my new gun

AK grips look weak, like they would make you hold it all limp-wristed. The weapon looks better overall with a nice beefy, canted pistol grip.

you know I was going to post something similar data, but I was reminded of my last range trip where I dropped my Russian m91/30 4 feet onto concrete (accidentally) and it didn't go off. Mind you there was a round chambered and the bolt was cocked.

that gun was manufactured by Russian conscripts in 1942, and the design is over a 100yrs old :lol:

Why exactly do people buy automatic weapons? Other than being completely paranoid that about total anarchy, there's no real point. You going to go deer hunting with that automatic?

I never could understand someone who buys automatic weapons. I can only assume it's the fun factor and thrill of the shoot, but $1000 + shooting range costs? Sounds like a fucking expensive toy that you'll get no true/real use out of. Not to mention the cost of ammo, which is endless...

First of all this is not Automatic.

I can make it automatic but thats not to legal. I have the capability and know how to OWN legally fully automatic weapons but whatever.
That said.
I must say are you paranoid of me having a weapon to protect myself.

I bought this weapon because its rugged easy to maintain and bullet costs are LOW. The lowest i can thing of is 22LR. I have survival in mind so 22LR is the way to go for small game and even personal defense.
I do not use a shooting range..i go somewhere and shoot for free.

As for being 'being completely paranoid that about total anarchy'

Am i paranoid? no i am not looking around my shoulder am i concerned about breakdown of law. yes. i am.
When a bunch of ___insertwhateverhere___ breaks in your basement door because they are trying to do a home invasion and rob you kill you rape your wife in front of you, are you being paranoid? This is the real world and in the real world people die. and in the real world it is my duty to make the other guy die. Slowly if possible cause i have a cold cold fucking heart. now my pretty angel if someone was trying to kill you or your family and you were my next door neighbor i would be right there pumping hot round after round in to their asses fucking their shit up as they are trying to hurt you. because thats who the fuck i am......

so with all your selfism chew on that.

That's a Hollywood myth, for the most part.

Good job buying into the same irrational fear we've been talking about.

How is it irrational fear?

I've been shooting guns almost my whole life, I'm still not going to load a round into the chamber and drop a gun on the floor.

Go read about drop safeties. This isn't the 1930s anymore.

Second sentence of the article says the safeties are designed to reduce the chance, doesnt say the chance is completely eliminated.

I just put the rest of my AR together earlier this evening. I went to the range to sight it in and get it broken in. :boogie:

First shot was awesome, second shot was awesome..third shot "click". Hmm..racked it (no round ejected), pulled again, fired perfect. Pulled the trigger again, "click". Racked it again (no round ejected), pulled again and fired. Pulled again AND "CLICK" sdflkjadshflkjdshsjkdflahksd

At this point I was like wtfs m8. I was starting to regret having put this together myself instead of just buying one. I didn't want to have to trouble shoot this gun because I, admittedly, am not gun-smith-smart when it comes to the inner workings. Luckily, I was shooting with a buddy thats a gun nut. He saw me firing it and immediately told me its the buffer.

We swapped buffers  oh yeaaa :brows:  and he put his heavier bugger in my rifle. He then fired off 8 rapid fire rounds with my rifle. So the crisis was averted but now I have to go back AGAIN and spend $30 MORE to get an H buffer.

My question for you AR snobs is: If I get an H buffer do I have to get another buffer spring to match? What if I got an H2 buffer--would that be even more 'problem free'?

AR-15 Recoil Spring Buffers - TheHighRoad.US

I think this thread may answer your question. I'm leaning towards "Yes" on the spring upgrade, and "conditional yes" to the H2 buffer if your upper is one of the commercial ones listed with an oversized gas port

Spring upgrade?

LMT upper, DPMS BCG, and the Magpul MOE buffer tube stuff that came with their kit.

I guess I am gonna keep it simple. My buddy put his H buffer in and it worked like a charm. My only question is are there H buffers and H buffer springs or do I just keep the spring the same and swap out buffers?

Is there a go to website for a gun newb? I was looking into buying a riffle but don't have the slightest idea on what to get, where to buy, etc. Mostly just want to go to a range and shoot targets.

