[Official] Curiosity, or the Mars Science Lab Landing August 5/6

I think we all need a little more Neil de Grasse Tyson in our lives.
Neil-head-on-Bill-shoulder.jpg

The exciting results are coming from an instrument in the rover called SAM. "We're getting data from SAM as we sit here and speak, and the data looks really interesting," John Grotzinger, the principal investigator for the rover mission, says during my visit last week to his office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. That's where data from SAM first arrive on Earth. "The science team is busily chewing away on it as it comes down," says Grotzinger.

SAM is a kind of miniature chemistry lab. Put a sample of Martian soil or rock or even air inside SAM, and it will tell you what the sample is made of.

Grotzinger says they recently put a soil sample in SAM, and the analysis shows something earthshaking. "This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," he says.

evidence of old life probably

There is life on Mars. I'm not talking about the Human life that is there. I am talking about the salamander looking lizards that are there.

Curiosity killed the cat...

So they would rather build up a super secret mystery than to just tell us what they have so far because they do not want to let us down? Yeah, that makes sense

they have to confirm so that they can say "here it is" without later saying "nevermind"

a festivus for the rest of us

So they would rather build up a super secret mystery than to just tell us what they have so far because they do not want to let us down? Yeah, that makes sense

They don't want people freaking out and then them discovering that someone just sneezed on the rover before we sent it out.

They are going to make absolutely sure that whatever they say is accurate.

I forgot all about this. Where are my aliens man

Right here.

This is an image of the lizard/salamander critters that are on Mars. They are pretty interesting. I wanted to bring one back with me, but I was told no. :shrug:

1exauh.jpg

EDIT: I was really pissy about not being allowed to bring one back with me. If you follow me on my FB then you may have seen me bitching about being denied one not long ago.

Last edited:
Back