth shitter :shrug:

i don't get what a courtesy flush is... unless it's to get rid of shit streaks...

i always flush once, my turds never seem to clog in any environment

A courtesy flush is to reduce the amount of stink you make when shitting in public by washing away anything in the toilet. It's probably not functional in a large bathroom with good ventilation but it's still a nice practice. Also some toilets don't splash up while flushing so you can remain seated while flushing, but there are always those crappy ones that make you assume the croutched possition.

how does flushing twice make it smell less? once the shit is underwater it's not going to smell anymore. The smell comes in between the time the shit is coming out of your ass and when it enters the water. Courtesy flushes are retarded.

aScotiA said:
how does flushing twice make it smell less? once the shit is underwater it's not going to smell anymore. The smell comes in between the time the shit is coming out of your ass and when it enters the water. Courtesy flushes are retarded.

Smell a toilet 10 mins after dropping the kids off at the pool without flushing, not minty fresh. And what about floaters?

If I know it's going to be a big one, I flush poo first and then go to wipe.

Even using that strat I sometimes have to plunge -_-

floaters will eventually lose their buoyancy and sink to the bottom. I stand by the fact that you can't smell things that are underwater.

DipStick said:
Yea, the toilet is a pretty amazing invention, not only does it get rid of your shit, but it teleports the water to a completely new dimension never to be seen again. It just disappears, man.

I take your point, but:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1983_March_April/Alternatives_to_the_Five_Gallon_Flush
http://www.toiletology.com/conserve.shtml

clearly both biased websites, but still, you get the picture, I'm sure. It wastes the energy that we use to purify the water, not the water itself.

aScotiA said:
floaters will eventually lose their buoyancy and sink to the bottom. I stand by the fact that you can't smell things that are underwater.
:lol: yeah, ok, because a liquid can't give off odors, sure

yes, liquid shit will give off a stench, a solid turd under 8 inches of water will not. even if it does smell A LITTLE bit, what good are you doing by flushing it like 1 minute before you're going to flush it anyway. Don't you risk having the same shitwater splash on your ass if you 'courtesy flush'?

aScotiA said:
yes, liquid shit will give off a stench, a solid turd under 8 inches of water will not

Leave a sinker in the pot for a day with the lid down. Come in the next day and take a biiiig wiff and tell me it just smells like water in there.

SonGohan said:
Leave a sinker in the pot for a day with the lid down. Come in the next day and take a biiiig wiff and tell me it just smells like water in there.
the point is moot, we're talking about courtesy flushes here. I don't know what the result would be from said experiment, and I don't really care to find out. The point is, I think flushing twice makes no sense AND I WILL RABIDLY DEFEND IT UNTIL HELL RAINS DOWN ON EARTH

The problem comes in if you clog it up. You're going to be stuck with plunging smelly poop water and if you're not careful you could get this water all over yourself.

I would much rather plunge clean water that just has a paper clog.

aScotiA said:
yes, liquid shit will give off a stench, a solid turd under 8 inches of water will not. even if it does smell A LITTLE bit, what good are you doing by flushing it like 1 minute before you're going to flush it anyway. Don't you risk having the same shitwater splash on your ass if you 'courtesy flush'?

Yeah, well the whole purpose of a courtesy flush is well... courtesy. It's a nice practice, but it doesn't stop all the stink.

Also not all toilets splash up, for those that do or that you're unsure of you have to get in psuedo-standing position with your knees bent "standing" infront of the toilet while it flushes. When it's doen, plop back down.

high flow toilets
i have NEVER had one clog in my household the whole time weve lived here (18 years?)

i only give a courtesy flush occasionally at school

Back