Is there a go to website for a gun newb? I was looking into buying a riffle but don't have the slightest idea on what to get, where to buy, etc. Mostly just want to go to a range and shoot targets.

Aside from gun forums, not really. If it's your first gun I heavily suggest a .22LR rifle, either a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin Mod60. It's not scary cool like an AK and the cartridge is kind of laughable at first, but it's cheap to shoot (500rds for ~$20) and you learn good fundamentals on a low recoil weapon. Trust me, shooting .22 is like crack, and once you feel comfortable enough to move up to a centerfire rifle, you'll thank me when you don't have a flinch. :)

I don't really know any sites off the top of my head. Google can hook you up if you have any specific questions. There is alot of advice out there --- not all of it great. If you read something somewhere try to verify it in a few places before taking it to the bank.

My suggestion for a rifle that meets your requirements is a Ruger 10/22. It's the quintessential .22lr rifle for plinking/target shooting. It shoots a 22 caliber bullet which is one of the cheapest rounds you can get. They are very good guns to practice with and hone ur skills, and they have almost no recoil so its not gonna leave you sore the next day even if you shoot 500 rounds.

Ruger 10/22-RB 22 Long Range Standard Rifle

Cabela's had it on sale I believe for cheaper than that. Rounds for .22 are dirt cheap. I suggest Cabela's because its convenient for a gun rookie. Their prices aren't always the best but its easy--you don't have to search around or worry about getting a firearm shipped to licensed dealers and paying transfer fees--the federal government makes shipping a pain in the ass.

Buying a 10/22 is a great first rifle if you're a complete gun newb, but after a few trips to the range (if you're any real red blooded human being) you'll start wishing you were shooting something a bit more powerful.

From that point, you're opening a huge can of worms.

The most basic question to ask yourself is "what is this gun's purpose?". All guns should have one for the owner. Even if it's just to go punch holes in targets at the range, or shooting water filled milk jugs to see them blow up.

If you're wanting to go hunting for deer, elk, etc the most common answer is a simple bolt action .30-06 or similar caliber rifle.

For personal defense against looters or the odd zombie apocalypse, a AR or AK style carbine would be a good choice.

Home defense, a pump action shotgun (remington 870 or mossberg for example) would fit the bill, or you can start considering handguns (semi auto is the most popular choice).

For bird hunting a semi auto or over/under shotgun that can handle a variety of shell sizes ( 2 /34", 3" or 3 1/2" in 12 gauge).

For sport shooting like trap or skeet, you'd need to get a shotgun more designed for trap/skeet, mainly a over/under shotgun that will cost you an arm and a leg.

Then finally, if you're really a gun enthusiast, you can get into IPDA, 3 gun, or other practical shooting sports. For those you'd have to determine what category you want to shoot in, read the rules, and figure out what types of firearms you'd have to buy to compete with. And unless you're rich, you'll need to start considering getting into reloading.

But yeah, a .22 ruger is a good first start.

Found videos on the 10/22, very informative for a newb like me:

Decided on the no thrills Ruger 10/22 Birchwood Stock & Blued Barrel. Found a local retailer selling them for $210, which seems like a pretty good deal.

Cool, I'll look into the .22lr. Thanks for the help.

yeah the 22LR is great for small game if your into rabbits and shit.
Its a pretty good survivalist round.
And is not to bad for home defense "when using the AR style weapons with 30 round mags" Someone coming in your house would not want to get hit with this round. There is no recoil and you can put 5 rounds on target to someones face head area with noooo effort.

(Fun facts: the US and Bristish special operations used these weapons in World WAR2 with silencers for close in work. Bullets to the back of the head type work. Also the Mossad uses this round in their assassination squads.):popcorn:

edit: TaaWAR on second thought just get the full size battle rifle like a galil or the AK or an AR 556.

Cheaperthandirt.com has some decent ammo prices. I just dropped $110 on 500 7.62 and $120 on 500 rounds of .223! Not as good as when it was $99 for 1k rounds of .223. I miss those days.

I will add this to my existing 7k rounds of ammo!

Back