Marweas still hasnt told us about getting fired

My only gripe with T2 in its 'current' state (I haven't played it in months), is that the flag indicator on your hud when someone steals it is just too easy to snipe with.

One thing that keeps getting danced around and never really addressed -

T:V was successful for the purpose of what the majority of the game was designed as - a single player game. The single player portion of the game was, well, a couple of notches short of fabulous, but one helluva ride.

The multiplayer was the let down.

Tribes was filler until the big ones launched. Think of it as the Windows ME of VUG. Some good points, but doomed to market failure by leaps and bounds. Destined to become the bastard child corporate writes off, forgets about, and puts in a dusty filing cabinet in some back yard storage room off the company site.

Tribes fell into the wrong corporate hands and the franchise died with the decision. Plain and simple.

Dynamix and GG cared about the title and it's success. VUG only cared about anything running on Steam. Everything else was just another title to add to their list of "shit we've done cuz we're big" list.

Once the Tribes-experienced developers got tired of getting beat up on at work as well as the community, they did what anyone else would have done. They said "Fuck this shit" and split. It wasn't worth it anymore. Control of what would happen to Tribes was out of their hands from the moment the project started. It just took an immense amount of time for them to not only admit it to us, but also to themselves.

Honestly, I doubt 75% of the people who have posted in this thread would have stuck it out half as long as they did.

The day of release at my local EBgames they had an entire like 25 foot wall for the game. Then they had more copies stacked up on the counter. The day I bought it and brought it home was the day it had to go back on the shelf because my Celeron 500 couldnt handle it.

Anyone still have the screenshot of GameSpy stats the day of release, I cant remmember exactly how many players were online but I remmember it being a pretty good amount of people online the first day.

Are you talking about T:V or T2? I don't think you could even play T:V for like a week cuz of some server issue

They'd just have to solve the multiplayer vehicle problem.

Did you forget about the Half Life 2 Buggy you can get? The engine would have worked, its highly modable. The best part is, it wouldnt be just a source mod. You wouldnt even be able to tell its the source engine.

Well, it's fun to play in fantasy land, but honestly I don't think it would have mattered. If you make a graph of the sales history of games, almost every one has a very similar shape. The majority of your sales are in the first four or five weeks and then it levels out and slopes down. Games have higher or lower peaks, but the overall shape of the chart is remarkably similar for most.

So what that says is that you can't overcome a bad launch. It doesn't matter how great the game turns out after patches, people have moved on and won't look back. It's really an awareness issue - how do you communicate that the game is better? How do you get over the hurdle of someone's initial impression that the game wasn't their cup of tea? These are very difficult questions.

Just take a look at Anarchy Online, which had a dismal launch, but from all accounts is actually quite fun and playable now. Doesn't matter, I'm pretty sure they're not acquiring new subscribers faster than they're losing them.

Again, though, this is purely fantasy. There was never going to be a big patch, much less two or more. The patch that you guys envision in your head was never going to get made - the reality of the patch we talked about and then killed was that it fixed a few very minor issues and could have introduced new ones of its own.
(BECAUSE I CERTAINLY DO, AND DESPITE T:V "sucking" I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT LEFT BECAUSE OF NO PATCH)
I believe a lot more people would have played if there was a patch. Maybe not enough to make it a suitable sequel to the (perfect) game known as T1, but at least enough to have supported more competition. I know probably over a hundred people that left the game because they knew there was no tournament mode and none in the works and because of a buggy game that was getting no support. Most of these people really enjoyed the game... but could not stand to support it because of no developer support.

And thats just people I know, what about the grand scheme of things?

Are you talking about T:V or T2? I don't think you could even play T:V for like a week cuz of some server issue

I remember this clearly. When the game was handed off to VUG, they stuck a CD check in the programs, including the standalone server.

It took a few days for VUG to clear the way for an untainted server binary to come out.

