Oh Canada...

that was the right assessment

i lived in Ottawa for a bit. Winter is a cesspool, summer can be fun. nice city when the weather is right, just not a bustling metropolis.

Very active city, so lots of sports to be played. Walking the market can be fun. Bluesfest if he is there when it is on (July 5th to the 17th).

actually this winter was pretty odd... we never had more than 10-15 cm accumulate... montreal was hit much harder.

but yeah, typically our winter isn't fun.

I guess I enjoy the busy-ness of toronto. Like I said, you can always find something to do even in the middle of the night. If you want somewhere more laid back, there's plenty of suburbs that would fit the bill. I've been in the states for awhile now and I still think toronto has decent people.

yeah every winter i have had in ottawa has been horrendous. otherwise a really nice city.

it still creeps me out when you go downtown at 4pm, and it is deserted. damn government workers. :lol:

yeah the life moves to the market... downtown is a concrete jungle. in the summer the patios are typically full

Ottawa is nicer than Toronto and Montreal is better than both IMO.

Then again I live in Hamilton so I don't think i'm allowed to have an opinion :lol:

I guess I enjoy the busy-ness of toronto. Like I said, you can always find something to do even in the middle of the night. If you want somewhere more laid back, there's plenty of suburbs that would fit the bill. I've been in the states for awhile now and I still think toronto has decent people.

Same here - i need the beat of the city to keep me going

i was in Ottawa last summer, staying at Chateau Frontenac and by 2am the city was dead. I'm so used to the hustle of t.dot that it kinda freaked me out.

Everyone always says Montreal is so awesome but nobody ever says WHY

please fill me in on what's so amazing about this shithole. ive been living here for 6 years now and i can't wait to get the fuck out of here

pros:

lots of festivals, free activities
lots of culture (old montreal, french shit, different neighborhoods)
low crime (not too many niggers)
can buy beer at grocery stores / depanneurs until 11pm
last call is 3am
drinking age is 18
low rent
good strip clubs (this is a myth)

cons:

horrible weather (winter is 6 months long and the rest of the time it rains 5 days a week)
horrible roads
horrible traffic (i can walk to most places faster than drive)
construction industry owned and operated by the mafia
construction pylons / closed roads EVERYWHERE but nothing ever seems to get done
outrageous taxes
horrible job market
horrible political landscape (french vs english is the #1 topic of discussion at all times)
blatant and open discrimination against anglophones (especially from police)
corrupt government that openly steals tax money and nobody cares
horrible metro / transportation system

fuck this city. nice place to visit, horrible place to live.

im moving to calgary. yeah its boring there but at least i can make some money. id go back to TO but theres infinite niggers there and i cant handle it.

Yeah but realistik; aren't you a shut-in antisocial nerd? I wouldn't expect someone like you to like Montreal... Maybe the Yukon is more your thing.

I moved to Toronto after school for work. I don't really go downtown much and live in the suburbs but I have only come across a few of the Toronto snobs that are talked about here.

For example, this one girl at work thinks she is cool shit. She talks about all the fancy places she goes to downtown, and how she can't wait to have a condo. Talks up how having a big place to clean is stupid and who needs a backyard when you have a concrete jungle.

She's now engaged and talking about how she wants to buy a house in the suburbs and get away from the busy downtown core because it is 'No place to raise a child'.

I laughed when I heard this. I think her heard will explode when she isn't sure which position to talk up anymore.

Hasn't happened yet, BUT, Canada's most coveted sport (hockey) finals could be represented by a team way out west (San Jose) and a team from Florida (Tampa Bay).

Go San Jose.... Ehhhhh?

Back