monitor took a shit! looking to get a new [ws]

CoJack

Veteran XV
Veteran XX
was curious if anyone on the boards uses a widescreen for gaming?

heard mixed reviews, but simply just wanted to know if you're all happy and if you could possibly lend me some recommendations as to what i should invest in?

looking @samsung 22' [ws] rightnow. looks nice =p

YES!

I have a Dell e228wfp. It's the value model, but it's EXTREMELY crisp and clear compared to a CRT. It's a 22" screen which runs at 1600*1080.

This is the value model. I got it for $300 at dell.com (it was on sale). They have a more deluxe model, but I heard the only difference was that the deluxe has more inputs in the back. (This one has VGA, DVI, and power.)

I just bought two ViewSonic VG2230wm and I love them. So big and so sexxxxxxxy.

$300 each at newegg, 22 inch wide screen, 5ms response.

widescreen > *

never going back to 4:3 for any reason

only games that don't work with WS are the battlefield series and like one other game

so gaming wise, you all feel comfortable with widescreen?

edit: that's what i wanted it for, battlefield 2142. =[

what's so horrible about it?

Radeon drivers will stretch games out so the monitor doesn't have to. Tribes (which does widescreen but only at 1440*960 not at 1600*1080) looks perfect on my monitor, and WC3 (which only does 4:3) doesn't look stretched out.

so gaming wise, you all feel comfortable with widescreen?

edit: that's what i wanted it for, battlefield 2142. =[

what's so horrible about it?

EA refuses to let people have WS (supposedly an "advantage" over those who don't have WS) :|

ouch!

so the picture is reduced to 4:3? leaving empty areas of black? ugh

edit: thx for your input kloa, and others.

Last edited:
well i've played 2142, i think it just stretches it

battlefield 2 i believe had black bars on the sides

was curious if anyone on the boards uses a widescreen for gaming?

heard mixed reviews, but simply just wanted to know if you're all happy and if you could possibly lend me some recommendations as to what i should invest in?

looking @samsung 22' [ws] rightnow. looks nice =p

i bought the samsung 22" 225BW on black friday for $200...so far it has been an amazing monitor...

Widescreen is superior to Fullscreen in every way. Look straight ahead of you. Do you think your vision is a 4:3 box? No. You see more horizontal than vertical.

Back