Need suggestions: Pacific NW or Canadian Rockies, 6-7 Day Hiking,Moderate Difficulty

sarbuze

Contributor
Veteran XV
I know a lot of you guys are into hiking and live out west, so I come to you for suggestions of good hikes in Oregon, Washington, or even up in Canada. I'm going with two friends who are novice hikers but both ran track at the University of Michigan and are in great physical condition. I have a lot of miles (and many 3-6 day trips) under my belt and will be leading the hike, but am unfamiliar with anything west of Colorado.

We're looking for something challenging but not involving technical climbs. Ideally something that we can get in 15 miles or so a day (20 if not too much elevation on a given day) and with a good number of streams, near a lake, etc.

We are going the last weekend of August.

Any advice is appreciated. Also, we have room for one more if any of you homos want to tag along you are more than welcome! Should be a fun trip.

In southern Oregon, in the Siskiyous, there is the Kalmiopsis Wilderness Area.

On the east side, Babyfoot Lake.

On the west side, Vulcan Lake.

IMO, it's the greatest place in Oregon.

Trying to find the link, but you can hike from one side to the other, and make a loop back.

I'm guessing it would be about a 6 day hike if you did the whole loop.

I'd been all over Oregon, and had never seen anywhere like the Kalmiopsis.

Sold!

But, do you have any suggestions for specific hikes?

Not in the states, but I've heard the Cape Scott Trail and Westcoast Trail on Vancouver Island are good, but the latter requires reservations that usually sell out quickly in the spring. There are a number of good trails north of Vancouver on the way to Squamish and Whistler but I`ve only been on the shorter ones (day/2-day) and wouldn`t be able to recommend the challenging ones

I'm...errr...Canadian :weird:

it is called the pacific crest trail

and yea you dont have to do the whole thing. Pick out a section and maybe a peak and do that

Here is the hike I was referring to:

The kalmiopsis wilderness

It's a 26 mile loop, and you can definitely extend it at several parts.

This is the most solitude you will find on any hike in Oregon :sunny:

If you want to see people a few times a day, then do a Rainier or Mt. Hood loop, or the Oregon portion of the PCT.

Back