Notre Dame Burning...

It took 182 years to complete the cathedral originally, in 1163 to 1345A.D.

That was in the middle ages with rope and pulley's, hand tools and wooden cranes. A bunch of dirty monks and peasants managed a marvelous feat of engineering which is why it survives today. Despite being set on fire.

It'll take a few years to restore the structure and repair the damage, but not decades, using modern construction.

800 million USD has already been pledged by donors (in less than k 12 hours) to restore it. Which is interesting... A) where were these donations when they needed to repair and renovate it? B) Where is this money when anything else is in need of charity?

Makes me wonder whether the Notre Dame is a symbol of charity or a monument to vanity.

Either way, never look a gift horse in the mouth. At least there are people who care enough to see it restored, regardless of their motives.

Several structures, likely common homes and businesses of regular Parisians caught fire and burned as collateral damage... anyone chip in to help those people yet?

You can't just throw modern construction into restoring an 800 year old cathedral. The entire point is to restore it faithfully to the original. Yes they can use a crane now. That's like 1% of the work.

It will take decades.

We're not talking about using MDF and Construction Glue to restore the Notre Dame. It's about access to modern technologies like computers and heavy lift equipment to speed up the process.

The stonework is the principle mark of its legacy which survived the fire and remains intact. The iconic spire, which was destroyed by the fire, was only added in the 1860's. The wooden roof covering the vaulted stone ceiling was extensively damaged, but the interior was protected by the vaulted ceiling, which is why the Alter and Cross survive.

The cathedral is a giant stone box which is what makes it remarkable as a feat of engineering. It is covered with wooden auxiliary structures which protect it, add utility and aesthetic qualities to the structure.

Apparently one of the challenges to rebuilding Notre-Dame is that France no longer has any trees big enough to produce the large wooden beams that burned in the fire. The old growth forests that provided the building material from the 1300's are gone today.

So they'll have to create a modern solution anyways. Even the glass isn't original and has had to be replaced several times over its history.

Last edited:
I suppose I don't have any details of the extent of damage so maybe it's arrogant to suggest a repair timeframe this early. Actual labour and workmanship is the pivotal factor IMO, the computer and technology aids are minor. Just my opinion based on the construction experience I have, which certainly hasn't involved cathedral restorations.

all churches in france are now required to keep a yellow vest on the premises

i wonder if flash and his ilk were chanting roll tide thinking university of notre dame's golden dome burnt down

arson was "ruled out" within minutes of the place catching fire

they're obviously being very thorough with their investigation

btw, not 2 change the subject from the undeniable fact that secret kenyan moslem barack hussein obama set the cathedral on fire, but

It takes em 5 years to resurface a road, that thing will take another 100.

Emmanuel "Sweet Saccharine" Macron said:

"even more beautifully"

anybody have a guess for the odds france does some cheapskate trashy shit?

Last edited:
a structure that stood for centuries came crashing down a few short years after you let in a couple million moors

what r the odds

edit: dang ur odds finisher beat mine

a structure that stood for centuries came crashing down a few short years after you let in a couple million moors

what r the odds

edit: dang ur odds finisher beat mine

and during easter week. nah man, it was just an accident, nothing to see here.

The cathedral was in need of restoration and renovation before the fire.

There were crowdfunding campaigns to raise funds to this end. The french government provides 2.4 million euro annually to maintain the Notre Dame, but this isn't sufficient to cover the full cost of what needed to be done.

Burning the spire and roof off the cathedral might be a blessing in disguise. It attracted world attention and revived interest in the structure. Now instead of just getting some repairs and cleaning it up... things will be rebuilt anew. They've already had 800 million pledged to rebuild it in less than 12 hours.

u gotta check out comments on news sites, ppl r suggesting some srsly heinous shit that would belong on a 1960s singlewide

fking corrugated steel roof and spray "stucco" sort of shit

we rly gotta hope they don't do any weirdo styles as some sort of ~step forward for france~

Last edited:
Back