MRSA - Are you familiar with it?

No bacitracin is used to treat MRSA. Its pretty evil stuff which is why it is topical application only. You can't use it to treat a systemic MRSA infection.

I've always been taught to clean the fuck out of cuts, even if its really bad, before you even get to the hospital if needed. I cut half-way through my thumb along the inside of the grip all the way into the bone with a paper cutter, and had to clean it out while the skin was hanging off the bone.

Its no fun, but if it keeps you from losing your entire thumb/hand/arm, its worth a few mins of pain cleaning it out with soap/water/alcohol/iodine, and dressing it with neosporin till its closed. Never did go to the hospital, now I got a funky smiley face looking thumb print cause the skin flap didn't align when it healed. Strangely enough, the thumb print eventually adjusted to align properly on each side of the scar, so it didn't change the pattern other than a giant scar running down the side.

Last edited:
When I had my kid, the hospital sent the placenta for tests because of complications during the delivery. The inside of the placenta tested positive for MRSA, but neither of us were infected. He wasn't allowed to go back into the nursery and I was quarantined in my hospital room for 3 or 4 days. I was given rounds of some heavy antibiotic just to be safe, but my OB/GYN (who was not present for the delivery) was completely baffled. No one had any idea how it could've happened. I'm just glad neither of us were actually sick.

When I had my kid, the hospital sent the placenta for tests because of complications during the delivery. The inside of the placenta tested positive for MRSA, but neither of us were infected. He wasn't allowed to go back into the nursery and I was quarantined in my hospital room for 3 or 4 days. I was given rounds of some heavy antibiotic just to be safe, but my OB/GYN (who was not present for the delivery) was completely baffled. No one had any idea how it could've happened. I'm just glad neither of us were actually sick.

Thats crazy, makes you wonder whether the testing was contaminated by hospital staff or surfaces.

Have you had it?

MRSA infection - MayoClinic.com
MRSA Infection Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Prevention and Diagnosis on MedicineNet.com

This stuff is nasty. I've heard people talking about it a lot the last year or so. The infection can eat right through you and come out the other side. It requires surgery and other nasty treatment.

The sudden spike in my interest is due to a scrape on my ankle that I'm watching very closely.

Links:

* No pics because they are pretty gross.

I had a staph infection several months ago, was put on the regular antiobotics plus antiobotics for the resistant strain- but don't know if it was MRSA because the antibiotics worked. My dr. told me that now it's about a 40% chance a staph infection is mrsa which is way up from just a couple of years ago. If this is even close to accurate I have a hard time believing 99% of them come directly from hospitals- the bacteria has evolved quickly. The only problem is that the antibiotics completely fucked up my stomach for over a month, and went from 165lbs to 150lbs and still havent put all the weight back on.

That's what I'm worried about, but as of this morning I wasn't showing any signs of anything that serious. I just wanted to hear from people that had it and such while I watch to make sure this isn't the staph infection from hell.

From what I remember it's hard to test for MRSA accurately, if you get a staph infection the dr. will probably advise you to play it safe and assume it is. Just keep your eyes out for the red circle and nasty puss to know if it's infected, and you'll run a fever if it's staph.

Once again, you're confusing Bacitracin, with Bactroban (the nasal version of Mupirocin).

See here:

Bactroban Information from Drugs.com

You can still use Bacitracin to treat MRSA although there are more strains of MRSA resistant to Bacitracin than there are to Bactroban, but again there are a number of MRSA resistant to Bactroban now these days also. And again these are still both for dermal infections. Usually end up breaking out the vancomycin for systemic infection.

its not difficult to tell if its mrsa or just plain ol' staph. they have to do a culture. yes, almost all of the mrsa infections come from health care facilities. docs just *DONT* follow good hygiene in general. they will always shake your hand. did they wash before/after they did it? probably not. scary stuff.

my dad just lost half his lower leg because he got a complication from an ankle replacement. it got infected with mrsa, and after two cleanout surgeries, a massive round of 'vanc via picc line (that is a self-administered IV line) - 6 weeks or so, he just couldnt shake it. after about 8 months of this back & forth, surgeries, nuclear doses of antibiotics, it just made sense to cut the damn thing off before it went septic.

it is a really nasty bug, and it almost always comes from the hospital. its just like the old days now - do whatever you can to stay out of the hospital.

My cousin has MRSA and has had it for about a year. Its like... in his knee-caps or something and every month or so he has to use crutches because he can't bend his knees.

Ask Fngr.
It took until the 30th post before someone finally differentiated between "Community-aquired" MRSA or [Ca]MRSA versus "Hospital-aquired' or [Ha]MRSA.

As far as [Ca]MRSA being "rare" as someone reported, that is a misconception. The chances of a person becoming seriously ill from [Ca]MRSA is rare--especially if the person doesn't have a compromised immune system. Think about the nomenclature, community-aquired; that sh*t is pretty much everywhere & some believe that our over-usage of antimicrobial products is partly to blame.

Now on the other hand if you develop an infection of [Ha]MRSA and your immune system is compromised--be it an infected wound or septicemia (body-wide)--then you may have a more serious problem on your hands. Basically, the fewer co-morbidities and the less predisposition to infection you have the better off your chances are for recovery...although you'll probably, almost certainly, remain 'colonized' with MRSA for the remainder of your life.

Most hospitals have adopted the "MRSA IS EVERYWHERE" attitude and are no longer isolating confirmed cases patients with active MRSA or history of the infection. My hospital continues to isolate patients with history or newly confirmed culture.
I hear ya...

Here recently we had to terminally clean a number of patient rooms because of Acinetobacter baumannii. Nasty little pathogen.

Back