North Korea may strike U.S. forces pre-emptively

JoMo said:
What the fuck is N. Korea's problem? Not getting enough "axis of evil" attention?

----------------------------------------------------

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea may strike U.S. forces pre-emptively rather than wait for an American attack after a war with Iraq, a spokesman for the communist state told Britain's Guardian newspaper in Pyongyang.

"The United States says that after Iraq, we are next," the Guardian Web Site quoted Ri Pyong-gap, a North Korean Foreign Ministry deputy director, as saying Wednesday amid rising tensions over a nuclear crisis on the Korean peninsula.

"But we have our own countermeasures. Pre-emptive attacks are not the exclusive right of the U.S," said Ri, according to the Guardian Web Site. His reported remarks went further than numerous recent dire warnings issued by Pyongyang's state media.

A Guardian correspondent, one of several British journalists admitted to secretive North Korea this month, quoted Ri as saying that the current nuclear stand-off was more dangerous than that a decade ago when Washington and Pyongyang nearly went to war.

"The present situation can be called graver than it was in 1993. It will be touch and go," the daily quoted Ri as saying.

Where did you get this article from? I can't find it online.

-|\/|essengerX- said:
hold on.. F_F_F_ART

and comming from a person that lacks humanity, corrects everyword he types ...you have no humanity.
Yeah, you got me. I'm really just an IRC bot.

Im sorry, but when are these stupid asian and middle eastern countries going to understand that war JUST DOES NOT WORK the way it did in the forties.

Just because Iraq is shedding blood and fighting the "good fight" does not mean we will. (meaning that our technology has advanced so far we can fight most wars "blind")

Korea thinks they can attack us when they cant power their country or feed their people? DO they not understand that a million man standing army means dick when you leave your own soil?

Whatever.

Article

China might be annoyed with NK now, but if NK took over SK it'd be less of a problem for China yes? China could also make some good cash by supplying NK with arms and supplies. All under the table of course, so that they don't jeapordize their seat in the WTO.

Then there's China and Taiwan.

If NK invades, then the US will have to deal with that, do you really think the US could handle Iraq, NK AND China (if they invade Taiwan) all at the same time? Then there's Russia who is having a pretty crappy time right now, they can sell a lot of supplies to all these warring nations at a pretty profit.

Let's just say it may not be just the "region" that gets destabalized.

TIME FOR THE OLD SWITCH-A-ROO

Pretend to invade Iraq then take a hard right asdfoasdjfasl-istan and go smoke N. Korea.

I AM A MILITARY GEEEEEENNNNNIIUUUUUSSSSS!!!

MADness said:
BTW, with the economy down in America now, the military industrial complex could ramp-up like a mother fucker.

Can you imagine America going balls-out in support of a war effort? :(

Holy crap dude. If we went hardcore in support of a war like we did in the 40s we would push out so much hardware...

Its comforting to know that. ;)

UPDATED ARTICLE:
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20030206_1162.html

SEOUL, South Korea Feb. 6 —
Pre-emptive attacks on North Korea's nuclear facilities would trigger a "total war," the communist state warned Thursday after Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld labeled the North's government a "terrorist regime."

The White House said North Korea's talk of war was a "real cause for concern." Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the United States had "robust plans for any contingencies," including military action.

The harsh rhetoric came a day after North Korea said it was putting the operation of its nuclear facilities on a "normal footing," triggering fears it was about to produce weapons materials. South Korea said it had no sign that the North had reactivated its nuclear facilities, but officials said the North's statements were unclear and that they were trying to clear them up.

"When the U.S. makes a surprise attack on our peaceful facilities, it will spark off a total war," the state-run newspaper Rodong Sinmun said in a commentary carried by North Korea's official news agency, KCNA.

Ri Pyong Gap, a spokesman and deputy director at the North's Foreign Ministry, told London's The Guardian newspaper that the impoverished country was entitled to launch a pre-emptive strike against the United States.

"The United States says that after Iraq, we are next," the paper quoted Ri as saying, "but we have our own countermeasures. Pre-emptive attacks are not the exclusive right of the U.S."

In Washington, Fleischer reiterated that President Bush believes the standoff can be resolved peacefully, but he said the United States was preparing military contingencies.

U.S. officials have spoken before about their ability to respond to any potential hostile action by North Korea, in part to dispel any hopes Pyongyang may have about taking advantage of Bush's focus on Iraq. The nuclear standoff with North Korea, which intensified last fall, has complicated Bush's efforts to rally the nation and skeptical world leaders behind his bid to disarm Saddam Hussein.

Rumsfeld said Wednesday that restarting the nuclear program would give the North a troubling option making nuclear weapons for itself or selling them to any other country.

"That is something the world has to take very seriously," he said. "It's a regime that is a terrorist regime. It's a regime that has been involved in things that are harmful to other countries."

North Korea announced in December it would reactivate its nuclear facilities, frozen since 1994, but statements Wednesday left it unclear whether it has already done so.

In an English-language statement, North Korea said Wednesday that it "is now putting the operation of its nuclear facilities for the production of electricity on a normal footing after their restart."

However, a Korean-language statement monitored by South Korea's Yonhap news agency referred only to "our process to restart nuclear facilities for generating electricity and normalize their operation."

Both North Korean statements were carried on KCNA, the North's official news agency.

