[Olympics] Explain this to me??

Narscist

Veteran X
How is Federer, and the Williams sisters able to compete in olympics?? I thought it was amature only (not being paid)? Federer lost his tennis, but Williams Sisters won gold.. sorry, but i'm confused?

The rules are bizarre and incomprehensible.

Many track athletes are professional to a degree, since they compete in prize money events and receive sponsorship deals. All the football players are professional allbet it they must be under 23 (apparently).

I'm sure there are quite a few amateur competitors in the Olympics but they either suck or are in sports that generate no cash.

Why would it be amature only? The whole idea is to see who the best in the world is

From what I understand about the Olympics is that they are Amature, never been paid, and trained their entire life to win the gold. To STRIVE to be the best.

the governing bodies (gymnastic federation/water polo union/skeet shooting clan) allow or do not allow professionals to participate in olympic competion.
the ioc doesn't have an 'overlord rule'

From what I understand about the Olympics is that they are Amature, never been paid, and trained their entire life to win the gold. To STRIVE to be the best.
...and if they can't beat someone who gets paid then they don't deserve it.

There's much more drama when the athletes are pro. It's a lot easier for a country to get behind a face they recognize. I'm guessing most of the events that don't allow pros also happen to be events that most people won't actually pay to see, outside of the olympics. No commercial value in watching people run in a circle(at least there are crashes to watch in nascar).

thats the pipe dream the modern olympics were founded under. reality is that the idea of the amateur athlete on the international level hasn't existed for decades in 90% of sports. If somebody is competing at an olympic level, they're probably getting sponsorship money so they can train full time.

i would rather threesome the chinese womens beach volleyball players than the american pair playing for the gold.

explain that!

Back