Marweas still hasnt told us about getting fired

Hey Qix, Whos idea was it to have player indicators that you could see through walls for T2? I know there were lots of cappers from t1 that hated t2 simply because it flat out made it way too easy for the defense, (Which i would agree with). I'm not trying to bash anyone, but why would u include player indicators that virtually made it impossible for a capper not to be noticed (Which was a core element in t1)? Thanks :).

i'd also like to mention that the driving simulator i took lessons on in highschool was made by dynamix. it was pretty rad, and you could find their office in the world.

Falhawk...no shots at individuals were taken. I don't really *know* which voices contributed to the fall of Dynamix...but I know there were more than a few, and most of them thought they could do better than Dyanmix could. Whether they succeeded in their goals or not is dependent on whether you liked the game they released after Dynamix's demise, I suppose. But it was backstabbing, no matter how you slice it.

Falhawk...no shots at individuals were taken. I don't really *know* which voices contributed to the fall of Dynamix...but I know there were more than a few, and most of them thought they could do better than Dyanmix could. Whether they succeeded in their goals or not is dependent on whether you liked the game they released after Dynamix's demise, I suppose. But it was backstabbing, no matter how you slice it.

alright I can dig

I liked siege as well.

T2 classic is a badass game.

DisK...it was too long ago and I don't really remember who made that decision. I okay'ed almost every design decision though, so blame me. If I remember correctly (and I'm not sure that I do), that feature was designed to allow folks to more easily chase fast-moving targets, which was one of those "mass-appeal" changes I mentioned. Newbs to the game never had any idea where a capper went or how to chase them because they would seem to just simply vanish from one moment to the next.

I think that's the reason. It has been a loooong time since we had that discussion and I'm not sure any longer.

Did Dynamix have any (even rudimentary) plans for T3 before being shut down? Were there plans for other games outside of Tribes? Basically, besides the obvious, what did the gaming community lose out on when Dynamix closed down?

DisK...it was too long ago and I don't really remember who made that decision. I okay'ed almost every design decision though, so blame me. If I remember correctly (and I'm not sure that I do), that feature was designed to allow folks to more easily chase fast-moving targets, which was one of those "mass-appeal" changes I mentioned. Newbs to the game never had any idea where a capper went or how to chase them because they would seem to just simply vanish from one moment to the next.

I think that's the reason. It has been a loooong time since we had that discussion and I'm not sure any longer.

Ah, Cool. Well I guess that makes sense that you were trying to appeal to a more noob crowd, trying to make it more easily accessible and such. I think it was a big mistake, but thats in the past :). Thanks for the response.

This will be the greatest thread this year.

Arclight said:
Did Dynamix have any (even rudimentary) plans for T3 before being shut down? Were there plans for other games outside of Tribes? Basically, besides the obvious, what did the gaming community lose out on when Dynamix closed down?
I would like to second these questions.

It sucked that T2 got released while Sierra was being purchased by V-U so that management had little or no focus on the game and the bean counters ruled the school, insisting on ship dates rather than quality. It was obvious to everyone in Sierra and Dynamix that T2 wasn't ready to ship, but when the company says "ship it", dev teams can either quit in a huff, or ship it and try to fix it after ship. The latter is what we tried to do. We had to put a good company face on it, and try to spin it positive, but only because we were employees...not because we thought it was a good idea.

That’s unfortunate that T2 was forced out of the door. The bugs and unfinished feeling that I got from the game is what turned me off in the first place. With all of the crashing and constant patches to download over a 56k connection it just wasn’t worth the effort for me. I remember feeling like Tribes 2 was the worst $50 that I ever spent on a game, simply because I couldn’t even play it. But going back to it years later now that it’s all patched up, it’s actually a whole lot of fun. It’s nothing like the “worst $50 I ever spent” that I remembered. I wish I gave it a second chance a long time ago when there was a much larger community. Overall it was a pretty worthy sequel IMO.

Anyway at least Planetside rocked for a while (until BFRs). But then again, maybe that has been fixed up since I quit. Maybe I should go check out that reserves program.

Last edited:
Back