The North's nuclear facilities include a 5-megawatt nuclear reactor, a storage building for 8,000 spent fuel rods and a plant where those rods could be reprocessed to yield enough plutonium for four or five bombs in a matter of months.

Last week, U.S. officials said spy satellites detected covered trucks apparently taking on cargo near the storage building.

The International Atomic Energy Agency, the Vienna-based U.N. nuclear monitoring agency, said it couldn't confirm any new nuclear activities because its inspectors were expelled in December.

The most immediate step the North could take is likely to be restarting the reactor, which can produce more spent fuel rods, South Korean officials said.

"We are trying various channels to confirm what it means," said an official at the South Korean Foreign Ministry, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "At this moment, we have no information to confirm that North Korea has reactivated its nuclear facilities, that is the reactor and other key facilities."

North Korea said in December that it was reactivating its facilities to generate badly needed electricity. But U.S. officials say the amount of electricity that can be produced in the Yongbyon facilities is negligible.

The North froze its nuclear facilities in a 1994 energy deal with the United States, but the deal unraveled after U.S. officials said in October that North Korea had admitted embarking on a second, clandestine nuclear program.

Washington and its allies suspended oil shipments as punishment. The North then took steps to restart the nuclear facilities, expelled U.N. monitors and withdrew from a global nuclear arms control treaty.

The U.N. nuclear agency's 35-nation board of governors will meet next Wednesday to discuss the standoff and is almost certain to send the dispute to the U.N. Security Council a move that could lead to economic sanctions against Pyongyang.

Hmm, I read mostly English and Chinese news, occasionally I will read Japanese and maybe German news sources. I like to do that because they offer a different perspective.

From what I read, some British intelligence agents reveal Iraq's tie with Al Qaeda may not be very strong. They leaked their finding out because they don't like politicians twisting their report. Iraq did have contact with Al Qaeda. However, Osama isn't on friendly terms with Iraq because he thinks Saddam isn't following Islamic laws as closely as he likes (think of Afghanistan, a country with very strict Islamic laws, that's what Osama likes). Saddam, as a result, doesn't particularly care about Al Qaeda.

Second, China is getting friendlier and friendlier with South Korea. South Korean companies have put down a lot of money for investment in China. Right now, it's a lot more profitable for China to get cozy with South Korea, not North Korea. North Korea has been a basket case economics for a long time. China is spending money to prop up North Korea's regime because they're afraid of massive refugee problems.

Chinese don't exactly love the north koreans. Once I talk to people in China, asking them about north korea. Since I am an overseas Chinese, they took the time to educate me about my "misconception". They don't particularly like north korea's dynastic system. One person even said "come on, what is that, they're still in imperial time? passing leadership from father to son? that's out of style". What China does care though is they cannot allow US to overrun korean peninsula and establish its influence there. It's just like US's Monroe doctrine back when this country was young. We dislike "foreign" influence in the entire America continent. China has a fairly large population that is out of work right now because government industries are laying off people. They do not like another huge influx of refugees from Korea. Why did the USA bail out Mexico about 10 years ago when Mexico might default? It's the same reason, we don't like a big economic problem in Mexico, causing more Mexicans to cross the border. After talking with some Chinese about north korea, I can understand why China did some of the stuff they did with North Korea. I still don't understand 100% because I wasn't brought up there :)

North Korea is a bitter pill for China to swallow right now but that's the hand they're dealt with and they're playing it.

If North Korea launches a pre-emptive strike, it'll cause damage to south korean's economy, which in term will damage China's economy. I went to China's countryside, in the coastal province or one province away from the sea. They are dirt poor, but at least they have a job. Official estimates vary on the size of roaming unemployed. One figure I read was over 20,000,000 roaming unemployed. China is restless in some areas. There are more and more farmer protest because they cannot make a living. In some respect, it is better. About 10 years ago, in one China provine, entire village organized to rob trains going through their neighborhood because it's more profitable to do so. I did not appreciate I live in paradise, living in USA until I went to China. One night, I stayed in a "luxurious hotel" according to the local people I talk to in the morning market, it was one of the worst accomodation I've ever had. The bed has lots of yellow stain on it. Hot water is only available for a few hours and when we turn on the faucet, brown rust water comes out. We decided to forgo shower that day. The carpet was partially soggy and ceiling wasn't a pretty sight. Yet, when I was able to peek inside local's home, I disocvered having bricks as walls is considered a mansion, where normal familes don't even have floor, just the good ol' earth as their floor. Another weird thing, since it's rural, I was awakened in the morning by loud speakers from the civic plaza, telling people to get up and work, etc. It's weird to hear they say "comrade blah blah blah". I thought stuff like that exist in books, I was truly surprised to experience that in 1994.

Anyways, there are advantages to be able to read in other languages. US media often just covers one perspective, sometimes in the angle we like to cover. Unfortunately, that is just like how Asians view us, from movies and shows. When I went to Asia, people thought I smoke, because many people smoke in the movies, etc. I told them California has strong anti-smoking laws. Some of them did not quite believe me.

Travel a bit, try to talk to locals if you can, and try to experience the life not as a tourist if you can. You may get to learn some stuff.

it's sort of good for the US though, instead of getting coverage on their domestic issues, all the media talks about is wars. nice plan Bush.

we had a protest against the war here a few weeks ago, the "slogan" was "Ferme ta Bush!".... Bouche (Bush) means "mouth" in french, and Ferma Ta means Shut Your...

Back