On another note, thank you Weas Menzo and all other devs/higher ups who decided to chime in. I think I speak for the majority of TW (the community) when I say we are grateful to hear from you guys. :heart: :D

With a group of collegues we bought T1 immediately (december 98 right?) and started playing T1.
I remember the fun I had without skiing and dropping with a group of heavies from the T1 transport, mortars blazing. Yes people the transports were used back then before skiing :p
When skiing arrived I was kind neutral on the whole idea. The game was fun for me without it, but the possibilities it created were definitely fun too.
Looking at the later days however I started to hate the incoming HO and the fact that if your base was down you could hardly get it back up (all public play).
Minedisking was the final straw for me to get tired of T1.
Some people feel that this is part of the learning curve, but the fun curve became a steep line downwards for me.

Then came T2 and I was sold to the normal Base gameplay. Never liked Classic, too much same old same old. The base gameplay offered a depth for me that was a lot more fun then the 'simple' T1 experience. You could just 'do' more with all the diffent pack and items. I loved the sneaking with sensor jammer and being invisible because you could counter a well setup defense grid in ways that T1 made impossible.

Along came T:V and it certainly took some getting used to, which problem I did not have in T1->T2. It grew on me and I liked it, although the same problem in as in T1 occurred, some levels were badly designed and when your base was down in pub play, you were never going to get it back up. T2 was a bit better in that aspect in my opinion. I liked the singleplay (and still have to finish it) but the lack of people and decent gamebalance quickly decided me to quit. It is a shame because I did like some of the packs and the overall feel of the game.

Just a question for the devs, if you could make your perfect tribe game, what would it be like?

I haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone explained why with 2 sequels and hundreds of threads the devs couldn't give everyone what they wanted: Tribes1 with better graphics?

And more importantly, why hasn't the Tribes1 source code been found and released so the greatest multiplayer game of all time can live on in renewed form?

And more importantly, why hasn't the Tribes1 source code been found and released so the greatest multiplayer game of all time can live on in renewed form?
As to the question of the Tribes 1 source... believe me, if it were within my power to release it, I would. Unfortunately, it's not my source to give. Therein lies the problem of working on somebody else's dime -- you don't own the fruits of your labors. I think it's a shame that there's an active player base of a seven year old game and they can't get the source code to fix a few problems with an otherwise stellar game.

Fuck you. I've managed to put together a 2 year research project that will actually be published without errors. People will build off of my work, people will look at T:V as an example of how not to produce and launch a game.

Good god you're a fucking tool.

Have fun working at Chilis for years after college, proclaiming how awesome your research project was.

Hint: In the real world, nobody gives a shit about a research project you did in college.

I'm pretty sure he's doing post grad in a field people do give a shit about, but I could be wrong.

That's not saying he's not acting like a tool in that quote, cause he is.

Did you forget about the Half Life 2 Buggy you can get? The engine would have worked, its highly modable. The best part is, it wouldnt be just a source mod. You wouldnt even be able to tell its the source engine.

You mean the buggy that was extremely laggy and other players couldn't even see the guy driving it?

i really didn't want to chime in on this thread, but I gotta.

1: No t3 game would have succeeded IN THIS COMMUNITY.
2: As soon as I heard which game engine was chosen, I knew T:V was likely going to suck. The engine just wasn't suited to a tribes game - part of the appeal has always been the idea of "go wherever, buddy", and the UT engine couldn't handle that. It's a great engine for what it is, but playing inside a box just isn't tribes for most people. the best engine choice, from a purely non-coder point of view would have been the Crytek, to me. Partly for the amazing handling of indoor and outdoor environments in a seamless manner, partly for its incredible rendering abilities, and partly for just how HUGE you could make worlds.
all that said, I don't know how it would have performed in a multiplayer sense, and I also don't know how hellish it would have been to mod out for the dev team to work to their spec.
3: I cannot believe the ignorance demonstrated in this thread about how (a) the video game industry works and (b) how that industry meshes into a huge megalithic corporation (eg VUG). I never even touched mainstream gaming development, working on a little free project on the side with a bunch of other volunteers (and not even doing any CODING or anything remotely like it), but I was afforded the opportunity to speak with some people who were better connected than I and the stories they told me pretty much could have come straight out of Dilbert- if Dilbert was more horror than hilarity, anyway.

ANYWAY

HUGE thank you to marweas, menzo, thrax, etc for stopping in and talking to us - and nice guest appearances by other t1/t2 devs, as well.

Back